Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can having no AC it hot weather make kids sick? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26573)

CMamma 07-30-2006 10:46 AM

Can having no AC it hot weather make kids sick?

I'm curious b/c both boys are acting sick the past couple days... and the baby just isn't having wet dipes. He was a little wet from overnight & usually he's soaked... and he's had no wet dipes yet today & yesterday he only had 2 the entire day. I've been trying to get him to nurse more but he is just fussy and won't nurse so much... no less than normal I don't think, but he's just not wanting anything to do w/anything. I've even offered frozen/slushy BM & juice, water, applesauce, etc. No luck.

It's been like 95 average the past few days & we have no AC & it's usually that hot or hotter in the house (was 97 inside yesterday).

I keep thinking I need to just go buy a window AC unit but don't know that we can afford a higher electric bill & honestly I don't even know if I have enough to put it on our CC.

I'm worried... so LMK what you think or your experience.

upstategirl 07-30-2006 10:59 AM

Re: Can having no AC it hot weather make kids sick?

I think people need to keep cool but, I don't think you have to have ac to do that. Now I live in Upstate NY and only deal with the hottness once a seson so I'm sure people down south or out west might have a different saying. We also live in a older house where it stays cool in the summer. Maybe getting a fan for the window would help. The one where it blows air inside but, also lets the air inside go out. It keeps the air cirulating. When we are home Bruce just wears a diaper and that's it. That helps in keeping him cool. He might be coming down with a cold or something too. Hope he feels better! :goodvibes:

Kels5kids 07-30-2006 11:01 AM

I said yes, you do not have to have AC but if you can open windows and even run a fan to circulate cooler air your children will not be so miserable.

CMamma 07-30-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kels4kids
I said yes, you do not have to have AC but if you can open windows and even run a fan to circulate cooler air your children will not be so miserable.

The boys are just wearing diapers... we have every window open... no breezes at all. We have tons if windows too - 5 in the living room & 3 have fans in them :( Just not helping.

zzwhitejd 07-30-2006 11:06 AM

Heat can be a problem, but really sweating is actually good for us as it releases toxins. That said... you can dehydrate and then it is a problem, especially when they are little. Just make sure they are not getting too dehydrated, as it sounds like they might be and that is reason for concern. A fan would certainly help, nursing is better than water, if you can get him to do it. A cool dip might make him less fussy enough to nurse too... a toddler pool might be a great investment! Sounds like a good time for nakey babies to me!
I hope the heat wave breaks soon! It's been humid and hot here and it just stinks!

alanajo 07-30-2006 11:07 AM

Heat can make a child sick. Just make sure to keep them hydrated, let them run around in just a diaper, and open the windows and run fans. The more fans the better. When I lived at home with my parents we never had AC. We just ran a attic fan (when I was smaller) and then just opened windows and doors and ran other fans when I got older. Maybe run some water in the tub and let them take a bath to cool down.

skayers01 07-30-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstategirl
I think people need to keep cool but, I don't think you have to have ac to do that. :

I wish I was where you live!

Our apartment windows get direct sunlight as the sun rises and sets, so with the heatwave, it was hotter than hell here! At 11pm, we were still waiting for it to cool off. We had 3 fans in the livingroom and one was in the window. I had to take Ashton outside to put him to sleep!He was just crying and crying, poor baby! Yes, heat can make you sick. Grouchy, headache, upset tummy. Make sure they stay hydrated.

skayers01 07-30-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottonMamma
The boys are just wearing diapers... we have every window open... no breezes at all. We have tons if windows too - 5 in the living room & 3 have fans in them :( Just not helping.

Us too. I love how the fans just blow the hot air around the room! If Ash or hailyn start getting too hot, we let them take cool bath. For hailyn we gave her a bunch of toys and just let her play there for as long as she wants.

ahava'smama 07-30-2006 11:17 AM

I have noticed if nothing else, being cool helps with having less attitude problems

ravenonyx 07-30-2006 11:37 AM

It doesn't just make them sick, it can kill. Dehydration is a very big danger, and the majority of the nation is in drought conditions right now as well (60 percent, article from yesterday's paper.)

If your wee one doesn't have more wet diapers soon, and won't take fluids by mouth, he may need instravenous fluids at the hospital.