Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help! Biting! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25710)

Nikel1979 07-27-2006 09:23 AM

Help! Biting!

My 18 month old has started biting. It hurts. The girl has a full set of teeth in there. When she was younger, taking her off, wetting her down, and waiting to resume nursing worked wonderfully. It's not working now. It's like she not really interested; she keeps getting distracted. She only nursing for a minute or so before she starts chewing. As far as I can tell, my supply is fine. I've even started having random let downs at night again, and she night weanted back in May. I don't want to wean, but I can't take much more biting. Help!

EmnJJsMom 07-27-2006 10:33 AM

Re: Help! Biting!

Sorry, cant say I can help much. But if she's lost interest in nursing, then maybe she is going to self wean...

babygirls2 07-27-2006 11:32 AM

Have you got a bead necklace with large colorfull beads? That might help to keep her distracted from other distractions around and keep her mind on nursing and off of biting. My 6 month old just cut in her 2 bottom front teeth and she bit me 2 times. I think the shock of me jerking my boob out of her mouth and screaming...."OUCH"...was enough to stop her. She hasn't tried it today. It seems like she does it more at the end of the feeding when she is full but still wants to nurse. She gets bored and bites....hard....Owwwiiiieeee!!!! GL and maybe she is just going through a phase and she isn't weaning :( I know how sad I would be in that case!!!

rpg_mommy 07-27-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babygirls2
Have you got a bead necklace with large colorfull beads? That might help to keep her distracted from other distractions around and keep her mind on nursing and off of biting. My 6 month old just cut in her 2 bottom front teeth and she bit me 2 times. I think the shock of me jerking my boob out of her mouth and screaming...."OUCH"...was enough to stop her. She hasn't tried it today. It seems like she does it more at the end of the feeding when she is full but still wants to nurse. She gets bored and bites....hard....Owwwiiiieeee!!!! GL and maybe she is just going through a phase and she isn't weaning :( I know how sad I would be in that case!!!

:yeahthat:

My 8 mo old son does that too. He's got the front 4 teeth now and he bites when he's about done nursing and getting bored. I'm going to have to make a nursing necklace for him I think.

The first couple of times he bit me I jerked back and said "OUCH!!!" but he just laughed at me...*sigh*. Now when he bites I sit him up and say "No Biting!" and sit him on the floor at my feet for about 30 sec, so that he knows that biting = no milk. It seems to be working well - he hasn't bitten me in about 2 weeks.

Good luck mama! Those little teeth are evil!

aschrimp 07-28-2006 03:59 AM

Well, my 11 mo old ds has been biting off and on for months. I take him off and set him down, and tell him "no biting mama, if you bite you don't get to nurse". It's not working. It is the worst when he is getting teeth in (or they are new) but he's already got 6, and is working on the next two, so there haven't been very many spells where he wasn't teething or sporting some shiny new chompers that he was just dying to try out.

I love him, and I love nursing him, so I put up with the biting, since I can't come up with any good way to get him to stop. I think i've gotten a little less sensitive lately, which helps some. Your dd might be starting to get her 2 yr molars - that may account for the chewing. If that's the case, letting her chew on something cold first to numb up her gums might help.

katmarie 07-28-2006 09:11 AM

I think Dr. Sears suggests pulling them in toward the breast when they bite. This smooshes their nose so they can't breath and they let go and learn not to do it. Can't tell you if it works as I only have a newborn.

aschrimp 07-28-2006 12:12 PM

I've found the smooshing in technique helpful for when ds refuses to let go, but that's about it. My problem with my ds, which is similar to the op, is that he really just doesn't seem to care if he is stopped from nursing, regardless of the method of stopping him. He knows I will have to get around to feeding him sometime, I guess... they are pretty smart little people!