Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How do I move my son to crib after nursing him to sleep? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25136)

monkeylove 07-25-2006 10:50 AM

How do I move my son to crib after nursing him to sleep?

My question is pretty simple...my son is 4 months and I nurse him to sleep laying down on our bed a lot and I guess you could say he's gotten used to that cause it's hard to get him to sleep other ways, but he is getting too mobile to sleep on our bed, so I try and move him after he falls asleep and jeez! every time, he seems to wake up...we have no problems with him actually sleeping him in his crib, it's just moving him there:banghead: ......Do I stop nursing him to sleep:headscratch: , if so what techniques would I use to get him to sleep instead of nursing? OK, thanks mama!

thetoolmaster 07-25-2006 11:26 AM

Re: How do I move my son to crib after nursing him to sleep?

Will he nurse to sleep sitting in a chair? I always nurse DS to sleep in the glider rocker in "his" room and then move him to our bed (previously to the crib, b/4 we started cosleeping). In our case, DS doesn't do well nursing to sleep IN the bed, unless he's completely exhausted (or already half asleep, for example in the middle of the night...). At 13 mos old, he gets too distracted and ends up wanting to crawl around and play on the bed.

If your DS is able to fall asleep while sitting/rocking, may be an easier transition for him than being moved from the comfy bed! :mrgreen:

thetoolmaster 07-25-2006 11:34 AM

....I had another thought, at 4 mos. babies are still very "wakeable", I know DS at that age didn't handle ANY sleep transitions very well - sometimes it would take several tries to get him to stay asleep in his crib (we didn't start cosleeping until he was 7 mos old).

And I was curious, do you have specific concerns about your 4 month old's mobility in bed? For example, are his movements keeping you awake? (he must be a pretty mobile 4 month old, lol!!!) If not - I say, go with what's working and let him stay where he "falls"!!!!

rpg_mommy 07-25-2006 11:47 AM

Does your son have a comfort item? My DS was about 4 mo when we had to stop co-sleeping because the wiggling was keeping me and DH up all night (and when we'd wake up to move, DS would wake up...just not fun for any of us). I started giving DS a blanket I crochetted while he was doing his bedtime nursing and he'd play with that until he fell asleep nursing, then when I moved him to his crib, even if he woke a bit he would have that blanket and would fall right back to sleep.

HTH!

thetoolmaster 07-25-2006 01:13 PM

rpg_mommy: I stand corrected on the wiggly 4-month-old front! My DS has never been much of a wiggleworm - I had no idea little ones could move in their sleep so much at such a young age (what do I know....!)
:blush:

SugarBunsWool&More 07-25-2006 03:34 PM

I would start by getting him used to sleeping in his crib for naps and then when he's really ok with that, then I'd work on moving him there full time.
My son has been sleeping in his crib for a while but we only just moved him to his own room. It was harder on us, honestly, he took to the changes so fast!
He slept in a basinett by our bed until he was too big for that and then went to the crib at about 5 months in our room and then to his own room across the hall a few months ago.
Good luck mama, I think it just takes some time for baby to get used to it. Putting him down a little awake, nursing him almost all the way down, is supposed to help him learn to settle, if that helps at all. Sorry he's such a wiggler! We couldn't have DS sleeping with us because he would wake up drenched in sweat from our body heat!

negrapy 07-25-2006 04:04 PM

carefully :laugh:

i agree i think its harder on me to have him in his own room than it was on him ... he started sleeping better once we did it

but for your question we were having the same problem but it got worse instead of better so we did try letting him fuss (scream however you want to put it) if I had nursed him to sleep and then he had woken up when I laid him down. It really only took a couple of times for a few minutes. And after 2 or 3 months he still does cry once in a while. I have never been brave enough to try to lay him down at night if he isn't sleeping before I lay him down. I have resorted to that though for naps.

What seems to have helped included putting my old stuffed teddy bear in the crib with him ... sometimes he hugs it a sleeps instantly
keeping the room really dark, and a fan going and honestly just letting him be. I know that can sound harsh but our experience was picking him up and trying to nurse him again to sleep (esp. when it got to mult. tries) was worse --- it took longer and he even up crying more overall.

:hugs:

negrapy 07-25-2006 04:07 PM

oh I forgot to mention sometimes he will not nurse to sleep. Then its daddy's turn. He faces him outwards sitting, and rocks him while they watch a movie, while he's patting his tummy. I think he forgets to fight to stay awake and falls asleep like that. Transitioning him is a bit of a pain but my husband just keeps patting him untill he is laying down.
Sometimes holding his arms helps too so he can't wake himself up with them thrashing once he's in bed

Julesmom23girls 07-25-2006 04:09 PM

Have you considered a pacifier. I know some people absolutely hate them but I found they worked for us. I would nurse DD in a chair and before she fell off to sleep completelly I would switch her to her pacifier. That way she could continue to suck and I could lay her in her bed. Both of my girls like NUKs but I know every kid is differnt, and I know that not every person believes in giving a pacifier. HTH

luckyduckies 07-25-2006 04:46 PM

:giggle: if you figure it out without doing cio let me know.my almost 13 month old is still doing that very thing:laugh: :laugh: