Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236500)

sprout18 09-28-2007 06:59 AM

Why?

Why would a dr give a first time mom a trasvaginal sonogram at 5 weeks!! She told her she saw the sac but nothing in it - that is normal right? I told her not to worry because it was normal. She is sending her for another sonogram next week at a lab. But of course she is worried. I'm trying to comfort her because I'm sure everything is all right but I'm stunned as to why they would do a sonogram so early? She isn't having complications and is testing positive on the tests. :banghead: I just feel bad that this doc worried her for nothing!

stayinhomewithmy6 09-28-2007 07:07 AM

Re: Why?

I just had mine at 5 wks 2 days and we saw the yolk sac, but nothing else. My doctor told me that that is what she expected to see and that everything looks great. I go back for another u/s in 3 wks. So, yes, I'd have to say that is normal. You're really not supposed to see anything at 5 wks. I have no idea why her doc is concerned about that. :headscratch:

kannondicarpo 09-28-2007 07:16 AM

I had this at 6w2d but ONLY because I had TONS of bleeding and thought that i had lost the baby. There was not much to see but a small sac and we found the heartbeat :yay:. I am shocked that they gave her one so early. I did not have another one until 13 weeks. Please do tell her that it is noraml not to see much, if anything. I am upset that they would worry her, especially so soon.

Mirasmom 09-28-2007 07:22 AM

There's a new trend for "dating ultrasounds." I have a friend who told me her doc is now pushing everyone for some new blood test around 11 weeks to replace the AFP screen (less false pos) that has to be drawn on the EXACT day- so they're making everyone have a dating us to be sure. So maybe that's why??

mom2adrien 09-28-2007 09:32 AM

I've been pregnant 4 times in the past 3 years, and every one of my pregnancies started out w/ an early u/s. Even back when most thought I was too young to have a baby and they weren't all that worried about why we were loosing the pregnancies. Like a pp said, it's the new trend. It's the most accurate time to get measurements. Most of the time they stick to the due date that they give you at that u/s, unless the baby starts measuring off by 2 weeks or more. That is what all of my OBs always told me.

ClothDiaperingMama 09-30-2007 02:12 AM

I agree with pp. I have always had early u/s and it was to "date" the pregnancy and figure out how many are in there. {no surprises}. I don't think it is odd at all. I actually like going early just so I can see a heartbeat! We usually wait until the first ob visit which always comes with a first u/s.

I am sure they weren't meaning to worry her. They could also be checking to make sure it isn't an etopic. I have had one done to make sure the babe was in the uterus and no where else.

ginafer 09-30-2007 03:02 AM

Mostly it is done to confirm EDD. To see that you aren't farther along than you think. Maybe she is less far along than she thinks, possibly 4weeks if she ovulates late in her cycle. I had it done at 6wks with DS1. But I don't do u/s anymore. Haven't had one in the last 3 pregnancies. There isn't enough research to prove it is harmless and some research that was done, 25 years ago, didn't have results I liked! Quite frankly, it is a money issue. There is too much money being made on that technology and they don't want to loose it on research that questions its safety!:rolleyes: Sorry :soapbox: I'll get off now!:laugh:

ClothDiaperingMama 09-30-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginafer (Post 1867336)
Mostly it is done to confirm EDD. To see that you aren't farther along than you think. Maybe she is less far along than she thinks, possibly 4weeks if she ovulates late in her cycle. I had it done at 6wks with DS1. But I don't do u/s anymore. Haven't had one in the last 3 pregnancies. There isn't enough research to prove it is harmless and some research that was done, 25 years ago, didn't have results I liked! Quite frankly, it is a money issue. There is too much money being made on that technology and they don't want to loose it on research that questions its safety!:rolleyes: Sorry :soapbox: I'll get off now!:laugh:

Your post makes me :banghead: .

Where is your research? I think all medicine has progressed in 25years. It is sad that you didn't receive the results you wanted, but that is life.
Ultrasound is a very SAFE procedure that MILLIONS of women have done. I am pretty sure if there were some stats on it being "harmful" then we would hear about it. I also don't think doctors would do it for fear of getting sued nor do I believe insurance companies would cover it. Ultrasound is used for more than pregnant women so the data is available on LOTS of people who get it done for lots of different things.

U/s is a great thing! It has proven very helpful to many doctors & their patients. I am very thankful for u/s instead of going on someone's "word" about something. I have had MULTIPLE u/s with ALL of my pregnancies and the only regret I have is not getting the u/s my doctor ordered before going to my 20 week u/s and seeing my DEAD baby. I have to live with the fact that I didn't go so I don't know if they could have saved her.
You brag about you not having an u/s done for the past 3 pregnancies. You were LUCKY that nothing went wrong. Lets just hope you are as lucky this time around.

Ooey 09-30-2007 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama (Post 1867345)
You brag about you not having an u/s done for the past 3 pregnancies. You were LUCKY that nothing went wrong. Lets just hope you are as lucky this time around.

There is no need for saying something like that. Like everything else in life, it's a personal choice and you have to decide for yourself what you want to believe and what is best for you and your baby.

Personally I tend to agree with ginafer in that I think ultrasound is way overdone and prefer not to have one, but that's not to say that it's not advantageous to some women and some situations.

I don't care what the doctors say, there is no way anyone is going to give me any kind of internal exam in the first trimester, I think it has a higher chance of causing problems than doing any good. I think it's wild that the doctor would do that at 5 weeks along, even if something is wrong, what could possibly be done about it?? And like with this OP's friend it can only lead to worry that early along...more harm than good I tell ya...

ClothDiaperingMama 09-30-2007 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooey (Post 1867352)
There is no need for saying something like that. Like everything else in life, it's a personal choice and you have to decide for yourself what you want to believe and what is best for you and your baby.

Personally I tend to agree with ginafer in that I think ultrasound is way overdone and prefer not to have one, but that's not to say that it's not advantageous to some women and some situations.

I don't care what the doctors say, there is no way anyone is going to give me any kind of internal exam in the first trimester, I think it has a higher chance of causing problems than doing any good. I think it's wild that the doctor would do that at 5 weeks along, even if something is wrong, what could possibly be done about it?? And like with this OP's friend it can only lead to worry that early along...more harm than good I tell ya...

If there is an etopic pregnancy it can be removed before perm damage is done to the mother.:thumbsup: I have never had an internal one done unless they were looking to make sure there wasn't an etopic pregnancy.

I think it is personal choice, but when there is a blanket statement that it is totally done for money reasons only I take personal offense. It helps lots of people. She could just state.. I choose not to have them.

What was wrong with what I said?:headscratch: She is lucky isn't she?
I would say so. I think she is very lucky.:goodvibes: