Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long did you EBF? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23489)

tatumsmom 07-19-2006 06:16 PM

How long did you EBF?

Dd is 5 months old. My plan is to EBF until 1 year. I would just like to hear about your experiences. When did you first introduce food, what kind and why. Thanks mamas, i value your opinions and advice!:goodvibes:

4kidzmom 07-19-2006 06:20 PM

Re: How long did you EBF?

I breastfed #2 until he was 3 years 1 month, and #3 until he was 2 years 4 months (my milk dried up or I would still be nursing him).
I first started solids with them at 6 months, like the doctors say, but they were never serious about eating until they were well over a year old. Our first foods were always veggies. I was told not to start with fruits because then they will get use to sweets first.

CMamma 07-19-2006 06:31 PM

I planned to wait longer... but I gave him his first bite - some mashed up nanas at exactly 6 mos. He was totally ready too so I felt better about it. He doesn't get very much at all... just a taste & not even every day. I mean if I don't get a min to make his food & feed him, no biggy.

rpg_mommy 08-02-2006 11:49 AM

I EBF until 4 months and then started a little cereal, then veggies and such at 6. Not soon enough, if you could have asked my son! He was constantly grabbing for our food, even at 3.5 months, but we waited till 4 because I really feel that is the minimum age they should be to start any solids. I would have EBF longer had he not been SO interested in our food. I'm still nursing at 8 months, and plan to till he decides he's done, but my child LOVES table food. He pitches a full blown screaming fit if he sees people eating and he doesn't get some!

I think if your child isn't interested in solid food, then EBF till a year is a great goal. :) I don't think I would withhold solids just to reach a goal if my child was showing interest in it, though. To me eating solids is a milestone just like crawling. I know every time I see my little boy crawl it brings home that he's growing up, but I wouldn't keep him from crawling just because I want him to stay little forever. I think kids are ready for solids at different ages, and they'll let you know when that is by chewing and reaching for your food.

I kinda hope my next baby isn't interested in solids for longer that my son. I would be more than happy to EBF for 6 or 8 months, or however long, until they are interested in eating.

Good luck mama! :mrgreen:

greenkmt 08-02-2006 12:16 PM

Exclusive Breastfeed (EBF) or Extended Breastfeed (EFB)? I did the first until he was a little over 6 months and the second we will see.... He is 22 months and still going strong! Hee hee lucky for me. I love BFing!

snowbird25ca 08-02-2006 05:29 PM

I ebf dd until she was just over 6 mos old and then we intro'ed cereal. She didn't really start "eating" it until probably 7.5 mos or so though and we also didn't worry about solids if we were out & about or whatever. I'd say she was still 75% breastfed and 25% solids at 1yr old. I don't think she'd have been happy without the solids, but she also didn't get upset & we weren't real consistent about giving them to her multiple times a day...

My dd self weaned around 22.5 months when my colostrum started to come in and I had no milk from this pregnancy. She had cut down to only asking every few days & then once a week or so, but once she had that first taste of colostrum she never actually latched again.

CMamma 08-02-2006 05:37 PM

DS #1 was EBF until about 4 mos, when ped prompted us to feed & we did... didn't know any better. I'd have done a ton of things diff if I could.

DS#2 was EBF until 6 mos... but really he just gets bites here & there of fruit/veggies that I puree... if he doesn't get "food" that day, no biggy. I wanted to EBF much longer, but he was ready so I went off of his lead. I didn't want to spend a year of fighting to keep things away from him.

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 08-02-2006 05:49 PM

well we are starting to introduce cereal for Gavin, he is VERY interested lol and he is about 4 & 1/2 mos now.. but I plan on nursing until a year as long as he doesn't want to wean... Cody, well he's my stepson, so that was not my call lol she didn't nurse him at all tho

juliusthemonkey 08-03-2006 10:36 PM

I EBF and intro'ed sweet potato and then banana a litle after Chloe turned 6 months old. She's now 13.5 months, and just last week, she started to wean herself. I thought she was on another nursing strike, but it was different with this "strike." She pitched a humongous tantrum if I tried to nurse her, so now she's fully weaned. :sadbye:

mama23boys 08-03-2006 10:40 PM

ds is now almost 7months and i still consider him an EBF baby bc we are only doing solids every other day or so.

right now my goal is to make it to a year but im hoping longer :D