Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   ***Clomid Club*** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253301)

RoxyRocks 10-21-2007 08:29 PM

***Clomid Club***

There is alot of us out there that are on Clomid or are going to be starting it soon so I(Amanda) thought it would be nice to have a place for us to talk:goodvibes:

What Is Clomid?
Clomid is simply a brand name created by Aventis for the drug clomiphene citrate. This drug is typically given to women who require aid in ovulation but many men take the drug as it causes an elevation in natural testosterone production. If you are interested in Clomid for muscle enhancement, please visit our Clomid For Men section.

For women, Clomid works by suppressing the amount of naturally circulating estrogen and fools the pituitary gland into producing more follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing hormone (LH). These natural gonadotropic hormones then stimulate the ovaries to ripen a follicle and to extrude an egg.

***PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO TO ADD!! ALSO ALL THIS INFO WAS GATHERED FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT SITES ON THE INTERNET***

Is The Drug Affordable?

Fortunately, Clomid is one of the more affordable drugs on the market and it also has a generic equivalent that can bring the price down even further. Typically, a five day supply of 50-tablets will cost between $15 and $35 but as your dosage increases, the cost will increase as well. Research shows that if the drug doesn't work in the first four to six cycles, it probably won't work at all. If Clomid doesn't work for you, please consult your physician once again.

When Do I Take Clomid?

Your physician will instruct you to take Clomid on either days 3-7 or 5-9 of your cycle, and it is usually based upon the Dr's preference and/or experience. Please follow your physician's directions carefully.

The most common regimen is to take the clomiphene starting on day 5 after the start of menses for 5 days ending on day 9. Another regimen is to start on day 4 through 8 and a recent publication even indicates the Clomid can be taken on day 1 through day 5 (1) with a very successful pregnancy rate. If your doctor does not indicate otherwise, taking the medicine on days 5-9 is the usual and most commonly tested regimen.

Sometimes a 3 day regimen can also be used although it is not quite as successful at inducing ovulation, it may have a slightly higher pregnancy rate since the anti-estrogen effects of Clomid on the endometrium are less pronounced.

When Should I Have Intercourse?

You should I have intercourse? at least every other day, beginning the third day after your last pill is taken and continuing for one week, or until a thermal shift indicates you've ovulated.

Is There A Risk Of Multiple Births With Clomid?

Clomid is a low-level fertility drug. The chances of a multiple birth (twins) increase only by 10% while taking Clomid.

Dosage Of Clomid

The initial recommended dosage is 50 mg but it may be increased to 100 mg (or more) until the desired response is achieved. It is important to chart while taking clomid and some doctors will recommend using Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs) as well.

Daily doses range from 50 mg to 200 mg. A few doctors will prescribe as much 250 mg per day, but this is rare and goes against manufacturer's suggestions. The Merck Manual, a reputable sourcebook for health care professionals, suggests no more than 150 mg per day.

SIDE EFFECTS

May cause dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, stomach upset, bloating, or nausea. These effects should disappear as your body adjusts to the medication. Report promptly: mental/mood changes, skin rash, hot flashes, stomach pain, breast tenderness, blurred vision, abnormal vaginal bleeding. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

rwooley 10-21-2007 08:32 PM

Re: ***Clomid Club***

Im not on it now,but, we I took a cycle to get DD # 2!
Good luck to all you strugglin mamas out there. I can honestly say I know how you feel!:hugs:
Rachelle

RoxyRocks 10-21-2007 08:36 PM

Mama's
(I know there is more of you!!!)

Name: Roxanna (Roxyrocks)
BDing partner/DH:giggle: Chad 31
Age:This question always "gets" me BUT I am in my mid 20's
Children: DS Alexander 12/27/2000
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): PCOS dx. 10/07'
BCP: IUD Paragraud(non hormonal for 3 yrs)
TTC Since: Several years of seeing what happens & Seeking "professional" help since 07/07'
Meds: 1st round of Provera 10mg(just finished!) & starting Clomid 50mg CD3

Name: Amanda
BDing partner/DH: Matt
Children: Kevin (12-20-02), Jordan (m/c at 10w/2d, 9-7-04), and Ryan David (9-19-05)
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): PCOS dx. Aug. 2007
BCP: Yasmin in 03 and 05
Months TTC: 16 months
Meds: Provera 10mg(haven't had to take yet) and Clomid 50mg CD5-9 currently on 2nd round

Name: Marlene
BDing partner/DH: Um...DH..LOL
Children: DS (4/16/2006)
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): Unexplained infertility
Months TTC: 18 months
Meds: Provera 20mg and Clomid 100mg CD5-9

Name: Julie
BDing partner/DH
Children: DD Madelyn 11/13/05
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): unexplained
TTC Since: 6/06 seeking professional help since 7/07
Meds: last mo- first round of clomid (thinned uterine lining so no clomid for me anymore) This mo- femara (had a good egg 23mm but progesterone was only 11).

Name: Kim
BDing partner/DH: Jamie (33) married for 7.5 years
Children: Emily (3/9/04) Madison (2/2/06)
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): Luteal Phase Defect
BCP: Mirena IUD (inserted 5/'06 - taken out 7/'07
Months TTC: 4
Meds: Clomid 100mg CD 3-7 (2 clomid cycles completed)

Name: Dagny (kaylabelle05)
DH: Jeff 30 (on Sat)
Children: DS Quinn 3/7/99 DD Kayla 10/20/05 4MC's 3/02, 10/02, 2/04, 8/06
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): PCOS dx. 4/04
BCP: PCOS haven't have a cycle since 2/07
TTC Since: Haven't prevented preg but not trying
Meds: Metformin 1000mg

name:Charlotte
Bding partner/DH:dh Bill
age:38 years old for me(will be 39 on Nov.28th) and dh just turned 46
children:ds Jim(4-23-91),Sarah(6-7-05) and 2 angels a m/c at 8 weeks in 04 and Gracie(6-07-07-at 18weeks 2days gestation)
fertility hurdles:dx.PCOS 4-04,hypothroid condition,type2 diabetes-dx.12-2001
Bcprto tri cyclin bcps when dh and I were first intimate before our marriage-only for 4-5 cycles though-too many side effects for me!
TTC:SEEMS LIKE FOREVER!-ever since our wedding(3-31-90!)
Meds:Metformin 2000mg.,Actos 45 mg(just upped last month-so i can o!),Novolin insulin(keeping A1C's way under 6% FOR CONCEPTION),Synthroid 150 mcg for throid

Name: Krista
BDing partner/DH: Jake (25) married for almost 3 years.
Children: m/c 5/6/03 14wks; m/c 10/19/04 16w 3 days ; Jonah 10/29/05
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): Luteal Phase Defect (but fixed) hostile cervical mucus; dyparenuia (they effed me up bad); vaginal atrophy...(yee-haw)
BCP: hadn't been on it since 04
Months TTC: 9 or 10?
Meds: Clomid 100mg CD2-CD6 on cycle number 6

Name: Kristin
BDing partner/DH: Joel, 27
Children: DS Luke 2/1/04
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): 2nd child syndrome? LOL I have no clue what's happened.
BCP: I can't even remember what I was on before we had Luke. Then after Luke I went on the mini-pill to regulate my cycles. Haven't been on anything since about August of 2004 b/c I HATE what BC does to me.
TTC Since: July '05
Meds: Nothing yet--

Name: Tryin
BDing partner/DH: (34) married for almost 2 years
Children: AdoptedS14 and DD4 m/c at 11wks 3/07

Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): Annovulatory-very low progesterone-0.8 unmedicated, possibly due to weight, but cycles are still regular.-other plausible causes (all undiagnosed-just me doing some research) thryoid condition, insulin resistance,

BCP: never use the stuff-I take pills to GET pg, not to prevent LOL!
Months TTC: since 1/06
Meds: Clomid 100mg CD 3-7
Vitamins-Prenatals (prescription), iron and folic acid

Name: Vicki
BDing partner: DH
Children: DS Asher (September 2005)
Fertility hurdles: unexplained
Diagnosed with PCOS after one year TTC DS (irregular periods pre-bc pills and again after going off - after 7 years of using them). After one round of clomid, we conceived DS. Since his birth we have been NPNT until I started noticing signs of ovulating earlier this spring (I weaned DS at shortly after his second birthday.). After several months of charting, I realized that I have a short LP. Gyn thought this might be due to bf'ing, although not likely. He suspected that I might not be dealing with PCOS since my cycles have been very regularly around 30 days since my first PPAF about a year ago. He advised we try a month w/o the Clomid after weaning. Well, here AF has started. I took my first pill tonight.

Name: Lyn
BDing partner/DH: Married to Dh 2 years now (been together 6ish)
Children: 2 older DS's and a DD born 12/05
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): not picking up ovulation from test strips?
Months TTC: on and off a year now
Meds: none yet but have appt beginning of Dec. to start (clomid) hopefully

Name: Jennifer
BDing partner/DH: Greg (42) married for 4.5 years
Children: Camerone and Madeling (twins) (2005-06-04)
Fertility hurdles: Blocked fallopian tubes
Meds: Clomid 150 mg CD 3-7; menopur CD 6-16 ish!

RoxyRocks 10-21-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwooley (Post 1999708)
Im not on it now,but, we I took a cycle to get DD # 2!
Good luck to all you strugglin mamas out there. I can honestly say I know how you feel!:hugs:
Rachelle

Thanks Mama!!! I have found those who have been on it have the best advice because YOU are living proof Clomid works!

MyLil'Mountaineers 10-21-2007 08:51 PM

YAY!!!

Name: Amanda
BDing partner/DH: Matt
Children: Kevin (12-20-02), Jordan (m/c at 10w/2d, 9-7-04), and Ryan David (9-19-05)
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): PCOS dx. Aug. 2007
BCP: Yasmin in 03 and 05
Months TTC: 16 months
Meds: Provera 10mg(haven't had to take yet) and Clomid 50mg CD5-9 currently on 2nd round

RoxyRocks 10-21-2007 08:57 PM

Ahhh Amanda I am glad you are here:lostit: I was really scared I was going to be the ONLY one in the Clomid Club looking like a dork:giggle:

MyLil'Mountaineers 10-21-2007 09:01 PM

Roxy, I know there are more of us here. Maybe we'll have to wait until morning. :giggle:

MJHARK 10-21-2007 09:01 PM

I am going on it soon, I dont have time right now to post all my specs, but I will be back soon to do it :)

MJHARK 10-21-2007 09:08 PM

Name: Marlene
BDing partner/DH: Um...DH..LOL
Children: DS (4/16/2006)
Fertility hurdles(cause they CAN be jumped over!): Unexplained infertility :cry:
Months TTC: 18 months
Meds: Provera 20mg and Clomid 100mg CD5-9

Okay, these are my specs :goodvibes:

MJHARK 10-21-2007 09:10 PM

I know I haven't posted on this particular sction of DS before, but I want to start now... :) Please accept me Mamas:goodvibes: