Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   i am moving to the usa and am looking for information (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2522)

serena 04-30-2006 11:48 AM

i am moving to the usa and am looking for information

Hi,

I am moving to America at the beginning of next year and would like some information where I can get involved in helping to promote cloth nappies.

My job at the present is a real nappy promotions officer for Derbyshire County Council. With this job I have organised many events and hold monthly nappuccinos. I also go into ante natal classes and new mums groups to give demonstrations on the benefits of real nappies.

Also do you run a yearly event called Real Nappy Week in America, I have just gone through my first time of organising large events throughout Derbyshire for this promotion.

I appreciate any information you can give me.

Regards

Serena:goodvibes:

Jemgirl 04-30-2006 12:23 PM

Re: i am moving to the usa and am looking for information

Serena,
OMG! Where in the states are you moving to? We SOOOOO need someone like you to help START such things. I don't know of ANYTHING like that in the states, but would be SO interested in helping with something like that. I promote cloth all I can with folks, but most people still think I'm nutty! But all about cloth, we don't even say that nasty word (sposies) in our house! And I know that's not for all....but for us it's the BEST option! And I know soooo many mama's who would benefit from the cost savings of using cloth! Just have no idea other than showing off my ds's dipes and spreading the word about how great/easy it is! Can't wait to hear more about you and where you'll be.
Jeme

serena 05-01-2006 12:22 AM

Jeme,

We are looking at California.

Is there nothing set up in America then under Waste Management. That is the section of the Council that I work for. Over here in England quite a few County Councils have someone dedicated to spreading the word about cloth and other Councils have someone that spends a portion of their work on cloth.

There are also quite a lot of incentives for people to use cloth like money back when they spend so much and some councils give away a starter pack of nappies (birth to potty) or the choice of so many weeks free laundering.

Do you have laundering services?

I also have other projects on the go i.e. trying to get cloth nappies on hospital wards so that babies are put straight into cloth to help educate the mums that dont come along to events and ante natal classes. Organising a Health Professionals pack with samples and information for Midwives and Health Visitors. Going into schools, colleges and universities to do a presentation on cloth and am looking into purchasing a load of terry squares that we can do a practical bit on all the different folds. (Surprising how popular these nappies still are). I have also just launched 8 nappy lending kits for residents in Derbyshire so that they can try a range of nappies before they buy the wrong ones. I am working in partnership with some nappy advisers with this as the area that my job covers is huge. I have 9 district/borough councils within Derbyshire.

I am about to undertake quite a bit of research into incontinence for over 4's and how much is costs our health service (as if you have a medical condition for wetting you can get incontinence pads on prescription - free of charge). I know that there are some manufacturers that do cater for the older child and hopefully the older person.

Well I do hope that you find all this informative and that the word is definately spreading but just needs to spread a bit more. I understand they celebrate real nappy week in other countries.

Cheers

Serena

dirtdartwife 05-01-2006 01:30 AM

YEAH!!!!!! How cool Serena!!!! I know some midwives try their best to get hospitals to start using cloth and in some hospitals, it's really up to the mama's as to what's used. I know the hospitals I've given birth in, my baby stayed with me at all times so I was in charge of changing... so it was up to me. But cloth wasn't an "option" (I was given bags of sposies and no mention of cloth) It's a money issue because hospitals are given these things by the manufacturers so you might be up against something strong by promoting cloth diapers. I think it's well worth it though!!!!

California, IMO, is a good place to start. Simply because (and I soooo hate to admit this) it's the fore-runner of any social change (good or bad) that the U.S. undertakes. (many bad recently, unfortunately). I'm not a true Californian... only stuck here because of the military... but it is a good place to start because most of anything good, bad, indifferent, is accepted here without a passing glance. But if it catches on here in CA, it's sure to catch on in other places of the U.S.

I wish you the best of luck... and my only opinion about WHERE to live in CA is NOT the southeast side. I recommend anywhere along the coast. Unless, of course, you enjoy seeing shades ranging from white to cream, to beige to brown to black only and winter weather is cold with extreme wind (up to 80kph on any normal day) and summer weather extreme hot with no wind... and no fall or spring. The desert really stinks. But LA and San Diego are nice!!!! I haven't been further north just yet but there are others here that can give you better ideas.

:hugs: :goodvibes: Theresa

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-01-2006 02:22 AM

Thats great! I think california is a great place to go, Im in central california, its great here, I think you'll love it in the middle of the state..lol