Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   *Update* Doctor said dd's hips are not lined up. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23400)

9800Emily 07-19-2006 12:57 PM

*Update* Doctor said dd's hips are not lined up.

DD had her 6 month check up today, and something is weird with her hips. The doc could almost dislocate one of her legs and dd didn't care. They also thought that her butt looked crooked :headscratch: ? She said that it was something that could be corrected with out dd ever having any restrictions because of it, so that is good. Worse case is they will have to cast or brace her lower body for an period of time to let the joint heal. They think it has something to do with the way she was in the womb (she stayed under my ribs for ever, and had something when she was born that caused her feet to be blue due to this), and that she was a month early. We had x-rays done right after the appointment, and should find out the official diagnosis later today or tomorrow. Just wondering if any other moms have dealt with this and could tell me what to expect, or what was done for your dc. :goodvibes:

Choose2bgr8 07-19-2006 01:04 PM

Re: Doctor said dd's hips are not lined up.

My hips are crooked. I would HIGHLY suggest seeing a chiropractor before letting your doc do stuff. Just to see if he/she can help. My chiro does a "kids checked free" thing and even xrays are free for him. A good chiro will be frank with you and let you know if he doesn't think he can help.

BTW, I wanted to let you know that even though a doc will tell you chiro is dangerous, it generally isn't. They are really gentle and if you find one that isn't, report him and find another.

9800Emily 07-19-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choose2bgr8
My hips are crooked. I would HIGHLY suggest seeing a chiropractor before letting your doc do stuff. Just to see if he/she can help. My chiro does a "kids checked free" thing and even xrays are free for him. A good chiro will be frank with you and let you know if he doesn't think he can help.

BTW, I wanted to let you know that even though a doc will tell you chiro is dangerous, it generally isn't. They are really gentle and if you find one that isn't, report him and find another.

I actually just made an appointment for next week.

yellowcampcat 07-19-2006 02:04 PM

My dd was breech, so they sent us in for an ultrasound of her hips when she was four weeks old. It turned out ok, but I've heard of other babies having to wear a little brace for awhile to make sure the hips were in the socket fully, etc. Better to deal with it now than later when she gets more mobile. I would second the chiro, too.

skayers01 07-19-2006 02:38 PM

My hips are crooked too! I went to a chiropractor for a while and loved it! She'd always do massage too. It was so nice! :goodvibes:

SandyG 07-19-2006 08:30 PM

sorry dunn ojust :hugs:

9800Emily 07-19-2006 09:01 PM

Stupid doc didn't call. :banghead: I wish they would have just said it would be tomorrow. Waiting is so hard. Even though I know that it is most likely nothing to serious, it is just hard not to have answers.

For those that have crooked hips, is it something that bothers you, are you aware of it all the time?

Anyone know if this is hereditary? I have a half sister that had sever problems with her hips and had to be in a hard cast for a few months, poor baby. She also has some sort of rare syndrome, just cannot remember what it is, that I thought caused the problem with her hips. :headscratch:

DiapeyMom 07-20-2006 07:19 AM

My niece went through this as a baby. I'm sure that chiro's have helped some people w/their hips, but this condition is a bone problem where the socket is flat instead of rounded, so a chiro will not do anything for her. Here's the bad news, the brace is hard for the baby. You have to crank it up every couple days. The baby usually is only out of it for 1 hr a day and cannot crawl or stand in it. They get muscle cramps that feels like a ball on their thighs and you have to massage it out. It lasted for 6 weeks for my neice. Here's the good news: she is currently auditioning for professional parts as a ballerina and is wanted by the NY School of Ballet and the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago at the age of 12!!! It is worth it! My neice's dr said "Do this and one day she will be able to be a ballerina". How did he know???

Good luck & remember...this short time of pain will change her life and you have to be strong to do it, but it's the right thing to do. LMK if you have more ?s.

love2bmom2chris 07-20-2006 07:19 PM

Sounds like hip dysplasia to me (not sure if I spelled it right). They thought my DD had it but she didn't. Symptoms-clicking or popping when doc moves it a certain way, uneven butt checks or thigh folds. Does not hurt the baby. If caught before baby is 6 months, they can wear a Pavlik brace for it. It holds their hip in place so it can "grow" correctly into the socket. If caught inbetween 6-12 months, most of the time baby gets a full body cast (spica cast) in an attempt to correct it. Not to scare you but if the body cast does not work, she could need an open or closed reduction surgery. In a closed one, they make no incisions but just line the hips how they want them and then cast her. In an open, they would have to open her up and surgically fix the problem. Hip Dysplasia is best fixed if caught early. 6 months is borderline for a good/ fairly easy fix. If I were you, I would do a web search for HD and do some research on it just in case. Also, when the baby is 6 months old, an xray should work but if it comes back as negative, I would have them do a hip ultrasound...it shows them the hip and socket better. My DD had an ultrasound done first at about 5 months and an xray at 6 months (they won't do a hip xray before 6 months cuz it won't show them what they need to know at that age-hard to explain but has to do with the development of the ligaments or cartlidge or whatever is in the socket). Sorry for the long reply-I've just been there and done that:-) I hope things are fine for her. My DD had the hip clicks and the uneven butt but does not have HD so just because she has the symptoms, it doesn't neccessarily mean that she has HD.
Some sites:
http://www.hip-baby.org/index.html
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...ewborn/ddh.cfm

You can PM me if you want. It just really sounds like your DD has the same symptoms as my DD. Was your DD breech or did you have a C-section?

9800Emily 07-20-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
Sounds like hip dysplasia to me (not sure if I spelled it right). They thought my DD had it but she didn't. Symptoms-clicking or popping when doc moves it a certain way, uneven butt checks or thigh folds. Does not hurt the baby. If caught before baby is 6 months, they can wear a Pavlik brace for it. It holds their hip in place so it can "grow" correctly into the socket. If caught inbetween 6-12 months, most of the time baby gets a full body cast (spica cast) in an attempt to correct it. Not to scare you but if the body cast does not work, she could need an open or closed reduction surgery. In a closed one, they make no incisions but just line the hips how they want them and then cast her. In an open, they would have to open her up and surgically fix the problem. Hip Dysplasia is best fixed if caught early. 6 months is borderline for a good/ fairly easy fix. If I were you, I would do a web search for HD and do some research on it just in case. Also, when the baby is 6 months old, an xray should work but if it comes back as negative, I would have them do a hip ultrasound...it shows them the hip and socket better. My DD had an ultrasound done first at about 5 months and an xray at 6 months (they won't do a hip xray before 6 months cuz it won't show them what they need to know at that age-hard to explain but has to do with the development of the ligaments or cartlidge or whatever is in the socket). Sorry for the long reply-I've just been there and done that:-) I hope things are fine for her. My DD had the hip clicks and the uneven butt but does not have HD so just because she has the symptoms, it doesn't neccessarily mean that she has HD.
Some sites:
http://www.hip-baby.org/index.html
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...ewborn/ddh.cfm

You can PM me if you want. It just really sounds like your DD has the same symptoms as my DD. Was your DD breech or did you have a C-section?

This is exactly the symptoms my dd has. The uneven butt and the popping sound. I had a C-section, and while my dd wasn't breech she managed to wedge her self under my ribs in a very similar position of a breech baby. This is what caused her feet to be blue for the first few weeks after she was born. My doc said they couldn't do an ultrasound on her hips after 6 months that they had to do an x-ray. Does any of this affect your DD?
Hopefully it is nothing, this is what we are :pray: for. I will look at the links, thanks for all the info. We are still waiting on the doc to call us back. They got the report today, but dd's doc was called to an emergency and didn't get a chance to look at it. :banghead: