Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   In search of bean recipes Updated w/ another question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25342)

Julesmom23girls 07-25-2006 11:38 PM

In search of bean recipes Updated w/ another question

UPDATED Question: Anyone know how many dried beans it takes to make the equivalent to a can of beans? I have seen alot of great recipes that call for canned beans but I don't know how much I would need to cook to get the same amount. Thanks again.

Ok I get 2 lbs of beans a month from WIC and I don't just want to make Baked Beans or some variation on that theme. I can get beans (all kinds), split peas, and lentils. I am not sure, pretty much anything in the dried bean sections that isn't a mix and comes in a 1 lb bag. My Dd will eat red/pink colored beans better because that is what she is used to but I am willing to try any other type. I just don't know where to start and if you search all you find are a thousand recipes for Baked beans or BBq beans. Oh and I am not a big fan of black eyed peas, otherwise I am up for anything.

I would love a recipe for Refried beans, preferable low/no fat. And any other recipe you think of, especially kid friendly (AKA not to spicy)

TIA

sheandaru 07-26-2006 08:45 AM

Re: In search of bean recipes

:popcorn:

I have WIC beans falling out of my pantry, too.

mamato5angels 07-26-2006 09:32 AM

How about Chili? we make both red chili with beef and white chili with chicken.

You could also use a little of each and make calico beans (a favorite around here)
I can get the recipies if you need them

peverroad 07-26-2006 12:02 PM

Beans i find pritty simple to cook.
Sort and wash the night before. Soak in water overnight,
I put them in the crock pot in the morning and let cook all day.
Pintos i put a little bacon or pork salt in and season. Salt pepper garlic onion.
Eat like that or add what you like
the easiest way i found to make refried beans is take the beans eather freshly cooked or leftover (pinto) and put them in the blender with a little water (i don't have a foodprocesser or i would use that) and blend them intill smooth and use as you would canned.
red beans are good for chili
lintils there are a bunch of great recipes out there just search it you can make hamburgers out of them, taco filling

Julesmom23girls 07-26-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

I put them in the crock pot in the morning and let cook all day.
I am so glad you said that because I was just about to post that as a question too. Every recipe I see says to cook the beans first to soften then put in the crockpot to make chili or baked beans whatever. I never understood why you couldn't cook the beans in the crockpot until they were softened and then add the flavorings. Glad to know I wasn't crazy to think that would work.

I don't know what I do wrong when I cook beans, maybe they boil too hard, but they always seem to be tough and grainy,not like canned beans. I prefer canned beans (less work) but with all these WIC beans I can't bring myself to spend money on something that I already hve.

Keep them coming ladies, especially any crockpot recipes, I have a new baby coming and that would make my life much easier. But I will take whatever your favs are.

MamaMegan 07-26-2006 07:37 PM

WIC beans. Got a stock of them here.

We do black beans (ook them lke normal with some chicken broth and onion)-- we eat them with cheese quesedillas (WIC chese too ;) ).

I used to make split pea soup but I can't remember how.

We can now choose between beans or PB.

TexasLea 07-27-2006 04:40 AM

To make refried beans all you have to do is take your cooked pinto beans and mash them up and fry them in a little oil in the skillet. I haven't made them this way in a really long time, but here's a good recipe I remember-
Fry bacon in the skillet first, then you drain the grease for the most part, but leave a little along with the good drippings in the pan. Then fry your beans in that and crumble the bacon into them. Top that with some cheddar cheese. It was pretty yummy!

I have been trying to have a meatless meal night every week for my family to try to help on the budget. I have found myself using beans and pasta together alot for this. Beans and rice is always good too. Here's a recipe we had this week and it got a good review from my bunch:

White Beans with Tomato, Basil and Parmesan

1 c. of dry great northern beans
8 oz. of dry pasta (bowties, shells, whatever shape you got on hand)
2T. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can diced)
1/4 c. fresh snipped basil (or 2t. dried)
1 small can of sliced black olives
1/2 c. parmesan cheese (fresh or dried works)
salt and pepper to taste

soak beans and cook according to directions. You can do this part in your slow cooker if you'd like. Cook and drain pasta. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over med-low heat. Saute garlic then add in tomatoes, beans, olives and basil. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Stir in pasta. Add parmesan, salt and pepper to taste.
I wanted to make this a total one dish meal so I also added in some frozen broccoli when I added the tomatoes and stuff. :thumbsup:

Also if you add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to the water you are cooking your beans in they will cook up tender. It doesn't give them a vinegar taste either and supposedly the vinegar will also cause you to produce less gas after you eat the beans.

Julesmom23girls 07-27-2006 08:57 AM

Thanks for the great tips, esp the vinegar one, I will have to try that and see if I have a better result. The beans and pasta sounds good I will defi try that one.

We can choose from PB and beans, but my oldest DD has a peanut sensitivity (not allergy) so we get 1 PB and 2 beans. Besides I think that beans are healthier than PB, IMO.

Thanks again, any other great ideas out there. I know there are lots of mamma's with beans they need to cook. Thanks again.

nigellas 08-01-2006 11:25 AM

I'm a vegetarian and use lentils all the time. I've got a lentil shepherd’s pie recipe if you want it - let me know and I'll pull it out. Lentils are also good in homemade vegetable soup or the obvious lentil soup- they are nice because they cook up much faster than other beans. :)

Garbanzo beans (aka chick peas) are good just tossed in with regular pasta and sauce. I do that a lot to sneak in some extra protein. I think that would only work if you had them soaked already - they take forever to get unhard otherwise (I use canned)

wbkt8 08-01-2006 11:54 AM

Split Pea Soup

1lb split peas
~4+ cups of chicken broth/water (I use 4ish and that's pretty thick - add more to make it thinner

I also usually add in a few sliced carrots and a little smoked sausage (like kielbasa)/bacon - but that's totally optional

I cook it in the crockpot - start on high for about an hour to get it going and then reduce to low. It usually takes 3-4 hours for the peas to mush up.

I like to serve it with a dollop of yogurt/sour cream. If you don't use broth you'll probably want to add some salt/pepper, etc.

My dd loves this.

Lentil Salad

Cook lentils w/ 2ish cups of water & a bay leaf til soft - usually about 30-45 minutes, but you'll probably just need to check them periodically to see if they're to the texture you like (some like them more crunchy than others).

Then I drain them and dress them with some olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Season to taste. Then serve on top of a bed of lettuce and top with some crumbled goat cheese.