Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   CDing just great, until winter (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26379)

mooandme 07-29-2006 12:32 PM

CDing just great, until winter

I have a very chunky 15 month old ds. I love cds, but im ALL about trim. In the winter cding and I are the worst enemies. I can't figure out how to make it work. Seeing the bulk inside his pants and when he sits I can tell its harder to breathe. This kills me. Im on a limited budget and if I want #2 (huge baby fever that wont go away) I have to cd full time because of $. I dont have the funds to try this and that diaper. I need to keep the diapers under 10.00 ea unless they will last a really long time and look good. The diapers are fine until I have to stick them under bottoms (shorts or pants). It is way to cold in my house in the winter to not cover his legs. The baby legs I tried were to tight. They left huge red indents and Im guessing cut off his circulation because his legs were cold.

Is there any hope? :banghead:

aliks 07-29-2006 12:53 PM

Re: CDing just great, until winter

I bought my son some fleece pants, it's always winter here in northern washington except for this month. It's just easier for him to get around in those vs. denim anyways.

CMamma 07-29-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliks
I bought my son some fleece pants, it's always winter here in northern washington except for this month. It's just easier for him to get around in those vs. denim anyways.

ITA

And the pants can be the cover as well... so less bulk right there.

mooandme 07-29-2006 01:03 PM

Are there any other options? We aren't fleece lovers here.
Am I asking for a miracle?:blush: :hugegrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliks

mom2hancj 07-29-2006 01:05 PM

How about wool?? I think wool longies crocheted, knitted, or recycled would work as great pants. I am going to stock up on some here that can double as pants. You can get some trim fitteds that wouldn't be too bulky if the pants can work as the cover. HTH

MamaMegan 07-29-2006 01:12 PM

My son wears warm up pants, fleece, sweatpants-- I've found some brands of jeans fit chunkier than others. I've seen some cool (though $$$) longies that have cargo styling.

rowynne 07-29-2006 01:15 PM

Sweatpants work great for us or the next size up in jeans. I use mostly FBs or BGs and her regular clothes (summer stuff) fits just fine over them.

Adamsmama 07-29-2006 01:23 PM

Some other options:

BumGenius--I think they are very trim--they are about $17 per diaper but are OS, easy to use and trim (and come with the insert).

FB--I use these in sz large for both of my boys and they are very trim I use either one insert (microterry) or 2 (one microterry and one hemp).

Heiny Huggers (right at $10 per diaper) fitteds with pull on covers (like Bummis Pull on which is $5 per cover). You could have a whole stash of the HHs and 4 covers which would save some money. I have a couple of these and used them on my youngest--who is 19 months and couldn't believe how trim it was!

Hope you find something that works for you. :)

ETA: We don't buy special clothing to fit the diapers--I've now found systems that are trim enough for under almost any clothes (every once in a while we'll run into problems...but not often) and don't leak!

PolkaDots 07-29-2006 01:25 PM

We loved using fleece pants as pants and a cover over the winter months. However if we were going out we do like more of a jean look--I found that going the next size up was all that was needed. If the pants needed rolled at the hem they still would look stylish.

You can do it, it isn't really that much of a difference once they are up and walking!

myajdw 07-29-2006 01:44 PM

i say PUL covers (velcro, snap or pull on). if necessary buy one size up in jeans and either cuff or hem the pants. use some trimmed prefolds or a trim fitted or something. if you can find pockets for cheaper go that route. there are some wahm pockets out there. just can't say who lol.

HTH!