Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What do I ask a midwife? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233869)

Mom2BabiesA&I 09-24-2007 06:58 PM

What do I ask a midwife?

So this midwife I am interviewing tomorrow...what on EARTH do I ask her?

On the message she left me (I was gone to class when she called) she sounded so nice and so normal and so *not* dr-ish...it was wonderful to hear her and hear how mellow she sounded.

Obviously I have to ask if she takes my insurance at all...and I gotta find out if in a moment of weakness or extreme need if she will "allow" an epidural or not or if they would help me try and get through without an epi....

What other suggestions have you got for things I should ask her on the phone?

Thanks!!!

MamaToBe84 09-24-2007 07:00 PM

Re: What do I ask a midwife?

maybe ask her how many people end up having to be switched for c-sections? all i can think of right now, sorry!

ChoiceSoaps 09-25-2007 03:20 AM

If this is an interview for a planned homebirth, I would definitely ask about % of women who transport to the hosp and reasons why she would think a transport is necessary. I spoke with about a dozen midwives before finding mine. Some raved about homebirth. When I asked for stats, they had up to a 50% tranfer rate!! I was very surprised given everything else they had stated about natural homebirth. Some of the reasons given were not ones I would want to go to the hosp for (e.g., slow progression). This became my #1 question for weeding out those who might be a good match for me and those who definitely weren't.

onlyaglimmer 09-25-2007 08:05 AM

I actually emailed my midwife this list of questions... (for a planned homebirth)

1. what is included in the fees? what will i need to provide?
2. at what point in my labor will you or your assistant come to my home?
3. what is your hospital transfer rate?
4. How many clients do you have due in any 4 week period, and what is the plan if I go into labor while you're with another laboring client?
5. What is your back-up system during pregnancy and labor—when you go on vacation, are sick or with another mother?
6. Have you ever missed a birth? If so, what were the circumstances?
7. Are you available 24 hours a day at all times?
8. Do you allow the mother to go past 42 weeks and still have a homebirth?
9. Under what circumstances do you transfer to hospital?
10. What is your Cesarean rate? What are the most common reasons?
11. What would be the plan of action if a transfer to hospital were necessary?
12. What care would you give me if I need to transfer?
13. Would you stay with me in the hospital? In the operating room? For how long after the birth?
14. What happens if my perineum needs stitching/suturing?
15. Do you help with cleanup?
16. How long do you stay after the birth?

17/ How do I obtain the baby's birth certificate?
18. How often do you come to see me after I give birth?
19. What do these visits include?
20. How often will I visit you after the birth?
21. What do these visits include?
22. Why are they important?
23. Do you examine the baby at any or all of your visits?
24. What does the examination include?

mom22girls 09-25-2007 08:09 AM

Zany, great list! Can't think of anything you missed!

samsmom 09-25-2007 08:11 AM

If you are planning on being at a center or hospital I would want to know what hospital policies are in effect - in relation to fetal monitoring, birthing in a tub, eating and drinking in labor, bringing items from home to make your room more set for your labor (music, lighting, etc), and will you be in the same room for labor and delivery. Also, if in a hospital - how the nursing staff is assigned or chooses to work with the midwives clients. Our hospital kind of self-selected nurses, so the ones we got were OK with what we were doing. Some are not comfortable with natural birth if they haven't seen many (and most at the hospital have not). Good luck!

benjason 09-25-2007 08:38 AM

I'd ask them about their experience. I think it's important to have a midwive that's had a lot of births. Maybe 100 or more so you know they have lots of experience. I'd also ask them what kind of situations would facilitate a hospital transfer. Midwives are there to help you feel comfortable with them and your decision to homebirth so she should answer any concerns you have.