Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Taci is a Tummy Sleeper,Make Me Feel Better About This (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25954)

Sarah 07-27-2006 07:34 PM

Taci is a Tummy Sleeper,Make Me Feel Better About This

So Taci is taking a nap,and I go to check on her. Eee Gads,she's on her tummy. I know she rolled herself over,but uh,isn't tummy sleeping bad?
Is it ok to let her sleep like that? I'm sure the older two must have tried,but I don't remember how we handled it

Sarah

aliks 07-27-2006 07:40 PM

Re: Taci is a Tummy Sleeper,Make Me Feel Better About This

I think it's fine once they start rolling over on their own. Tony did that, he still sleeps on his tummy, he'll do the butt in the air sleeping.

Candy 07-27-2006 10:16 PM

My DD has slept on her tummy since she was about 2 months. She just slept sooo much better that way. She still does now at 17 months.
If she rolled herself over than it's fine.

supermomelisa 07-27-2006 10:17 PM

:nono: J/K! My 2nd DD slept like that from day one, only way she would sleep...And she's 4 now :) My ped. also says not to worry too much about them tummy sleeping if they can roll over on their own. Just be sure to not have blankets, sheets, toys, etc. up by little ones face. I am sure you know that already. HTH

skayers01 07-28-2006 12:49 AM

When we were children, you weren't suppose to lie your child on their back, no they say not to lay them on their stomach. Ten years from now they'll be saying something else. Obviously don't lay them on their tummys if they can suffocate, but other than that I think it's fine!

jennyofthemoon 07-28-2006 04:59 AM

My kiddos have all slept on their tummies since day 1. That's a matter of preference I think. But even for those who are adamant about following the BTS guidelines, it says that once they are able to roll themselves over, they are fine to be sleeping however they want. :) I wouldn't stress about it!

hauser 07-28-2006 05:41 AM

My oldest slept on his tummy starting at 3 months old, my youngest since birth. But, my youngest has a medical condition which makes him being on his tummy the lesser of two evils, if you know what I mean. The benifits out weight the risks.

They are most at risk of SIDS between 2-4 months. Babies who change sleep positions are more so, (ie. sometimes you put them on their back, sometimes tummy, sometimes side) Sticking to tummy is far less risky than switching between the two in other words. (I think the back to side switch is okay, it is just the back to front side ot front) Babies who were around smoke inurtero or after are higher risk too. Side sleeping has a two times higher risk than back sleeping, and babies who sleep with a paci are at a lower risk. It is also important to keep them cool while sleeping, becuase babies who are "hot" while sleeping have a very high risk! BF babies and babies who sleep near (the same room)thier parents also seem to have a lower risk, although most doctors feel the evidence on this is not conclusive!

However, if they can roll themselves from back to front this all goes out the window!! Once they can do that they are pretty safe.

Sorry just though I would share the info. My sons doctors briefed me on all this before they could say put him on his tummy, after all since he is my son it is my decision! Basically to save themselves they tell me this is some of what we know, however we feel he is better on his tummy due to these reasons.

Watercolor Ponies 07-28-2006 06:32 AM

My ds #2 would not sleep on his back to save his life! So we just decided after a couple of sleepless nights that tons of babies through the ages have slept on their tummies and been fine, so we would have to trust God and let ds do what came naturally to him. Plus once they learn to roll over, there isn't much you can do to prevent it. She will be fine, just check on her before you head to bed to make sure her face isn't in covers or the crib bumper or anything. :hugs:

katmarie 07-28-2006 07:35 AM

I put my 4 week old down for naps on his tummy because he has some issues with gas. At night he sleeps with us so he's usually curled up next to me. I think a lot of parents let their babes sleep this way, but you just don't hear much about it because it's a no-no. I wouldn't worry about it.

MamaMegan 07-28-2006 07:37 AM

My daughter was (is) a tummy sleeper when she's in her crib-- I was uber paranoid, even though she could roll there herself, and had good head control so I bought an Angelcare Movement Sensor. It made me feel much better-- I wasn't sitting next to her during her entire nap watching her breath-- heck I still check my 2 year old--

I bet she's okay if she got there herself. :)