Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Shopping preferences - DS and other forums (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2575)

stacim 04-30-2006 03:35 PM

Shopping preferences - DS and other forums

Hi all! :wave:

Time to share your :2cents: !

Just curious as to what everyone prefers when shopping on forums. I am going to be listing some items (diaper and non-diapering) for sale, so I thought this might provide some good insight for me and other sellers as well.

A FEW THINGS TO GET THE CONVERSATION GOING:

Individual listings (one item or item type per listing) or one list per seller per category.

PPD or actual shipping calculated based on zip

Embedded photos, photo links or photos by request.

Stated price or make me an offer.

Experienced shoppers and sellers, chime in. I'm sure there's lots I am not thinking of.

TIA!
Staci
:popcorn:

MamaZ 04-30-2006 03:43 PM

Re: Shopping preferences - DS and other forums

Individual listings (one item or item type per listing) or one list per seller per category.
hmmm...I kind of like the one list per seller per category :)

PPD (I'm bad at calculating :laugh: )

photo links or embedded photos

both in a listing. It's nice to know the mama is flexible on the price :)

wbkt8 04-30-2006 03:47 PM

definitely PPD

i prefer embedded photos or a link to a specific picture (not just to the album)

a stated price - i think it's ok to indicate that you're open to offers but not just a listing w/ no price at all

i can go either way on doing it all together in the diaper lots section or in the individual category

my big peeve is people who just put up a link to their photo album and then don't bother captioning their photos/giving all the necessary details about sizing & price etc.

i think providing as much information as possible right there in the listing is the best way to go. i also really like it when people put measurements or a link to the makers size charts - esp for less well known brands.

bellsmom 04-30-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbkt8
definitely PPD

i prefer embedded photos or a link to a specific picture (not just to the album)

a stated price - i think it's ok to indicate that you're open to offers but not just a listing w/ no price at all

i can go either way on doing it all together in the diaper lots section or in the individual category

my big peeve is people who just put up a link to their photo album and then don't bother captioning their photos/giving all the necessary details about sizing & price etc.

i think providing as much information as possible right there in the listing is the best way to go. i also really like it when people put measurements or a link to the makers size charts - esp for less well known brands.

Yeah that!

SheilaJoy 04-30-2006 09:36 PM

Some people post links to their personal family pics, and then you have to go through them to find the item for sale. I HATE that!
But my pet peeve is "email me for pics". Why can't you just post pics to begin with? I usually skip over those, I want to see pics immediately, or I usually don't bother.
Oh, and I like one list per seller per category.
I am never comfortable with make me an offer, I would like a stated price.
And I like ppd rather than figuring out the shipping. :mrgreen:

Elphaba71 04-30-2006 10:19 PM

I prefer things listed in Diaper Lots, because I hate to discover something I want in another category by the same mama who just shipped a purchase to me yesterday. It's a waste for her to ship to me twice and I would prefer to request a small discount for combined shipping when I want to buy things from different categories. Or, at least note when posting in different categories that you have more fsot posted in X category. Along the same lines, it drives me crazy when people add to their lists days after the original post. I understand why people do it, but I always hate to buy more from someone I *just* bought from even when I see something I really want when they add stuff. A disadvantage to the seller.

ppd all the way. Actual shipping is fine on ebay where they have an embedded calculator, but on forums like DS and the Pin, I much prefer just a set price.

Embedded photos for small lots or single items are great, but I really like links to albums separated by category and/or size, with the appropriate info and price captioned by each picture, for larger lots. I agree the email me for pics is a turnoff for me in general and items without pics (and a comment about problems with the camera) are all but worthless to me. A picture usually answers any questions I would have about the dipe. Otherwise, I post questions and have to check back for answers - takes away some of that impulse component from the sellers perspective and creates a hassle and therefore less interest for me.

Stated price preferred. I hate making offers. It's nice to know when someone is flexible on their price, but a stated price at least puts you in the ballpark. Some people think their EUC dipe is worth $1 less than brand new while others think that EUC should be more like 2/3 to 3/4 of the original purchase price - btw, this is a small pet peeve of mine. More power to the folks who can get someone to buy their used dipe for $1-2 less than it would cost new, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Once someone else has handled it, I'm taking a risk that it hasn't been mishandled when I buy it (I've gotten burned once or twice), for $1-2, I won't take that risk. I'll look for it cheaper used - and I will usually find it if I'm willing to wait a few days, or I'll buy it new.

Finally, it's great when people update their posts whenever a sale is in process or completed. It's good to know what's been sold or is pending. I prefer when they keep the listing, but just note SOLD, rather than deleting. One of the first few times I bought, I went back to look at a pic or description of something after I paid and there was no longer a way to access that info as it had been deleted entirely from the post. I make notes on my Paypal now, but prior to that sometimes I had no good description of what I had purchased if I wasn't sure about something when I got it.

Wow - I've been writing novels in my posts today. That's enuf!

Blessedmommieof3 05-01-2006 02:44 AM

Individual listings (one item or item type per listing) or one list per seller per category. I like lists! I also like when they mention other items in different categories as well. Say you have a bunch of pockets and some AIOs, List the individual info in good detail about the diapers in the proper forum, then at the bottom maybe an I also have: __________ check the ______forum for details.

PPD or actual shipping calculated based on zip PPD seems to be the best here, on ebay I'd go with actual based on weight & zip.

Embedded photos, photo links or photos by request. Either - as long as the link is to the actual diapers...not an unlabeled album.

Stated price or make me an offer. definately a stated price. Then is a buyer is interested thet can choose to accept your price or find another seller without have to (at the risk of slighting themselves or you) PM you with an offer, you PM back, etc....

dirtdartwife 05-01-2006 03:54 AM

I prefer the individual listings but then a comment at the bottom of the post that states "check out my other listings" and then provides a link. I really do hate slogging through lists, especially if it contains more than five items.

PPD is the way to go here. Ebay it's good for actual shipping as alot of sellers jack the price up, but on here, it's harder to get away with price gouging for shipping. Your reputation can be ruined faster than lighting should you try to rip someone off.

I prefer pics in smaller listings, but if it's a larger listing- a working link to an album or something, with pictures annotated accurately to match your thread list. Nothing worse than clicking onto an album from a link in the thread and you can't match up the pics with the listings or the prices are off so now you have to PM the person to find out what the real price is.

I prefer stated prices and I always state a price in my listings. I know I'm flexible so I'll put OBO in my thread unless I know I'm at the rock bottom of my price range for the product. (I know people are looking for deals, but I don't want to feel as if I'm being ripped off or I'm ripping someone off)

Good luck! :goodvibes:

lovencloth 05-01-2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacim
A FEW THINGS TO GET THE CONVERSATION GOING:

Individual listings (one item or item type per listing) or one list per seller per category. I perfer a list, with a good title that includes type and SIZE of the dipe/item

PPD or actual shipping calculated based on zip PPD all the way

Embedded photos, photo links or photos by request. Embedded photos, makes it easy to eliminate things right away.

Stated price or make me an offer. Stated price, many mama's will feel they will insult if they offer too low, so will not offer at all.

Experienced shoppers and sellers, chime in. I'm sure there's lots I am not thinking of.

TIA!
Staci
:popcorn:

HTH!

vick 05-01-2006 07:37 AM

One of my pet peeves is people listing everything individually within a category, so I'd say one post per person per category. If you're selling a big old lot of assorted dipes, post in the lots section, and then I'm cool with a linkie post in each individual category.

PPD- just build it in there.

Embedded photos if you know how to size 'em and there aren't a ton. If you're doing a big list o' stuff, links to the exact item are fine. If you're gonna do a whole photo album of stuff, label it accurately, include measurements for wool and include the price. And try to clump like items together, please.

Definitely a stated price.

Additional thoughts:
  • Update pending/sold/traded regularly
  • ITA with the PP to just change your subject line to sold but to leave at least item descriptions in the body when your stuff is gone
  • Don't do "first to PP gets it" - I'm never sending PP without someone saying "it's yours, send PP to___"
  • Don't charge more than you paid just because you don't want to be out shipping - that's just one of the costs of doing business.