Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Am I starting a slippery slope? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24877)

Irishmommy 07-24-2006 04:26 PM

Am I starting a slippery slope?

I have had so much trouble lately with my diapers. I have bleached, boiled, bleached again and I just can't get the ammonia smell to go away on my overnight diapers, no matter the combination. Should I just go with one sposie at night? I have tried pockets, fitteds with wool and can't seem to keep the stink away.
:blush:

ramoth7 07-24-2006 04:39 PM

Re: Am I starting a slippery slope?

I'm not having problems keep the stink away, but am having problems keeping my son's bum dry at night. I'm thinking of going to disposables at night too. :banghead:

CMamma 07-24-2006 04:41 PM

I'm totally watching this. I have problems but ONLY w/my nite dipes. The thing is, sposies stink too - but IMO they smell funky all the time. It's a weird perfumey smell. Hate it. Anyway, DH won't get off my back about the stink from my 2.5 yo dipes... that amonia stink. I can get over it but DH won't. He wants sposies for nights. I don't want to but if I can't get the stink to go away or figure something out, I'm not sure what I can do.

CMamma 07-24-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramoth7
I'm not having problems keep the stink away, but am having problems keeping my son's bum dry at night. I'm thinking of going to disposables at night too. :banghead:

I have had a LOT of luck w/using a fleece liner & his bum is bone dry in the morning. I sometimes use a PF w/a little microfiber wrapped in fleece & it's all good :thumbsup:

masonite 07-24-2006 04:44 PM

:headscratch: I've never had problems, but my ds isn't a super-peer. He can get away with a FB stuffed with a micro insert and a small fb doubler for 12 hours. Maybe the super-peeing has something to do with it.

I'm sorry mama! That's got to be SO frustrating! :banghead:

I don't have any bright ideas for you. The only thing that has worked for my inserts (micro) is Oxyclean (the Sun version).

Are your inserts hemp or micro?

Jillybean 07-24-2006 04:47 PM

I've been trying to figure out how to solve the ammonia stinkies too. Mine only stink after overnight or a really long nap, and its only my 2 yr olds dipes that smell. My 6 mo olds smell fine, and they all smell great when they are clean. What gives?

negrapy 07-24-2006 06:56 PM

have you mommas tried rinsing well your night diapers before you put them in the pail?
that has helped me a bunch with stinky night diapers. another thing that helps is changing them right when they wake up instead of waiting for them to nurse and play (i let him but it smells strong when I wait like that --- however i rather it get strong than him hollering for his breakfast :) )

prefolds are really great since it seems you can get them really clean too so the smells can't build up or linger
good luck!

Momofboys 07-24-2006 07:41 PM

We do use a sposie at night and I honestly think that is why I am still CD'ing. He never leaks with it and it is only one a day...trying to find a good nighttime dipe was too stressful!

CMamma 07-24-2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negrapy
have you mommas tried rinsing well your night diapers before you put them in the pail?
that has helped me a bunch with stinky night diapers. another thing that helps is changing them right when they wake up instead of waiting for them to nurse and play (i let him but it smells strong when I wait like that --- however i rather it get strong than him hollering for his breakfast :) )

prefolds are really great since it seems you can get them really clean too so the smells can't build up or linger
good luck!

You know, I never thought of this. I'm glad you said something. I'm gonna try rinsing out my toddler's night dipes when he wakes.

vick 07-24-2006 07:49 PM

I always wet pail nite dipes.

That said, I rarely use nite dipes -I only have one I really trust, and even if it's clean, Isabel's far more likely to be in her 7th Generation sposie than in cloth. She nurses 2-4 times overnight, sometimes a LOT at a time, and a sposie is just easier on her and on us.