Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Does this sound like my dd is a heavy wetter? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23367)

runningdiva 07-19-2006 11:32 AM

Does this sound like my dd is a heavy wetter?

DD is almost 6 weeks old, she is my first and we have cd'd her since she came home from the hospital so I have nothing to compare her to....
I have been mostly using prefolds but have now incorporated some pockets and a few fitteds. She absolutley hates a wet diaper and will cry the minute it gets wet and then is happy again. As a result of this I will change her upwards of three times an hour after she nurses. In fact, each time she feeds I can certaintly expect three diaper changes in a row. This of course has resulted in a TON of diaper changes.
Recently, I put in a Little Beetle Hemp fitted with the hemp doubler. I left the cover off to see how long it would take her to soak through it. Sure enough within one hour the outside of the diaper was damp. Is that normal?? This diaper feels pretty heavy duty. I thought people used this one for heavy wetters over night and my dd is going through it in an hour..... Would you classify her as a super soaker??

SoftBumBaby 07-19-2006 11:41 AM

Re: Does this sound like my dd is a heavy wetter?

I think that classifies her as a heavy wetter. I have a 6-week-old too...When is your daughter's birthday? My son's is June 9th. Anyway, once an hour wouldn't be way out of hand, but three times in an hour, even after a feeding, sounds like a lot to me. I think probably the average at 2-3 months should be once every 1-3 hours.

I'm new to cloth diapering too, so I don't have any great advice except to use doublers and to maybe check into some of the "heavy soaker" dipes and/or microfleece/superabsorbent materials. (We're ok w/just IPFs and covers but as I said, my DS is not really a heavy wetter.) Good luck!

blondeviolin 07-19-2006 12:03 PM

I'd say so! Abby is seven weeks and goes through about 8 dipes a day or so. She usually doesn't have a huge complaint about being wet unless she's been in the diaper for along time...but we're also using mostly pockets with microfleece or suedecloth. Anyway...if I'd let her, she could probably make about 5 or 6 with a MOE insert.

Samantha 07-19-2006 12:05 PM

I just want to point out though...that its not uncommon for a fitted diaper to feel wet on the outside. It means the fabric is doing its job and absorbing well. Unless the diaper was saturated I wouldnt think heavy wetter....It just sounds like she is a normal baby who pees several times. DD use to pee about every 20 minutes.

Now that shes older she holds it longer....so diaper changes have slowed down.

I only said the thinga bout the fitteds being wet on the outside...because there are a lot of people who assume just because the diaper is wet on the outside there isnt enough absorbency in it....while this could be true in SOME cases...its not always true. Its just sad to see someone get rid of a diaper because they think fitteds shouldnt be wet on the outside when wet.

SheilaJoy 07-19-2006 12:25 PM

I agree with Samantha. At 6 weeks, babies pee almost constantly, so a dipe being damp on the outside after an hour isn't bad at all. It's hard to tell if a baby is going to be a super soaker until they get a little bigger.

runningdiva 07-19-2006 03:49 PM

Thanks ladies. I didn't know that about fitteds feeling wet and it not being soaked through. I was actually contemplating getting rid of a couple of my Little Bettles for that reason.

Angela

negrapy 07-19-2006 04:57 PM

my 7 month old son can wet through a little beetle in a less time :)

SAHMLamar 07-19-2006 06:40 PM

If the diapers are not totally saturated through and through, she may just need some microfleece liners to help her feel dry. Or you could try your hand at pockets. This hating to be wet feeling, I'm told, will be a good thing when it comes to PL. Hey, you could even try EC (but then you'd miss out on all that cute fluff!)