Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   c-section w/ second child mommies...question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26845)

yellowcampcat 07-31-2006 10:15 AM

c-section w/ second child mommies...question

I am going to try for a vbac, but in the event that it doesn't work out, I was wondering how long you had help at home with your toddler. My dd will be 23 mos. and 25# when the baby comes (in less than a month!) and I'm worried about being able to lift her if I have a csection. My mom will be here for at least a week, and my dh can take a few days off, too. Do you think I'll need help w/ lifting 10 days or so after surgery? I'll basically just need to lift her into and out of her crib for her nap. Thanks mamas!

Watercolor Ponies 07-31-2006 11:00 AM

Re: c-section w/ second child mommies...question

I think that all depends on how fast a healer you are. For instance, I was walking the halls of the hospital a few hours after my CS. When we got home (this is for my 2nd and 3rd children) I was walking and pretty much doing my daily stuff with some extra reast. 10 days out was like I had never had the surgery for me. How were you for your first CS? were you able to do your regular daily stuff, just at a slower pace? Or did you have to flat out rest for a few days and then slowly get back into your routine? I am pretty sure that any dr. would tell you err on the side of caution, so rest as much as you can while you have help, bcs that will go far when you are by yourself. Might even be good to have dh take off half days instead of whole days, that way he can be home for a longer period of time, does htat make sense? Like if he went to work in the morning, then came home to give you afternoons off? Hope all goes well for ya!!:hugs:

cr2005 07-31-2006 11:22 AM

It depends. Jason was 32 pounds when Carter was born and it was hard to lift him for a good 5 or 6 weeks. This was my second c section and I had a harder time healing from it than I did my first. Lifting Jason may be the reason it took longer to heal, but when your kids need you what are you going to do. Good Luck.

scwendy 07-31-2006 11:38 AM

I only had someone around for a week or less, and it was no problem. In fact, I think I would have been fine from day one. I just made sure not to lay around too much OR to overdo it. I also did not take any pain meds after coming home, because it enabled me to listen to my body.

That was years ago after DS and DD1 was 2 1/2.

mamamac 07-31-2006 12:18 PM

My second c-section went great and I started to heal nicely. I felt great after a week, but over did it when I thought I could pick up my 30 pound 16 month old. I only did it once and regretted it for a few days. Now that I am over 3 weeks post op, I am picking her up to go down the stairs and bedtime stuff, sometimes with the baby in the sling. I think it will just be how you feel and how your incision is. Dont be afraid to call a neighbor to help when you need someone to run over and pick someone up out of the crib. I love my neighbors and we all have had to help eachother with the kiddo's. Good luck! I hope the VBAC works for you.