Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What to do with Gerber prefolds! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23905)

KiMayaMama 07-21-2006 01:44 AM

What to do with Gerber prefolds!

My MIL bought me 2 dozen prefolds the other day and I was so excited thinking I'd have so many, and wouldn't have to do laundry as often but then after a day of using them and realizing they leaked every time! I asked her where she got them and she said they were the gerber ones at target. I can't use them now :( My baby doesn't spit up so I don't need burp rags either. Anybody have any creative uses for these? Has anyone else had a good or bad experience with gerber prefolds?

Hayley 07-21-2006 01:48 AM

Re: What to do with Gerber prefolds!

How many times have yo washed them? I noticed even after washing them 10+ times they seem to be very soft. but it could just be our water. try washing them in baking soda and some vinegar in a downy ball maybe they might work better.

SoftBumBaby 07-21-2006 01:49 AM

Oh man. :( My MIL did the same thing today (one dozen). Now everyone is telling me what crap they are. I have already washed and dried these and have yet to try them on Evan. I was all excited thinking these would tide me over so that I don't have to buy regular sized IPFs or CPFs yet (we have infant sized IPFs and they are getting too small).

Can I ask how long they were on your baby before they leaked? Two hours? An hour? This just s*cks.

anne_josh 07-21-2006 01:52 AM

I used them as changing pads (on the changing table)--learned pretty fast to always keep one under DS, as he liked to spray pee everywhere..

KiMayaMama 07-21-2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftBumBaby
Oh man. :( My MIL did the same thing today (one dozen). Now everyone is telling me what crap they are. I have already washed and dried these and have yet to try them on Evan. I was all excited thinking these would tide me over so that I don't have to buy regular sized IPFs or CPFs yet (we have infant sized IPFs and they are getting too small).

Can I ask how long they were on your baby before they leaked? Two hours? An hour? This just s*cks.

Well with indian or chinese prefolds I will change my baby every 1-2 hrs and when i do she has peed but it hasn't leaked anywhere and the dampness isn't really bothering her....

with the gerbers when i go to check her for our regular change after an hour or so she has leaked everywhere and her cover is too wet to use again.

i usually use wigglewormbottom covers or cot'n wrap and with indian or chinese prefolds i can use the same cover for 2-4 diapers because it doesn't leak through to the cover- but with the gerbers i had to change my cover every time.

KiMayaMama 07-21-2006 01:56 AM

Sorry- i see this was asked already. I'll make sure to atleast check the first page of posts before topposting an issue like this again!

lindsayncadence 07-21-2006 04:01 AM

my mom used em as dust rags!!! i use them to stuff my pockets as well another thing maybe cut them up and use em as wipes?? HTH

cblurose 07-21-2006 05:38 AM

I also suggest try washing them some more first.
I've had some of the "good" gerber prefolds and they have worked in pockets with a doubler just fine.

kingwooten 07-21-2006 06:38 AM

I use the gerber pfs and just put in an infant chinese pf for a soaker. My dd has outgrown the infant, but the premium are waaaayyy tooo big. I can snappi or pin the gerber and have the cpf trifolded in the center. it also helps to extend the time you can use the infant size HTH

negrapy 07-21-2006 07:06 AM

so how big are these prefolds? anybody have a dimension on them?
are they like tweeners between infants and premiums are just huge?