Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chores?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26148)

nothing_butt_cloth 07-28-2006 01:37 PM

Chores??

How old are your kida nd what chores do they do.
I have just always done about everything. They make their beds ( and i remake them) and they clean their rooms, and sami will pick up the clothes and put them in the laundry.

Well, Today we had things to do and i wanted ot get out before it was too hot. SO i gave Gabby (4) my Vaccuum, and shewent to twon on the family room. She did a great job.It took her 10 min and it normally takes me 3. but i didnt have to do it, and i was able to clean the kitchen while the family room was being cleaned.
Then i gave sami (5) a wash rag and had her wash off hte table andc chairs. She did a great job! And then i had her scoop the kitty box for me. This was not great, but she id OK. I just showed her when she said she was done, how to finish thejob.

Emma 2 was picking up toys and putting them in the toybox. not much, but it helped some
WHY do I not givemy kids chores. They were proud they helped me, and the work got done faster.
How do you decide what chores are best for what age??

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 07-28-2006 01:40 PM

Re: Chores??

Sounds like you picked great chores for thier ages! My dd does the dishes and vacumes, dusts, helps fold laundry and wipes down tables etc.. shes great at it.. even tho she hates it now that she is getting older.hahaha

Fither 07-28-2006 01:57 PM

i also think that you did a great job. maybe a good way to tell what is appropriate for their age is if they're able to consistently do it well (maybe not as well as YOU :giggle: ) without needing to be prompted after a few times?

i did SO MANY chores when i was growing up. way way more than any of my friends did, and you know what? when i went away to college i was teaching all of my friends how to do laundry, clean, iron, cook, and i was glad that i had done so many things at home in my younger years. i also had a great deal of responsibility for my younger siblings (i practically raised my youngest sister, my mom even admits this!) and i wasn't the least bit scared of becoming a parent.

i think chores are so good for kids. maybe not as many as i had to do as the only female older child, but they really are capable of helping, and doing a good job! and like you said, it really makes them proud!

Watercolor Ponies 07-28-2006 02:05 PM

Great thread! Do you mind if I ask what do you all think that good chores for a 4 yo and 2 yo are? I am always thinking that they should be able to do things that are either way beyond them or way behind them any suggestions would be awesome. And you can PM me so as not to steal this thread!

Mel 07-28-2006 02:09 PM

They both have to clean their bedroom & the playroom. They also put their own clean laundry away.

Joshua is 9. He does the dishes (unloads the dishwasher too) and occasionally cleans the bathroom (when needed and I have to tell him)

Noah is 7. He wipes off the table and sweeps the dining room/kitchen daily. He also does the household trash.

Jonah is 2. He doesn't do anything. We are working on getting him to clean up his own toys in his room. At least helping would be a start.

They get weekends off :giggle:

nothing_butt_cloth 07-28-2006 02:32 PM

"Great thread! Do you mind if I ask what do you all think that good chores for a 4 yo and 2 yo are? I am always thinking that they should be able to do things that are either way beyond them or way behind them any suggestions would be awesome. And you can PM me so as not to steal this thread!"

My kids alll clear their plates and scrape them after each meal. That is something that saves mom a bit oftime, and my kids at 2, 4, and 5.
I think the 2 yo can help pick up toys, and laundry,
4 year olds can help sort laundry, ( and learn colors at the sametime)
My kids also help me put their clothes away. while i hang what needs tobe hung, I have them put away, jammies, and undies and shorts. in the right drawers.

DOnt worry about stealing this thread. I was looking for a discussion....:mrgreen:

Melissa 07-28-2006 02:38 PM

Well Jacob is 8 and he loads and unloads the dishwasher. He will also vacuum and dust if asked but we try to stick with just the dishwahser

Aubrey is almost 4 and she picks up all the dirty clothes (most are hers anyways) and she helps load the washing machine when I start it. She likes to dust bu that isnt really asssigned since I have to do it again lol.

Amelia well she is just 18 months but if I tell her to take something to the trash she will get it there 1/2 the time the other 1/2 she dumps itin her bubba's room.

The older two also take thier plates in and take turns washing the table off. They also make sure the dog and cat are fed/watered.

twinsmomkatie 07-28-2006 02:46 PM

My 2-year-olds have a sticker chart . . .they have 6 chores (responsibilities) each.

1. Get out their own placemat, plate, cup, and napkin for each meal.

2. Get dressed and put jammies in the drawer or the laundry.

3. Eat lunch (our "big" meal with Daddy) using utensils, manners, and eating all the food we put on their plates. (They also have to ask "Please, Daddy, may I be excused?" when they're done.)

4. Clean up all their toys in their bedroom and the playroom each night. They get an extra sticker for cleaning up their baby brother's things, too. (but this is not required)

5. Reading and memory work - we read every afternoon, and the girls memorize things like Bible verses, short poems, etc. Sometimes we do artwork that relates to the book (we're using Five In A Row).

6. Go to sleep sweetly with no fussing or procrastinating.

When we introduced these, you'd think we'd given them a shopping spree to Toys R Us! They LOVE doing their chores, and our extended family members help us by praising the girls quite a bit. For now, the stickers and our praise is all the motivation they need; when that wears off, we'll probably go to . . . get x number of stickers each and we'll go out for a special treat.

I always had a TON of chores at home, and personally, I believe I'm much better for it. We had to make complete meals from a fairly early age, do all our own laundry after the age of 10, consistently memorize classical music and poetry and patriotic type recitations, write letters to my grandparents (a tradition I have continued!), garden (weed, water, harvest, plant), and keep our own rooms neat and orderly.

Sure, we resisted some, but mostly we were proud of our abilities. Chores were very enabling to all 4 of us, and I'm sure they helped my mom, too! :)

Carrie 07-28-2006 02:48 PM

Ryan and Ethan are only 19 months. Ryan LOVES to be given a job to do--put something away, throw something away, or put toys in the box. Ethan couldn't care less about helping. So I'm thinking the biggest issue is making sure they are sharing the chores equally. I'm all for chores!

TwinKristi 07-28-2006 03:03 PM

My 9yr old twins do most of their own laundry (hang up shirts, fold jeans) and they load up and unload the dishwasher. They take turns each week and get $2/wk for doing it. They also earn extra money (like a quarter or two) for taking out the garbage, vacuuming, sweeping, helping in their brothers' room and watering the garden and lawn.
My 4yr old is all into chores and when he can do them so he gets to help clear off the table or puts away the silverware or picks up his room.
My 2yr old doesn't help yet.

I did a lot as a kid. I had to do all my own laundry at 7 when my mom had my sister. I cleaned house when I was older, babysat my sister, helped with shopping, cooked meals.... I did a lot for being so young. But it helped me be a better adult and know what my responsibilities were and what needs to be done. My friends all thougt it was outrageous, they just had to keep their room clean and wipe down their bathroom. LOL

I think you did a good job with your kids today! Its always nice to have help and keep them entertained at the same time!