Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HELP!! 4mo old EBF DD allergic to all things dairy :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25345)

Jordan~&~Jenna's~mommy 07-26-2006 12:54 AM

HELP!! 4mo old EBF DD allergic to all things dairy :(

My DD FINALLY has a diagnosis!! After all the dr's appts, biopsies, hospital stays, etc... we know what's wrong... she is allergic to dairy. That's why she could never poop!!! It's not a lactose intollerant issue, but an allergy to all dairy. Her team of dr's said it's toxic to her body and her liver can't break it down. SO... since I'm EBF and want to continue to do so, I am now restricted from all things dairy. Milk, cheese, ice-cream, butter, cereal, mac n cheese, you name it. This is a staple to me I don't know how to replace. :( I have the Silk soy milk... but it's not really milk IMO if it's vanilla flavored, KWIM? Any one else in a situation like this? My DS has a peanut allergy we found out about when he was a little over a yr old (no, food allergies do NOT run in our families until now) and that was a scary, SCARY way to find out about his allergy... i.e. do NOT give your babies peanuts products until you can watch them closely for the next few hours for the first time. Anyway, I need advice on my DD's dairy allergy. Please, anyone that is in this situation, I need the support and advice.

PS I've been on my dairy free diet for 3 weeks now and my DD is acting, looking and pooping like a champ! A normal baby! I have had an occasional *oops* like cheese on my burger last night by mistake and butter on my toast... but even despite my small mistakes, she's doing soooo much better!

a_cthelen 07-26-2006 02:25 AM

Re: HELP!! 4mo old EBF DD allergic to all things dairy :(

Wow! I'm so glad the docs figured out what was wrong! My DS is sensitive to dairy. He spits up and has terrible gas if I eat too much of it. :(

I'm not sure what to suggest on the milk. I don't drink milk, but when I do, it's usually soy. That's got to be tough for you. I hope you can find something that will be mutually beneficial to you both!

navars2 07-26-2006 06:54 AM

:bighug: I don't know what to say. DS is also allergic but was able to tolerate me having dairy by the time he was three months old. Luckily, we figured out what was going on by the time he was about four weeks old. I really hope she outgrows it for you.

Amanda Lou 07-26-2006 08:18 AM

I can't really offer advice, but I am in the same situation. I gave up dairy when DD was 6 weeks old, and she is now 6 months old. I have tried it again, hoping she'd outgrown it, but she hasn't. It is hard, but you are doing what is best for your child.

mama23boys 07-26-2006 01:26 PM

:popcorn: i dont have any advice but i am interested if you find a link to a list of dairy products! ds spits up bad and has mild excema(sp?)

sparkygirl74 07-26-2006 01:55 PM

We went through this too. I couldn't eat Dairy until Delaney was about 16 months old. It kind of sucks, but I discovered after eliminating dairy that the constipation and stomachaches I had been having my entire life went away. :lostit: Now that Del is ok with me eating it(she still can't handle it straight) I have cream in my coffee, and cheese every once in a while, but I don't relly miss it all that much.
I hope it gets easier for you mama
Shannon

greenkmt 07-26-2006 01:57 PM

****HUGS**** I thought we were going to have to do that with wheat.

shandi 07-26-2006 02:09 PM

The whole replacing dairy thing can be hard especially if you're not used to it!
I used to be vegan for a couple years, and don't eat much dairy now either so I hopefully can offer a few suggestions :) And I've had to eliminate it right now because of ds's excema, along with wheat, soy, and refined sugar, wah!

As for milk substitutes you can go with soy milk, rice milk, almond milk which you can all buy in the tetra pack form. You can also make almond milk by buzzing up some almonds with water in the blender. I know some people can get away with goat milk, but in your case it sounds like probably not.

I find all the milk substitutes great for replacing milk in cooking, baking, or eating with cereal, but I don't actually drink them on there own (never liked to drink cow milk anyways, I think it tastes icky). I know lots of people do, and I think it's just a matter of taste...soy milk is a lot thicker than rice milk so for some it's a consistency thing, but I think the rice milk tastes kinda better. Some brands taste better than others, I like Vitasoy for soy milk and Rice Dream for rice milk.
I find all of them taste yucky in coffee so I've just decided to drink it black :(

There are a lot of tasty soy ice creams out there that taste great, even better than regular ice cream to me! There's rice ice cream but I didn't like it.

Cheese is a tough one, most of the non-dairy cheese is pretty yuck, and contains a milk protein anyways called casein so I don't know if that would be okay to eat or not.
Tofu can be used as a cheese replacement in a lot of things such as lasagna (firm tofu) or to make puddings with (soft tofu) and if prepared with the right seasonings you can't even tell!

Butter can usually be replaced with an oil of some sort in baking or I kmow there are some canola oil margarines you can get out there now. Unfortunately some of these are hydrogenated :(

And the good news is you can still eat chocolate, just dark chocolate which has no dairy like milk and white chocolate do :)

I'd recommend maybe buying a good vegan cookbook which can give you lots of ideas. How It All Vegan! and The Garden of Vegan are two good ones I have (same authors). I'm sure there are good specifically non dairy cookbooks out there too.

Sorry I'm not giving many brand ideas, but I'm in Canada and I know a lot of stuff might be different.

Okay, I've blabbed on enough now :giggle: but if you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me :goodvibes:

tanyaandallie 07-26-2006 10:07 PM

I was on dairy elimiantion for about 6 mos. Once I got used to it and figured out what I could and could not eat it was really not that bad. I just got sured to not being able to eat certain things and cooked meals according to my own limitations. The hardest times were when we went to friends homes. I usually either couldn't eat or couldn't eat much.

Have you checked out the food allergies board on babycenter? They have great recipe threads. Also, check out www.food allergy.org.

I'm sure you have read the list, just wanted to make sure you have cut all forms of dairy. Their are tons of hidden dairy derivitives out there!

weddell 07-27-2006 02:51 PM

My DH is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and fish. It turns out my dd is allergic to milk, eggs, and sesame ( I know what you mean about watching your babies after giving them certain foods). I have an epi pen for her and since she is breastfed, I have to give up dairy. I am already a vegetarian so giving up dairy has been hard since it is my major source of protein. Try shopping at Whole Foods. They have lots of dairy substitutes. Some of them are horrble and others are really good. I use soy milk for things where I would normally use milk. It's hard but you will adapt!