Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   picking your prenatal provider (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23312)

wbkt8 07-19-2006 08:24 AM

picking your prenatal provider

so last time i was pg i practically called the dr's office (well nurse midwife's office) before dh (lol). this time i'm still trying to decide which provider to go with. i'm seriously considering a midwife/homebirth or birth center option. dh says he's ok with it, but i'm still uncertain. i'm not exactly sure about what - maybe just what happens if things don't go smoothly w/ this pregnancy. i also have found a really good nurse-midwife practice here (hospital deliveries) that i'm considering as well. i've met with one of the cnms and liked her & her approach.

anyway, when did you arrange for your first prenatal visit?

if you've used both a cnm & a direct entry midwife - could you provide some compare/contrast?

i'm thinking that i'd like to call the midwife i'm considering and see about asking her some more questions (just about how things go, contingency planning, etc.) - any questions i should definitely ask?

i need to get some more prenatals soon too (almost out of my current batch) - does anyone have a recommendation of a good OTC brand?

boobyfeeder 07-19-2006 12:28 PM

Re: picking your prenatal provider

Ok, I am planning a UC homebirth, but I was interviewing hb m/w earlier on. At the moment I am receiving care through a medwife whom I love, but she does hospital births only. Anyway, I will put the list of ?s I had at the end of this post. Prenatals, I just get Spring Something or other (can't remember the name), the generic brand at Walmart. Cheap and 100 count. I would definitely interview lots of different m/w, you want to click with the one you end up using. Here's the list:

How, when, and where did you receive your midwifery education?
Is your certification in neonatal resuscitation up to date?
What is your rate of transport? cesarean? Episiotomies?
Do you participate in regular peer reviews?
Do you have midwife or OB backup?
How many women are due within a month of my due date?
What is your plan if someone else is in labor when I am?
What are your labor induction techniques?
Do you carry an oxygen tank to births?
What methods do you suggest to alleviate labor pains?
To what hospital do you transport if this becomes necessary? Who will go with me?
What makes a hospital transfer necessary?
How often will you make postpartum visits?
What do you do if the baby is presenting breech?
Do you give eye ointment/vitamin K shot to the baby?
What do you do if there is meconium in the water?
How would you control postpartum hemorrhaging?
References?
Would we need to have the dog and cats elsewhere? Are any possible attendants allergic?
How often do you do internal exams? Monitor baby’s heart rate?
Do you test for Group B strep? If so, how is it treated?
What is your personal style and/or procedure during labor?
How many babies have you delivered? Homebirths? Water births?
How far past the official due date will you allow me to go? What happens if I pass that point?
When during labor should I call you?
Can the cord be allowed to pulse before cutting? Can we give the baby time to breastfeed right upon birth before disturbing it to clean/weigh and so on?
If I am 10cm dilated but don’t feel the urge to push, what would your response be?
What do you do if I tear? Can you stitch me or does an MD have to?
What emergency equipment do you bring to the delivery?
Do you recommend any herbs to help with during pregnancy? Starting labor? after labor pains, both internal and external?
What do you do with the placenta?
Do you consider yourself hands-on or hands-off? Why?

boobyfeeder 07-19-2006 12:28 PM

dp

wbkt8 07-19-2006 12:34 PM

thanks that's a helpful list. there are some things on there i hadn't considered asking yet, but would like to know.

Julesmom23girls 07-19-2006 02:09 PM

I can't give you any info on the birthing situation, but when lookingat prenatals check the amount of folate, and iron. Those are the big ones that you want extra of during pregnancy. Calcium is important too, but taking iron and calcium at the same time isn't good, one blocks the absorption of the other and they go wasted. Just FYI

heather_c 07-19-2006 03:34 PM

I would definitely set up an appointment to interview the homebirth/bc midwife. It will give you the opportunity to ask all the questions you have. I firmly believe, that after the interview with the midwife, you will either have a peace about her or you will firm up your decision to use the CNMs. Good luck with your decision!

wbkt8 07-19-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather_c
I would definitely set up an appointment to interview the homebirth/bc midwife. It will give you the opportunity to ask all the questions you have. I firmly believe, that after the interview with the midwife, you will either have a peace about her or you will firm up your decision to use the CNMs. Good luck with your decision!

thanks that's what i'm hoping. i'm not exactly sure what my "concern" is, but hopefully i'll be able to flesh it out. i'm going to interview her tomorrow.

it's kinda funny though - i just don't feel a huge "urge" to see anyone about this yet. not like last time. i think i'm still at the reminding myself that i'm actually pg stage though.

wbkt8 07-20-2006 11:50 AM

i spoke with the midwife today and asked a ton of questions (thanks boobyfeeder for the great list) and i feel so good about going this route! thank you everyone for your encouragement.

heather_c 07-20-2006 06:28 PM

I am so excited for you! I am trying to decide between a homebirth or an OB for my future VBAC births. I know when the time comes, I will pursue both routes and go with the option I have a peace about. Keep us posted about your pregnancy.