Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   non or delayed vaxing mamma's how hard is it to find a doc? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25314)

janelyb 07-25-2006 10:21 PM

non or delayed vaxing mamma's how hard is it to find a doc?

I actually called our new pediatrictian to ask about TB testing and I mentioned that I wasn't 100% sure I wanted my child to have it, then the recepitonist asked me if I vax? I did vax both kids my youngest is 3 , and she asked if I was going to continue vaxing and I told her at this point I'm not so sure. She proceeded to tell me the doctor did not agree with non vaxing and he would not have us as clients if we didn't vax. She said he doesn't want to be held responible for something that can be prevented. OMG...I had no idea a doctor could refuse a child.

So how do you non vaxing or delayed vaxing families deal with this? Was it difficult for you to find a doctor who is ok with your decision?

SheilaJoy 07-25-2006 10:24 PM

Re: non or delayed vaxing mamma's how hard is it to find a doc?

Yeah, most doctors think they should be the authority in your child's life, and they always know better. :yuck: That's why I dumped our family dr. I now take Hannah to a naturopath, who does offer selective vax (not MMR and one other one though), but she's fine with me choosing not to, of course. Do you have a naturopath on your health plan?

MamaMel 07-25-2006 10:37 PM

I went to my LLL meeting and asked around and found a great doctor. Right when I called they asked I said no and that was that. Now when I take my DD to see him for well baby visits he says well you don't do the dirty work so this appointment is easy!!

KnottyLDSMama 07-25-2006 10:46 PM

I actually found one through my childbirth class. I have to drive 40 miles to get to her, but she's absolutely wonderful. She actually has said she wouldn't even give my DS vaxs even if I wanted to because he's still underweight. I think that's funny considering the hospital would've given him the hep B right away, and a dr who specializes in children won't.

skayers01 07-26-2006 01:54 AM

Sorry to hijack, but could someone please pm me with some info about delayed vaxing? I've been reading all the suggested sites and previous threads, but I cannot make up my mind. Is it okay to delay until school? How often is there even an outbreak of these diseases? Mumps and small pox and menegitis, I think I've heard about, but i'm not sure about the others. Thanks!

boobyfeeder 07-26-2006 02:57 PM

My pedi "fired" us b/c we decided to stop vaxing. Look for a Family Practice dr instead, they are usually more open-minded.

jenn5388 07-26-2006 02:58 PM

Oh yeah.. they can refuse anyone they want. If you do choose to not vax anymore then I have found that ANYONE but PED's are more accepting of it. :)

having said that.. miranda hasn't been to a WBV since she was 2 months old. she's now just about 2 years old. lol I didn't wanna deal with the lecture and the threats and the fear they try and instill in you so you get the damn shots...every couple of months., until she was what? 2? No thank you.

I can weigh and measure her here just fine. :) it's one of the reasons, the other reason was because of the stuff i was subjecting her to in the waiting room.. nasty.. we did go to the doctor at 8 months.. and we came home with, "it's just a rash.. nothing we can do for it" and a BAD cold. :( (she was having an allergic reaction basically to her own drool.. but it looked horrible)

It makes me want to become a PED just so people don't have to stop taking thier children to the doctors appts because of the crap they hear.. lol

Needless to say.. we don't vax. The orignal plan was to delay until she was 2 until her immune system was stronger.. Now the plan is to For go them completely.

crunchy-mama 07-27-2006 09:52 AM

Look around. We have had the same ped since before we stopped vaxing and we just signed a waiver stating we had been given info on the risksof not vaxing:)
HTH

To the PP. Please go to the CDC website to get an accurate idea of how much you have to worry about the duseases them selves. You can also PM me for a chart showing the death #s in people who died from the vaccine vs those who died from the vax.
:)

katmarie 07-27-2006 01:05 PM

We were fortunate to find a holistic ped who not only tolerated our vax choices, but supports them. We found him through the recommendations of my midwife and our childbirth teacher. Ask around in natural parenting type circles and I bet you'll find someone you can work with.

We are friends with another couple who does not vax, and though their ped talks to them about vaxing at every visit, he does not refuse to see them.

MamaJo 07-27-2006 01:09 PM

Our family doc (only doc we see, I don't like peds lol) is respectful of our decision. We've been seeing her since before we decided not to vax. And she's ok with it....I know she'd prefer we start vaxing at 2 yrs, but she certainly hasn't pushed the issue :goodvibes: We just got lucky I guess.