Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26164)

CMamma 07-28-2006 02:31 PM

Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?

Anyone NOT let their kids watch? I'm getting to the point where I wonder if I should allow my kids to watch them at all. Especially after watching a few movies recently & actually making a list of a few words:

hell
lust
sexy
erotic

Just to name a few... Maybe me & DH just weren't paying attention enough before but we were both like holey moley!

nothing_butt_cloth 07-28-2006 02:35 PM

Re: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?

We do let them wathc disney movies and pixar movies...

I did notice when we took thm to see Cars last week, the language was not the greatest.

BUT
I also noticed when we saw shreck a couple weeks ago at the summer movie program, the languagewasnt great either...

I feel there will always be outside inflence, but i also think the inside influence needs to be greater.

Mydd always wants to watch king of the hill. ABSOLUTEY NOT gonna happen!! he thinks, oh its a cartoon, so it is OK. Umm no!!! And now she knows, if weare out of hte room and the simpsons comes on, she changes the channel, or any other adult type cartoon.
Fortuantely though, we dont have cable so that helps alot!!!

rebeccah5 07-28-2006 02:42 PM

We do let DD watch them. While they have gone somewhat downhill in the language department, I still feel like they're better than their Dreamworks counterparts. I personally liked the movie Madagascar, but I cringed when we watched it with DD. And I wasn't too impressed with Over the Hedge, either.

You know, even when I go back now and watch classic Disney movies like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, I find that they aren't appropriate for DD to watch.

erthangel 07-28-2006 02:43 PM

This is my favorite website..
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/index.cfm

It is NOT the place to go if you don't want any spoliers...

This is a GREAT site to find out what is in the movie to see if you want your child to watch it or not..

It lists...

A summary
Positive Elements
Sexual Content
Violent Content
Crude or Profane Language
Drug And Alcohol Content
Other Negative Elements
Conclusion

It is from Focus on the Family, a religious site.. But... It is a great resource if you are concerned about what is in a movie, it is very detailed to the facts and what is said...

Carrie 07-28-2006 02:46 PM

Hmm, I always assumed we would. I'm still mad at mom for not letting me watch ET when I was 5 (not really, but you know what I mean?). I think this may be one battle we'll choose not to fight. We don't really watch TV--the kids think it is a fun toy to turn on and off. We don't have cable and get crappy reception most of the time. Hopefully it won't become too much of an issue.

ewebabymama 07-28-2006 02:49 PM

Absolutely. They are rather young right now, so tv isn't much of an issue. however, things like tv, music, etc I won't censor much if at all. (of course no **** or hardcore horror, but usually hardcore horror is soft core **** IMO) anyway, I think it's better to teach my kids that music and movies are fiction and we don't live our lives the way music or movies portray.

Watercolor Ponies 07-28-2006 02:59 PM

We let them watch Toy Story and Toy Story 2 and that is about it.

Shrek, they have watched like twice, but then I saw the prince get (and make obvious his "discomfort") an erection when he is look at Fiona through the magic mirror

Madagascar, well, we let them watch it once, until the Zebra spelled out Sugar Honey Iced Tea. I mean come on, how hard do you want a curse word put into your cartoon for kids without parents "noticing"?

IMO they "cartoons" they have been putting out nowadays are far more for the adults than for kids. Just my :2cents:

lastaats 07-28-2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMer
Shrek, they have watched like twice, but then I saw the prince get (and make obvious his "discomfort") an erection when he is look at Fiona through the magic mirror

Madagascar, well, we let them watch it once, until the Zebra spelled out Sugar Honey Iced Tea. I mean come on, how hard do you want a curse word put into your cartoon for kids without parents "noticing"?

OMG i never noticed that in Shrek....i'm going to have to watch it again now. Though i did see the priest in The Little Mermaid.

I think they're trying too hard to make kid movies fun for adults too. Like if it has things geared towards the parents too then they won't mind taking the kids....which i think is a bad idea. It's a kid movie so let it be that way...there are plenty of adult movies out there.

However, so far the only movie that i have been truely outraged about was The Cat In The Hat movie. That was like the first movie i had taken my dd too in a theatre and i though it would be cute (she loves Dr Suess books). But we ended up walking out. That was NOT a kid movie imo.

JustAugust 07-28-2006 04:24 PM

Depends.

I was VERY unhappy with Madagascar!

Shrek seems less kid movie to me anways. I kind of view it as a movie for us, lol.

I'm also very unhappy with The Incredibles. A man attempts suicide? Why on Earth is that in a children's movie? They are only little once, they have plenty of time to learn that the world is not always a happy place.

Sarah 07-28-2006 04:33 PM

I'm missing it,what was wrong with Madagascar? It's a movie we watch quite a bit here.
Ya know I'm sure I'm in the minority here,but I think it's more important for us to try to show our kids how we want them to act,rather then cutting out things we think would possibly show them ways we think are less acceptable