Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Insurance Question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238535)

Heathlyn 10-01-2007 12:57 PM

Insurance Question

My husband is self-employed and I stay home FT with our son. I'm pregnant and due in May. We knew that we would have to pay out of pocket for our next baby, so we saved enough to cover the expenses, however I'm concerned about the expenses that they aren't telling us about... ultrasounds, labs, etc.

I know the cost of my doctor and hospital, but does anyone know what the labs or ultrasounds run? I'm just trying to plan ahead.

For the record, we do have health insurance, just not maternity coverage. If I have to be hospitalized for a serious condition or have an emergency c-section, it would be covered by my insurance. Just not the "normal" expenses. And no, we don't qualify for medicaid.

Thanks!!!

MamaToBe84 10-01-2007 01:08 PM

Re: Insurance Question

i really dont know, but i would talk to your doctor-- im sure theres a lot of people who self-pay and they HAVE to have some idea of what to expect. Normal labs shouldnt cost too much, but im really not sure about u/s. wish i could help more, but good luck!!!

hsjwmom 10-01-2007 01:09 PM

I don't know if this is typical, but when I had an ultrasound at 11 weeks, the bill before insurance discounts and all was $1232.00! They did both transvaginal and regular, so that may have made a difference :shrugs: I'll be getting my 20 week ultrasound on the 19th and it should be more routine, so I may get a better idea of what they would normally charge.

Mommy2Cadence 10-01-2007 01:11 PM

Costs really will vary depending on where you are and what office you are going to. As long as you arent high risk the typical labs run $200 or so and u/s can vary about $300- $800 each. But cost are different everywhere and at every place.

thenanny 10-01-2007 01:15 PM

Make sure that you tell all doctors, hospitals, labs, US clinics etc that you are a "cash" patient. They will take 20% or more off of your total bill when you are paying that way regardless of you income. HTH

etsdtm99 10-01-2007 02:27 PM

ask your doctor to give you a break down, mine did even though insurance is payng for it .. they said the 20 week u/s would be $299 for example... but when i had an early U/s with my last pregnancy without insurance it would have run over $ 1000 because i had to be sent to the hospital to have it done

Monzie 10-01-2007 02:58 PM

We have really crappy insurance that doesn't pay for much of anything until after we've satisfied our $3500 deductible, so I know how you feel. :yuck:

After much debate about whether it would be worth the cost, I finally caved in and had one ultrasound at 22 weeks...which we had to pay for out-of-pocket. And the grand total for the scan and the two minutes that the doctor spent interpreting the results? $880. Oof.

ClothDiaperingMama 10-01-2007 03:00 PM

I agree, for a normal healthy pregnancy, you probably only need to worry about the 20week u/s. If you pay cash, it usually isn't as high as with insurance. {I guess they really want their money}. I am only speaking from my experience though. I think it also has to do with if you have to go to the hospital or if your ob has one in office. Mine was a lot cheaper at the office than the hospital. I think 299 is a good goal, but speaking directly with your doctor's office billing will tell you exactly. You can also opt out of any non necessary things if you want. {That is even with insurance}.
Good Luck mama!:goodvibes: Keep us posted! I haven't paid for an u/s in a long time, but will definitely get a 3 or 4d u/s with next pregnancy. Those range in price from 200-400 from what we have found out. Those aren't necessary though, it is just a "want" for me.:giggle:

:lostit: CONGRATULATIONS MAMA ON YOUR NEW PREGNANCY!!!:lostit:

ClothDiaperingMama 10-01-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monzie (Post 1875950)
We have really crappy insurance that doesn't pay for much of anything until after we've satisfied our $3500 deductible, so I know how you feel. :yuck:

After much debate about whether it would be worth the cost, I finally caved in and had one ultrasound at 22 weeks...which we had to pay for out-of-pocket. And the grand total for the scan and the two minutes that the doctor spent interpreting the results? $880. Oof.

WOW!! Did you go to a high risk ob? Our total for having ds was 3500.00 altogether. {no c/section}. I feel for ya mama! That is a lot of money! :hugs:

3rockstars 10-01-2007 03:03 PM

I have no insurance right now and have done none of the typical tests other than the first BETA and std and hiv/aids screens. Even with insurance, I probably wouldn't have. I don't think it would change my mind about the pregnancy to know that something is "wrong" with my baby. I had an ultrasound done for free from my doc at 15 weeks to be sure that everything was normal and to tell if we could tell the gender. But other than that, I dont' plan on doing ANY of the other tests. I'll have insurance back in another month or so I think(24weeks maybe?) and I'll deliver in our local birth center. I may get another ultrasound at my MIL's work(radiology place) but other than that, i dont' plan on having any other testing done.