Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do you cook Swiss Chard? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25727)

alisonsage 07-27-2006 09:10 AM

How do you cook Swiss Chard?

I just picked up some super yummy looking swiss cahrd at the grocery store and was looking for some ideas on different ways to prepare it. How do you make swiss chard? TIA. :mrgreen:

toryandrew 07-27-2006 09:29 AM

Re: How do you cook Swiss Chard?

LOVE Chard!! We get a ton of it from our CSA so we cook it like so:

Chop into big pieces, remove bottom stem, chop up some calamata olives and garlic, mix it all together with a smattering of oil. A little goes a longer way than it looks. Fry it up on medium low. Once it small and cooked (oh like 3 minutes later) turn down to low throw some Feta on top, cover it until the feta melts and then serve.

I am constantly amazed over how I start out with what looks to be enough for say 12 people and then ends up as a side dish for two people

jennyofthemoon 07-27-2006 10:00 AM

Oh Tory that sounds look! I usually just cook mine in a bit of olive oil with some garlic and lime juice mixed in, and occcaionally with some feta. I'm not sure why I never thought to throw olives in there because I am an olive FREAK! I'll have to try that!

toryandrew 07-27-2006 12:17 PM

Here's a recipe I got from my CSA this week

Parmesan Chard

1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated. Save the leaves for another dish or to add to salad.
2 table spoons butter, melted
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 and boil a large pot of water. Drizzle a bit of the butter into a loaf pan and use it to grease all the surfaces. Chop chard stems down so that they will fit in the loaf pan and then put them in boiling water until they are almost tender, 4-6 minutes. Layer the boiled chard stems in the pan with butter and parmesan in between and on top of the final layer.

shandi 07-27-2006 11:53 PM

Alot of times I use chard in place of spinach in a recipe :)

Like in lasagna, or lentil stew.

Or I just steam it or cook in in the wok and add some olive oil and garlic, and a touch of Braggs. Flaxseed oil drizzled on it after it's cooked is yummy too!

alisonsage 07-28-2006 07:42 AM

Oh yummy, these all sound good! :happyclap: :mrgreen:

ahisma 07-28-2006 07:55 AM

We chop it up (remove the bottom stem first) and saute it with some onions, tomatoes, garlic an beans (kidney, northern...whatever sounds good) in a tiny bit of olive oil and some Braggs. We put it over rice...even DD (who is a veggie hater) loves it!