Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Making Homemade Mac and Cheese? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258495)

I Smile Because Of Them 10-29-2007 01:43 PM

Making Homemade Mac and Cheese?

How can I make it? All I have on hand in Egg Noodles, and a package of Mild Cheddar Cheese. And sliced American Cheese? Any ideas?

ForCryingOutLoud 10-29-2007 01:50 PM

Re: Making Homemade Mac and Cheese?

I have done it before!

Do you have any milk?

This is what I do, I get a about cup of milk heat it and add some flour (like a palm full... maybe a little less) to thicken it then add cheese until it is to the thickness I want.

DS loved it and ate it up!

angelnavywife 10-29-2007 02:39 PM

This is what we do:

Cook the pasta in chicken broth, add some Parmesan, lots of mozzarella, and some grated cheddar. Add a splash of milk, and cook on low heat until it all gets creamy yum!

We also occasionally just cook the noodles, add a bit of butter and grate some cheddar on top that is yummy too, just not traditional mac and cheese!

Persikka 10-31-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gegesmommy (Post 2043045)
How can I make it? All I have on hand in Egg Noodles, and a package of Mild Cheddar Cheese. And sliced American Cheese? Any ideas?

Oh yeah! the recipie i use is basically noodles, cheese (it calls for slced cheese - but i do use a mix of cheddar and american) and milk.

1) cook noodles (1 lb box), preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) spray 9X13 pan with non-stick spray
3) layer dish (get the kids to help!) as follows:
a) 1/2 the noodles
b) dived a slice of american cheese into 3, use 4 split slices over noodles, and sprinkles on 1/2 a 8oz pkg of shreeded cheddar over noodles/sliced cheese
c) 1 c milk (or half & half)
d) Repeat layering
4) if you want, crush up about 18 ritz crackers and sprinkle over top
5) cook for about 35-40 minutes

ENJOY!

Meg678 11-01-2007 09:41 AM

I'm sure other people's recipes are probably better, but this is one I use all the time because it's super duper fast and cheap.

Add enough to what looks good and depending on how big your casserole dish is will determine how much to use of each.

Elbow macoroni (or whatever you have)
Grated cheese of your choice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 can of milk
Soda crackers

I usually use half a package of the smaller bag of noodles. While the noodles are cooking, add everything else except the soda crackers and a little bit of grated cheese into a casserole dish. I usually end up putting aprox. 2 cups of grated cheese in. When the noodles are done, add as many as will fill up the rest of the casserole dish. Sprinkle a lot of a little cheese on top. Then crush soda crackers and sprinkle over the top. Cook uncovered at 350 until bubbly (usually between 30-45 minutes, but make sure it's bubbly). You can also put it in the oven at 300 for practically forever. For example if you don't know what time dh is coming home, put it in at 4:30 and you can leave it in until it's time for dinner and it will be ready.

The kids love it!

Abaratkeeper 11-01-2007 09:49 AM

Here's the easiest mac n' cheese and my toddler's favourite! His Nanny makes it all the time and I finally watched her one day and now it's all we make.

All you need are: noodles, shredded cheese and water.

Cook your noodles using enough water to get them cooked. I use enough so that once the noodles are cooked you can still see some water in there when you stir it, but not enough that the noodles are swimming in it. I turn off the heat and then add the cheese, stir really good and soon you have perfectly covered cheesy noodles.

2under2cbout3 01-21-2008 06:30 PM

I realize I am late in posting this but wanted to get it on here for people like me that surf deep into the forums when they have time.

It is long but well worth trying.....Enjoy!

1/4 cup butter melted in frying pan
about 1/2 cup flour, stir together, it will be all caked together, not to worry.
about 1 cup milk to 2 cups of milk. Add a little at a time and stir all the time and it makes a white sauce. As the milk and the flour mix it becomes thick and the lumps go away. It may take more milk to make it like thin gravy.
cube about 2 cups of your favorite cheese. I like a little cheddar and alot of mozzarella. Add the cubes to the white sauce a few at a time, keep stirring as they melt. Keep stirring until all the cheese is added and melted. Taste! It may need more cheese. Some cheese is more flavorful.
Add cooked noodles of your choice & for more additions see below.

Favorite veggie's (they can be canned)
Can of tuna
Browned chicken

PS We make this then freeze half for later or for giving to another family.
It was given to us when we had our 2nd baby.

ericak95 01-21-2008 10:38 PM

Easiest one that my kids LOVE (I'm not partial to it because I don't like American cheese) came from Sesame Street cookbook.

2 cups noodles
8 slices American cheese
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp oil

Cook noodles per instructions, and drain. Add remaining ingredients and stir until melted and combined.

I often half the recipe, and fix it for a quick lunch -- sometimes I add some tuna fish or peas, ect....

Erica

momto5boys 01-21-2008 10:58 PM

Oh man...I love mac & cheese...Now I'm hungry! LOL I think I'm going to try a few of these....Thanks Ladies..

geez0pete 01-23-2008 02:22 PM

I usually add tuna and spinach to my mac n cheese and make it a casserole! :)