Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   OMG, owwie!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23928)

Kimmomy2dom 07-21-2006 08:19 AM

OMG, owwie!!

LOL, I'm a wuss!!! I HATE leg cramps. I never get them - they're horrible awful things and they should just GO AWAY. I had the leg cramp that never ends this morning and I'm dying now, LOL.
I got ONE leg cramp with my last pregnancy, but this time I think I'm up to 3 which isn't bad considering. If something's going to cramp, though, I'd rather it be my uterus than my leg - that's how wussy I am.
LOL, OK I'm done complaining now!

Kellyd 07-21-2006 09:02 AM

Re: OMG, owwie!!

A lot of times you get leg cramps because you need more calcium and potassium. I was having them pretty frequently up until about a month ago- and I started drinking an extra glass of OJ (for potassium) every day and taking an extra Tums each day (don't really like milk). I haven't had one since I've been doing that.

Other high potassium foods are tomatoes, bananas, melon, white and sweet potatoes.

annes_cottage 07-21-2006 09:25 AM

Yep, my legs get achy and restless and I know I need some calcium! Never heard of the potassium one, but I am going to try that now too! :hugs:

Manna00 07-21-2006 10:18 AM

Someone suggested bananas to me because I was ALWAYS getting charlie horses in my last trimester. The bananas really did help with the cramps! Plus, I was always wanting to stretch when I woke up.. and that's typically when I would get the cramps.. so I just started to be more mindful when I woke myself up to not point my toes when I stretched--rather I flexed my foot! :)

It's the worst when the pain stays around all day long! Good luck mama! You're almost there!

Kimmomy2dom 07-21-2006 11:12 AM

Yeah, I know about all that. I don't want to take anything extra this time, LOL. When I was pg with my son I ate bananas a lot and then forgot to eat one - the next morning I was PAYING for it. I'm also hopped up on so many supplements I don't need anything else, LOL.
I get them so seldom and I'm close enough to when I could deliver that I don't want to mess around with my diet much - last time I did it made me worse. I guess I was just complaining - 3 isn't bad at all, at least I don't get them every day.

babydirtybike 07-21-2006 12:49 PM

Heck ya on the calcium and potassium suggestions.

Calcium, potassium and sodium flood in and out of muscle cells controlling contraction and relaxation. When they get out of balance, cramping/spasming can happen.

OneFabMama 07-21-2006 12:57 PM

I got leg cramps all the time when I was preggy especially in my 3rd trimester.
One day, I CRAVED pineapple (fresh HAD TO BE FRESH haha) and my leg cramps went away - I needed more potassium! But then I had all those sores on my gums from the pineapple. LOL One complaint after another.

Kimmomy2dom 07-21-2006 01:24 PM

I need some chocolate, then. LOL - actually I missed my white chocolate mocha yesterday so I wonder if that did it. That's about the only milk I ever drink.

OneFabMama 07-21-2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom
I need some chocolate, then. LOL - actually I missed my white chocolate mocha yesterday so I wonder if that did it. That's about the only milk I ever drink.

mmmmmm

Kimmomy2dom 07-21-2006 01:55 PM

Uh oh, I have to get some later when I go out. I think the only thing I have at home that's chocolate (for good reason, LOL) is a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the freezer