Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Shots (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2656)

lovemygirls 05-01-2006 12:30 AM

Shots

dd is going for her 4 mo shots tomorrow. For those of you who are on a delayed shots schedule which ones should I get now? I looked back at my other dd's shot records and she got 5 (yes 5) at one time. I don't want to do that to Madalyn which ones should I get now? TIA!

SheilaJoy 05-01-2006 02:39 AM

Re: Shots

I don't think I will be of much help, but I decided not to get any shots for my dd at her 4 month checkup. Dr was none too pleased, but I didn't care. I thought it was too young to get any shots, esp since she had been injected with 5 different diseases two months earlier!

lovemygirls 05-01-2006 08:58 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure if I should pass on all of them or not....our state has 42 cases of the mumps that has broke out over the past few weeks. So I don't know which shots to get now and which to avoid (or avoid all of them together) kwim?

vick 05-01-2006 09:50 AM

We aren't vaccinating for anything, but here are a few links to delayed schedules

Dr. Stephanie Cave's schedule

Dr. Donald Miller's schedule

MDC Discussion on delyaed schedules

Drummer's Wife 05-01-2006 02:05 PM

I realize you posted this yesterday but if I were you I would have cancelled the appointment until you have fully researched this issue... you can always decide to vaccinate later.

I can't help you with delayed schedules as after a yr of researching we decided not to vax at all.

As far as mumps... for one the 1st MMR dose is not given until 12-15 months so that will not be one for the 4 month visit.

Plus a huge amount of people who contracted mumps were vaccinated against it so that just proves that immunity is questionable as far as effectiveness and how long it lasts. The MMR vax is also one of the most dangerous ones, so read up on it before that 1 yr or 15 month old well baby visit.

There is a ton of info out there, I started by researching the facts about each vaccine and the diseases they are intended to prevent. Then I looked more into the vax controversy once I knew statistics. 2 sites that sealed the deal for me were the CDC (center for disease control) and VAERS (vaccine adverse event reporting system) both provided by our government BUT had I started there I would have probably came to a different conclusion as they of course promote fully vaccinating.

Good luck on this journey, no matter what you decide the most important thing is to be informed before you do anything!!!

lovemygirls 05-01-2006 03:08 PM

My dd's appointment is NOT until later tonight so I do have time to make a decision and I have been trying to research all of this stuff for almost 2 weeks now. Thanks for all the imput I appreciate it greatly!

kezoo 05-01-2006 03:29 PM

Ginger, we decided to NOT vax at all, after doing a ton of research. We basically decided that, in our opinion, the risk associated w/ catching any of the diseases was less than the risks associated w/ vaxing! Educate yourself on the actual seriousness of each disease (e.g. mumps is not that serious for girls, mildly worrying for boys) so you can understand the situation fully. I would explain to your ped your concerns about having multiple vaxes at once, and ask for them to be spaced out. Any caring ped should be able to rationally discuss that w/ you! Good luck!

SheilaJoy 05-01-2006 07:17 PM

Oh I'm glad someone posted the delayed vax schedule. I was looking for one but couldn't find it! Let us know what you decided on!

MamaLove 05-01-2006 07:48 PM

I recommend waiting until you feel confident in your research and decisions.
It is a very important, individual decision, so make sure you feel right about what you choose.

FYI You don't really need to worry about mumps for your dd. The only major risk of mumps is for boys, (who can very rarely cause a swollen testie to become sterile, which is why they started giving the shot even though it does not give lifelong immunity, and mumps is more likely to do harm in older boys). Mumps is like an ear infection with some swollen glands that lasts a few days, and having it DOES give lifelong immunity. It was once considered a normal childhood disease. Most of the recent cases of mumps were with children that HAD been given the shot, so it doesn't seem to be giving immunity at all, and may very well be the cause of the outbreaks to begin with. Most importantly, you don't want any shots with mercury, since the levels have been increased and are clearly causing autism in healthy children.
I am not vaxing after learning the risks involved, but I made that decision confidently after lots and lots of research. I use homeopathy as a safe alternative. HTH!

Good luck, mama!

lovemygirls 05-01-2006 08:33 PM

thank you all for the comments and links to research this. We did go to the doctor tonight and I opted for NO vacs today, and the dr was willing to work with us on a delayed vax schedule!! :whoohoo: I feel much better about the decision that my dh and I made today.