Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Formerly the "Delete" thread...update at bottom of thread :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25989)

SoftBumBaby 07-28-2006 01:28 AM

Formerly the "Delete" thread...update at bottom of thread :)

Hi, girls. I see a ton of vax threads. I didn't want to hijack any of those, so I'm starting another.

I have a 3-year-old son. He has approximately five words total to his vocabulary. He has just been labeled PDD. His speech therapist is also throwing around the possibility that he may have apraxia of speech. I can not tell you the heartache this has caused us. I am ready to pull my hair out from the classes and therapies and everything else I spend my entire life taking Colin to, with no results. He has been through EI and is now about to enter the school system for preschool and for speech therapy. He has had speech therapy in one form or another since November of LAST year with NO improvement to vocabulary at all.

We also have a 7-week-old son. (And a 20-year-old, but his immunizations are already done, obviously.)

I just read my 3-year-old's vax records. I didn't even know what they were giving him! I just said "okay." They even vaxed him for Hep A! What the freak??? He had...(drumroll please) TWENTY-FOUR vaxes in his first two years.

I don't even know what some of this crap is. Prevnar? What the hell is that????

They both (the two little ones) go in for checkups on Wednesday and I know the doctor will be hovering with the needle.

So far Evan, the baby, has gotten Hep B.

What should I do? Where do I start? I don't know what to do...probably vax Evan, but wait until he's two. Does that sound reasonable? For Colin it seems like it's too late. :( What have I done?

Is there anything to be done about reversing the autistic effects of vax? If anybody has any ideas on this, I would love to know. Sorry to ramble.

SoftBumBaby 07-28-2006 01:50 AM

Re: Vax and my baby

Quick update: I looked up Cali laws for vax. These kids only need (unless an exemption is filed, of course) fourteen vaxes including boosters to enter Kindegarten.

We were in NJ for all but the last two, but the requirments are similar there. I can't believe how many needles my older DS has gotten. The doctor led me to believe that he NEEDED them. I mean as in requirements. I guess I should have listened more carefully. "Schools give you a hard time if your child doesn't have all his shots" is a pretty slimy way to make a parent think that THIS particular shot at any given appointment is a "requirement"---IMHO.

I am going to delay Evan until he's two for further shots, and only get the shots that are absolutely required--unless further research on my part makes me not want them at all. But I think DH would fight me on that. This is all just really upsetting to learn. I hate my New Jersey pediatrician. I feel she led me astray about a million times and let precious months slip by while my son got worse and worse. :banghead:

jjaelovesenglish 07-28-2006 02:04 AM

If you are not comfortable then I would hold off until you have the information you are comfortable with. That is what we did. We did not get pressured by our doctor at all because we chose him and fought to get him because he is the one guy that knows quite about autisim and that is in our family. They don't have enough info to deny that this is the cause, but the don't have enough info to prove it either. Google Dr. Stephanie Cave. She has a really good book on alternatly vaxing (still vaxing, just on a different schedule) I don't know the titile right off the top of my head, but that book probably had the most information in it. We also give vax one at a time! I think we did the first two vaxes three weeks apart and the second two two weeks apart. My DD is 9 months and only has 4 vaxes total for two different things. These were the ones that we sat down with our doc and discussed because we do live in CA and do have risks for certain things. You have to make that decision as a parent, but having the right information and being able to provide that information to the doc helped us. We even brought 3 or 4 books in and asked questions. If you have a college nearby, also getting information through medical journals on the subject is key.
Good luck with your search, but be bold and do what YOU feel is right, not what the doctor pressures you into KWIM?

keegans_mommy 07-28-2006 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftBumBaby
Is there anything to be done about reversing the autistic effects of vax? If anybody has any ideas on this, I would love to know. Sorry to ramble.

Tiffany is going through Chelation, removing the heavy metals injected into her body and creating Asperger's. Her life has been difficult and our life with her has been difficult, to say the least!:banghead: She's doing MUCH better since starting her treatments so we are hopeful!

PM me with any questions :hugs:

SoftBumBaby 07-28-2006 10:59 PM

Thank you both for the help and the input. I have been considering chelation as well. Thanks again...feeling a little calmer about it all now.

crunchy-mama 07-29-2006 07:46 AM

I agree that you should hold off. Always remember you can always change your mind and vax but you cannot go back an unvax. Do asmuch research as you can before deciding to vax.
A great place to look for info is the mdc boards (mothering.com) there is a lot of great info to start with and a lot of links etc to start with.

If you are concerned with autism I would have your child evaluated and check out your options. Chelation along with diet can make a world of difference.
((hugs))

9800Emily 07-29-2006 10:39 AM

I would defiantly delay until you have all of the info to make a decision that you are comfortable with. My dd had reactions to her first and second round of shots. It wasn't until then that I did research :banghead: . I have been lucky to have a doc that is helpful and supportive of our delaying vax. My dd will not receive anymore vax until she is a year and a half old. Then she will be getting one at a time and certain vax will be omitted (polio - our doc says this isn't necessary and that spinal minigites is basically the same as polio, HIB - she had bad reactions to this, maybe some others) Motheringdot.com has some great info.

rxmommy 07-29-2006 10:52 AM

Prevnar is the pneumococcal vaccine. It prevents against dangerous invasive infections that used to kill many babies under the age of 2. A 90% reduction has been seen in kids since the vaccine became routine.

I don't want to start an argument but as a health professional I believe, and always will, that vaccinating your child is the single most important thing you can do for their health.

SoftBumBaby 07-29-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxmommy
. A 90% reduction has been seen in kids since the vaccine became routine.

And what has risen? Oh yeah, autism. That's like trading Parkinson's for cancer.

Do we know that it's *because* of vax? Well, no. It could be an absolutely wild coincidence.

It's fine that this is your belief (that vax is the best thing for a child). I personall don't have the luxury of beliefs in this regard. Cold hard facts are staring me in the face. As I said...for us personally, I'm not willing to gamble a second child's future. Frankly, struggle for three years to get a child to understand the command "please hand me that toy" or to be capable of pointing out pictures in a book and then come back and tell me how beneficial vaccination is.

Again...no, it hasn't been exactly *proven* that vax are the cause (or the spark that gets things going in that direction, anyway). But it's *something*...so why not eliminate most of the changes, esp. those that act directly on a child's system, that have occured during this rise in autism just to be on the safe side? That's my "belief"...but if you feel differently...you're more than welcome to take over for the next twelve months of OT twice a week, ST twice a week, special classes five days a week, in-home services twice a week and STILL never, ever, ever, ever hearing the word "mama".

ETA: Sorry to be hostile...but I had another "health care professional" terrify me into vax...24 of them in 24 months, actually (including the boosters). She's now safely on the other side of the country while I am struggling to make my son understand who the h*ll I am. So I'm a little leery of professionals trying to frighten or guilt me into stabbing my son with yet another metal that will damage his brain. Frankly...you professionals don't have to go home with, love and cry for the results of your interference. We parents do.

SoftBumBaby 07-29-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
Tiffany is going through Chelation, removing the heavy metals injected into her body and creating Asperger's. Her life has been difficult and our life with her has been difficult, to say the least!:banghead: She's doing MUCH better since starting her treatments so we are hopeful!

PM me with any questions :hugs:

Going to PM you...can I ask whether this is something that has to be done through a doctor? Is this a DAN thing? Thanks so much! I am desperate. Desperate to hear my son call me a name. Any name would do at this point. :( Desperate to have him be able to point to the kitty...since we've only been working on that one for 24 months now. Desperate to have his verbal skills rise above the 14 month level. I just want to put my head down and cry. It is like pulling teeth. EVERY day is another therapy for Colin and still nothing. :( Thanks again.