Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   For mamas who had vaginal delivery? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233273)

sunfish_mom 09-24-2007 07:34 AM

For mamas who had vaginal delivery?

I have a question for mamas who have had vaginal delivery or to any midwives or doulas.
A little background first. I have given birth to 3 BIG healthy boys all naturally. Well 2 were 100% natural and the 1 in the middle was induced with petocin. I never recieved pain meds with any of them. I also refused IV's but said ok to monitors(they didn't give me much choice).
So this question is about my youngest one wieghing in at 10lbs 12 oz after 1 hour and 41 minutes of labor starting from my first contraction. After the the baby was out and I had delivered the placenta the docter was trying to see if I needed any stitches. She said she had to stop the bleeding first so she could see better. So here is the wierd part(wierd to me). She took her whole arm and shoved it all the way up inside me to her elbow and started scooping out blood. She did this about 6 times or so. I know a baby can come out but I never thought a persons whole arm could fit all the way up me so I was bit freaked. So was my friend who was with me. Now remeber I was on NO pain meds of any sort. Honestly there wasn't time if I had wanted them.
Now you know my mini birth story of my youngest. Has this ever happened to any of you mamas? Any midwives or Doulas here done or seen this done? It seems odd and I've never heard of such a thing so wanted to cash in on eveyone elses experience

Jonesy 09-24-2007 07:50 AM

Re: For mamas who had vaginal delivery?

I had that done with my first child. Evidently the placenta did not come out fully intact and the dr. wanted to make sure that ALL of it was out (which i'm extremely happy about). And yes, dr. had arm ALL the way up passed the elbow. It was somewhat disconcerting to watch but very effective. Had no negative side affects, all placenta was removed, and things returned to normal on a regular timetable.
It was actually a blessing, because it kept me more focused on that and not on the fact that Dr's were frantically trying to get my new ds to breath on the crash cart in the corner of the room. That sounds odd too, but I would have freaked out even more had I known all that was happening. DH was aware of both things and also happy that I was distracted and not freaking out. Thankfully, we had amazing Dr's and within minutes my boy was fine (I still didn't get to see him for SEVERAL HOURS and I hated that but in the grand scheam of things happ that they took such good care of him). Now I have a non-stop 3year old :lostit:

Gigi079 09-24-2007 07:59 AM

Yes.. i have seen this at a couple of births I have been at.. and My mom told me this was common around here awhile back to go internally to make sure they didn't forget sponges and stuff that they use to stop the bleeding

beautiful8 09-24-2007 07:59 AM

I am not 100% sure about this, but that sounds incredibly intrusive and I would have kicked that doctor right in his frekaing face, period end of story.

I am assuming (not by knowing but simply logicaly reasoning here) that there are other ways of allow the uterus to expel whats in it. For one, when you get up to go potty after delivery, for two, uterine massage...

I have had the uterine massage done in hospital and I did iton my own with my last delivery, but NEVER had someone stick their whole hand up in there.

Didn't that hurt like H*LL?

beautiful8 09-24-2007 08:00 AM

oh and btw, I am a DONA trianed birth doula :) but I have not read anything up on this that just seems like I said incredibly WRONG.

Jillybean 09-24-2007 08:46 AM

I've heard of this happening when the placenta doesn't come loose right or the uterus kinda turns inside out when its coming out. Doesn't sound pleasant but I guess compared to the size of your baby whats an arm.

momanderson 09-24-2007 09:22 AM

I had this done after my last birth. I am a red haired bleeder! After my third I needed IV meds to slow the heavy bleeding, so the last time I told them that and they got meds ready but didn't use them. The doctor went in and pulled out several large clots and checked for internal tearing. It was uncomfortable especially since he had just stiched me up! But in the grand scheme of birth with no pain meds it hurt a lot less than a baby coming out!

mamoo3 09-24-2007 09:33 AM

I had this done at my 1st birth, she said there was some placenta left inside. It was sooo painful and was worse than the birth. She had her arm in up to the elbow and had a nurse pushing down on the top of my stomach! It does seem wrong! At my third birth I had some placenta left inside, and my midwife got it out with just her fingers! Of course, now that I have read more about it, I don't think any placenta would have been left inside if no one was pulling on the cord!

afishwithabike 09-24-2007 09:43 AM

My mid-wife had to pull clots out with my DD. I stood up and pushed out as much as I could. Then she did the rest with her hands. I don't think she put her entire arm up there though.

sunfish_mom 09-24-2007 11:07 AM

I'm happy to know I am not alone in this. I had just never heard of such a thing. And then to have it happen to me was concerning. The doctor had tugged on the placenta as well to get it to come AFTER giving me petocin to deliver it. With this being my third birth it seemed she had jumped the gun a bit and seemed to rush the placenta delivery. It was like she was expecting the baby to have his arms wrapped around it on his way out like a bloody life raft and since he didn't she just HAD to get in there. She had said she needed to check if I needed stitches(I didn't) so that was why she cleared the blood. She also mentioned that this would shorten my post partum bleeding. It didn't. I bled about 5 weeks which is the longest I have bled PP. Granted I didn't have any huge gushes or large clots that i am used to. My main reason for asking you all about this is that I was worried she may have caused damage. I see other mamas went on to concieve and deliver healthy babies after such an intrusive procedure so I shouldn't worry much. Not that I'm TTC or will be soon. Gotta have a man for that! Right?