Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GBS Test? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239849)

CrunchyMama0607 10-02-2007 10:37 PM

GBS Test?

When is the group b strep test done? :goodvibes:

bubblesteach 10-03-2007 01:11 AM

Re: GBS Test?

I think around 28 or 30 weeks. I'm not completley sure though. Really they can test anytime if you ask them to .

ClothDiaperingMama 10-03-2007 01:23 AM

I also wanted to add that just because you test negative for it at the time of the test.. doesn't mean that you don't have it! I would get two tests done. One when they want to do it and the other right before delivery. It can kill your baby and cause lots of issues, but simply taking meds during labor & delivery completely stops that from happening. If you have had a baby with GBS then I would demand meds during labor/delivery no matter what.:thumbsup:

jeannewojo 10-03-2007 01:53 AM

We check at 36 weeks. But, I agree with the pp about a recheck in labor. I've seen some pretty sick babes come from mamas that tested negative! It would take a while to get results back, but will give your baby's pediatrician a boost in diagnosing your LO if something seems off.

stayinhomewithmy6 10-03-2007 07:27 AM

My doc tests at 36 wks or after. I tested + last time and had to have an IV with antibiotics throughout L&D. Much better than a sick babe. I was so relieved that they tested and found out before I went into labor.

ClothDiaperMePlease 10-03-2007 07:30 AM

CDC is now recommending not to do IV antibiotics in birth for Group B b/c it is becoming immune to the meds.

That being said I have tested - on all of mine, but have talked to my midwife about it this time.... you can test positive one HOUR and negative the next hour.

BTW, my info comes from the midwives.....

GrahamBaby4 10-03-2007 07:41 AM

Our OB tests at 36 weeks for GBS. However, I tested Negative my first 3 pregnancies and positive with my 4th. He said that I have probably always had it! It can cause problems with baby, but make sure if your water breaks you go in quickly because it causes MORE problems if baby takes more than 17 hours to get out after your membranes rupture.

stayinhomewithmy6 10-03-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease (Post 1887454)
CDC is now recommending not to do IV antibiotics in birth for Group B b/c it is becoming immune to the meds.

Hmmm... that is interesting. It was 3 1/4 yrs ago when I tested pos. I wonder if my doc would do things differently now.

ClothDiaperingMama 10-03-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease (Post 1887454)

So what is suggested to do as giving IV meds during labor & delivery will prevent the baby from getting it?:headscratch: I have iv meds with every baby and have not had a GBS baby since doing that. I will continue to do just that too. :thumbsup: That is something that I won't mess around with no doubts about it.:goodvibes: I would much rather them have to use a stronger med than a dead baby!:thumbsup:

~happy2Bamommy~ 10-03-2007 02:14 PM

I tested positive w/ my last.. you can use garlic to kill it.

Just peel a clove,pop it in and change it out every so many hours~ I am not getting the test this time around and am just going to use the garlic since it will kill off other ickies as well~

Oh, I got tested at 36 weeks :thumbsup: