Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Will any old fleece REALLY work? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26062)

SAHMLamar 07-28-2006 09:56 AM

Will any old fleece REALLY work?

I read somewhere that a momma uses regular old navy pants for her dc's cover in the winter. Will that really work? I'd love to be able to just use some fleece we have around...
Let me know if you've tried it.
Also, do you really think fleece is cool during the summer? It seems like it'd be so hot and I can't imagine putting my dd in fleece shorts and her not burning up...
TIA...

OneFabMama 07-28-2006 09:59 AM

Re: Will any old fleece REALLY work?

Ive never used fleece, but from what I hear yes it does really work. Ive had fleece pockets and they are bulletproof! So I would imagine fleece covers/pants would work just as well. I woulnt use a thin fleece but like 200ct fleeceor 300ct flece would definitley work :thumbsup:

And, I dont think using them in summer would be a good idea. Maybe a fleece pull up or fleece shorties. But definitley not pants - but I cant say for sure. I dont think they are as breathable as wool

8blessings 07-28-2006 01:18 PM

hi!
I used fleece all of the time, year round. Pants in the winter and pull on covers in the summer, they are very breathable and not any hotter than a disposable!

MomsHelpingMoms 07-28-2006 02:52 PM

Any old fleece will NOT work. That person was able to use her pants because they were probably polar fleece (which repells water-not waterproof). Eventually, it will feel wet, but if you don't mind changing diapers often, you could use store bough (like Joanns) alpine/polar fleece. If you really want a "bulletproof" diaper, you should invest in some Malden Mills 300ct fleece. That is what HoneyBoys and other fleece covers are made out of. The Malden Mills also washes up nicely while the other stuff with pill terribly after a few washings. Joann's carries an anti-pill fleece, but it is thinner and with not repel as well as alpine/polar. Also, another thing to remember is the more fleece is washed, the more 'fuzzies' it will lose and the less tight the fibers will be on a cheaper fleece. :2cents:

Shaineinok 07-28-2006 02:59 PM

For us pretty much any old fleece would work unless it was really thin. Won't work for a really heavy wetter though. It is breathable and I use fleece diapers and covers year around. When I am not using my wool anyways! :)

*~Mindy~* 07-28-2006 04:33 PM

yeah old navy pants work, im an idiot i keep forgetting we were using those in the winter, and telling people i only have one fleece cover, HELLO!! duh mindy!!
but anyway theyre pretty thick fleece though, not like super thick but not really thin withwer, and not micro like a lot of the pullover thinggies are.

and i dont know about fleece in the sumer, most of my sons dipes are fleece inner (though i wish they werent) and id just not put pants on the baby, just use shorts or a soaker, id only use pants -MAYBE- if theyre thin cotton or wool right now anyway since its 90 something and super humid!!