Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I'm ready give up my CDs. . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25098)

MamaStace 07-25-2006 09:15 AM

I'm ready give up my CDs. .

My ds has been in disposables for the past 3 weeks b/c I had knee surgery and washing cloth is NOT dh's idea of a good time. Not once has ds had a rash on his bum!!!

The CDs CAUSE rash. . I'm sure it has to do with how they're washed. I suspect I have hard water. The dipes stink no matter how often I wash them or what detergent I use: Tide, generic grocery store brand, Purex, Charlie's Soap (which works the best). . . .I don't see bubbles to indicate build up but I strip these diapers once a week in hot hot water. They also go thru 2-3 wash cycles EACH time they're washed with just a bit of soap in the first load. I'm so over this.

CDs are cute and soft but they cause diaper rash on ds and frankly, they're not worth the water and electricity bill, OR my time at this point.

ANyone have a miracle cure for me???????

MamaMel 07-25-2006 09:18 AM

Re: I'm ready give up my CDs. .

what are you using

CakeMama 07-25-2006 09:21 AM

how many are you washing at a time? i was having a similar problem (minus the rash) and figured out it was because there were too many dipes in the wash and they didn't have much room to really get clean. have you tried using baking soda in your wash? i know it doesn't work for everyone but... i hope you figure it out soon and get well soon too! :goodvibes:

heather_c 07-25-2006 09:29 AM

What kind of diapers are you using. If you have hard water, I have found that adding some liquid Calgon Water Softener to the wash cycle will release lots of soap for me. The Calgon is around $3-4 and I found it near the Borax in the detergent section. It is worth a try!

SarahJane 07-25-2006 12:02 PM

You really have to do what works best for you family and not feel badly about it.

I found that it worked best to wash more often with less diapers in the load. That way I don't have to wash the same load 2 or 3 times. I only use pockets so I wash one load of pockets (highest level of water) and one load of inserts every 2 to 3 days. I also use calgon in my wash cycle once a week but only for the inserts. Our water it "moderately hard" according to our county web site. So far.... knock on wood .... I haven't had stinky diapers. I also keep them in a hanging pail. When I tried the plastic can with a lid shut tight I found that the smell was much worse.... for some reason air helps. I just through the bag in with the wash every time. Really very easy. May not work for fitted diapers or others, but anyway Hugs about your knee and just do what works for you. It's not worth it if it isn't working. You know!

Nadmom 07-25-2006 11:31 PM

I agree you need to do what works to keep your sanity I am actually a mostly CD but part sposie user. There are also some good sposie alternatives besides CDS and there are the gdiapers which are disposable.

As far as a miracle cure - since you are at the end of your rope you might try some bleach. I read about it on diaperpin.com and posted about it here. But some people have found really good results with using small amounts of bleach once in awhile without negative effects on their dipes.

I used 2 cap fulls of bleach. I also found that less water causes (w/ my top loader) creates more agitation and gets the bubbles out better. I was surprised when I used the most amount of water possible and saw no bubbles but with a lower water level I got lots of bubbles.

Anyway using the bleach (so far just once) and a lower water level has made my wash routine a lot easier and my diapers smell better.

It was mentioned in the other post I read that there could be bacteria living in the diapers that is causing the rash and the bleach would kill the bacteria.

Also, I normally do several full washes, but by adding a small amount of bleach and doing just 1 extra full wash I feel confident that all the bleach was washed out as not to irritate my dd.

Goodluck

jodi5 07-26-2006 02:18 AM

I agree with the PP. I know we worry about build up a lot, but sometimes we don't put enough detergent in so that could also be it. At this point, I'd consider putting a little bleach in to kill any bacteria and perhaps give them some sun and see how that goes. Good luck!

MamaStace 07-28-2006 12:58 PM

hmm. . maybe I'll try the bleach! :)

I use prefolds, PWs, BBLs and some pockets occasionally. With wool covers. I tried less diapers washed more often and that actually seems to be working! :crossfingers:

thanks, girls! I'm really hoping this is the right track.

syndibee 07-28-2006 07:18 PM

for the rash i found that polyester is a problem for us. i use all cotton dipes. i make AIO's with flannel inside. yes i know flannel doesn't keep skin so dry but change frequently and there's no rash. i can't wait to try cotton sherpa.

CookClanMama 07-28-2006 08:24 PM

I have the opposite problem re: the rash. Sposies cause rash in my DS, & CDs clear it up :goodvibes: We can't use wool, though-it breaks ds out everywhere it touches him. I agree with the PP about trying just a bit of bleach. I know we worry about build up, but I've found that if I actually use just slightly less than the recommended amount of detergent (on the bottle), my dipes come out cleaner & smelling much better-& I'm really big on the smell thing. I couldn't CD at all if my baby had a stinky bum :laugh:. Good luck!