Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Caroline Ingalls Syndrome? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23653)

bfoster2000 07-20-2006 08:46 AM

Caroline Ingalls Syndrome?

Anybody else get all "frontier woman" when you're preggo? I think it must be sort of my version of nesting but dh is making fun of me to no end. I'm usually pretty "normal" but all of a sudden, everything has to be handmade! I've crocheted the baby a blanket, several pairs of shorts and longies for both kids, made DJ a choo choo train pillow for his birthday, I'm aching to buy a sewing machine but can't justify it until I get things cleaned up and rearranged enough that I'll have a place to put it :blush: , so I've been going to Mom's house almost every day to use hers. I've mended and repaired things that have been laying around here for 2 years waiting for attention! I'm totally addicted to buying yarn, patterns, and fabric (even though I don't even have a sewing machine!!). I'm making burp rags, doublers, receiving blankets. Last night I crocheted a hat and booties for the baby and started on a cardigan and I plan to make a matching pair of longies. DH thinks the cloth diaper thing (we only converted to cloth after I got pregnant this time) is a little out there anyway but when I said one reason I wanted a sewing machine was so I could make our own diapers, he really thought I'd lost it! Last night, I was cleaning out his drawers and getting rid of some stuff and I started to throw away a couple of pairs of really ratty boxers but then I stopped and said I wanted to cut the elastic out of them and try my hand at making a prefitted diaper today. I think I have a problem! :lostit: The lady in the craft section at Walmart yesterday was laughing at me too...she said I better hurry up and have this baby or I'll have to just move in there because it seems like just about every day I'm in there buying more fabric or thread or yarn or patterns or something. And it seems to be getting worse...that's why I'm hoping it's some twisted version of nesting...I was up till 3 a.m. this morning working on those stupid little booties (so named because they are a pain in the booty to make...I don't even like booties!!!) I've got to have this baby soon!!!!

On that note, I go back in to the MW this afternoon so we'll see what happens...I've overdone it a bit the past few days and my BP is back up and the swelling is worse so I don't know if she'll just lecture me, strip my membranes, and give me the weekend or if she'll send me straight to the hospital today. Today is dh's birthday so it would be kind of nice to have a baby today...of course I talked to him a few minutes ago and he said if I'm going to do that, I better get busy because he doesn't want to have to work in the heat all day and THEN go spend all night at the hospital. If I don't have the baby during business hours, he'd rather just get a good night's sleep and wait till tomorrow when he can take the day off work. It's all about making him comfortable, right? :razz:

Carrie 07-20-2006 08:53 AM

Re: Caroline Ingalls Syndrome?

I thought maybe you were talking about a rare disease! I was actually quite the opposite when pregnant. It was pretty much all I could do to get up and dressed and wash the dishes every day.

I sure hope you go into labor today! My little ones were born 2 days after daddy's b-day and I was hoping they'd come early!

skayers01 07-20-2006 09:14 AM

I was little miss re-re-re-re decorator and home improvement mom. I was pulling contact paper out of the cabinets at 1am!

rpg_mommy 07-20-2006 09:50 AM

I was totally like that. Crochetted a blanket and 2 toboggans for DS, rearanged the house, sewed curtains, made plans to sew a bumper pad for the crib (never quite got around to that...)

For me it just got worse when he was born though! Got tired of the ring sling I had so I made myself a wrap, collecting fabric to start making CD's, making baby food, etc, etc.

Yay frontierswomen!

Severine 07-20-2006 10:43 AM

I did that, to some degree. Hadn't sewn since middle school, but I made a pouch and ring sling (and used our dog to test them!). Learned to knit and made a hat. Cooked a lot from scratch. Cleaned like you wouldn't believe (boy, I could use that kind of cleaning energy again!). Rearranged furniture. And when I wasn't doing that, I was online researching EVERYTHING or reading baby books (since she was my first). I must have read 10 different kinds of baby books before she was born.

GrowingUpMad 07-20-2006 11:12 AM

I go in spurts but mainly I am the same way.This week has been non stop sewing/crafting!! My stash of unfinished projects got finished over the weekend so that was a relief. I made the baby an outfit, 2 bibs, 3 burp cloths and a changing pad all out of scrap materials (all this week). I made dd an outfit (OMG it's so cute!!), stocked my HC, did 2 custom orders, made a set for a donation, made 6 sets of hair bows and hemmed a few pairs of pajamas for the kids (all this without spending a dime ~ I had EVERYTHING in my sewing area!!). All of a sudden I feel like I have to get everything ready for the baby and I feel so unprepared. Soon you will stop all the "preparing" and have a new baby to hold.

oh and dh gets a little like this as well. When I had dd I stayed in the hospital for 2 days (the norm) and when I came home I had a completely different house. He rearranged every single room and sanitized it cleaner than the hospital (I hope he does it this time as well).

annes_cottage 07-20-2006 11:29 AM

lol, yep!! I want EVERYTHING homemade too....I even made my girls prairie dresses!!! :blush: Blankets, dipes, wipes, dresses, hats...you name it...plus making things for other people! lol Homemade noodles and bread are soooo yummy! Now I am making myself hungry! :mrgreen:

tillers72 07-20-2006 02:58 PM

My husband thinks I'm crazy for sewing our diapers too, but what cracks me up about your "Caroline Ingalls Syndrome" is that while I was sewing them the neighbor stopped by and called me "country" b/c I was "going back to basics"! :giggle: I think it's wonderful and I have always loved to do those kind of 'homemaking' things...have fun with it while it lasts and your kids will look back at pictures and really appreciate the time you put into thier arrival!!

carleyc 07-20-2006 08:47 PM

So is that what you call it? I didn't do this at all the first time, but this pregancy I've switched to cloth, thought about having a natural birth (totally not me), stopped taking all medications, and last week I told dh I HAVE to have a sewing machine like right now because I want to make the crib bedding and clothes!

jessica36 07-20-2006 09:52 PM

LOL I got worried when I saw the title, but I am in that phase now and DD is almost 1!