Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   annoying relatives, complaining! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26907)

sesa70 07-31-2006 12:49 PM

annoying relatives, complaining!

We spent the day with my aunts yesterday and one in particular was driving me crazy!
My dd is 8 months old, and she kept telling me she was behind in development because she was not talking! :headscratch:

Last I checked 8 month olds dont talk. She insists her children all were talking at 8 months and that my dd should be using at least a handful of words! And get this, the reason she isnt talking is because I dont talk to her enough. I am not teaching her of course. I dont use words when speaking to my baby. *sigh*
Of course she also had something to say about her not crawling. Naturally its because she is in "that thing" all day, meaning the babycarrier (either ergo or mt). Not only is her late crawling my fault but she will never learn to walk now either.

WTF? My baby is JUST FINE thank you!

marelle4381 07-31-2006 12:51 PM

Re: annoying relatives, complaining!

I haven't ever heard of an 8 month old talking. LOL. That's crazy :lostit: . SHe's wrong and don't let her get to you.

laprettygurl 07-31-2006 01:04 PM

Yep, you better get a huge sling so you can carry her around when she's 20. :lostit:

I think we've all heard some stupid stuff. The best thing I've found is to laugh at the info giver. LOUDLY! and sometimes mutter "that's nuts" :giggle:

SheilaJoy 07-31-2006 03:20 PM

I swear, everyone over 50 claims that their children are walking, talking and using the potty by 9 months of age!
My Hannah's 9 months and she doesn't walk, talk, or even crawl yet (well, she army crawls). I'm not worried about her!

sesa70 07-31-2006 05:49 PM

Thank you guys! It really bugged me that she was rude like that. I think the worste part is that she was saying she had all these delays and it was MY fault! She must think I am an idiot not to use words with my daughter! What does she think I just grunt at her all day? Seriously!!

I am not worried about her at all. She is perfect just the way she is!

But, this is the same aunt that was literally chasing me and dd around the house with a cookie when she was just 3 months old telling me I was starving the poor baby and she *needed* to eat that cookie.

annes_cottage 07-31-2006 07:08 PM

Now....I am not siding with your aunt...but my niece was talking some at 7 mos....she could say What is that? . Had I not heard her myself, I would have NEVER believed it! Aside from her, who I do not think was normal....I have 7 and none of them talked that young, nor any of my friends kids!!

I like the pp where she laughs loudly. I think the baby she knows that is talking that young should be entered to Ripley.

SOME babies crawl before then, some to not. All develop at their own pace.

Sounds like your dd is happy and healthy and no worries! Take what they say and let in go in one ear, out the other! maybe she is just jealous.

:hugs:

mommy2zander 08-03-2006 11:35 PM

:hugs: Sounds like your Auntie needs a gentle reminder that all children grow at their own pace... not to mention I think sometimes our parents & older relatives don't really remember, they just think they remember... :laugh:

Sometimes I think that people attack our carrying our kids or our attempting to with-hold all the sugar because they have regrets about their own child-rearing days... Maybe they see us carrying our attached babes & wish they could have had access to such an amazing tool! :D

I'm sure your babe is perfect!! :D

KaleidoscopeEyes 08-03-2006 11:42 PM

I probably would have gotten rude, but I can have a pretty short fuse with annoying family members :giggle:

dirtdartwife 08-04-2006 12:13 AM

I've only got three little ones and each one of them developed at different rates. My oldest did start talking at about 7-8 months, walked fully by 9 months, running at 10... bunch of stuff. But my middle... she didn't talk till she was about 18 months, walked at 10 months, but potty trained by two. My baby, she's about 15 months, says about three words, didn't walk till she was 12 months.

I have laughed out loud to people that have critiqued the development of my children and I have told them "that's nuts" loud enough for them to hear. Most of the time I just shrug my shoulders, tell them "Eh, whatever... to each their own. My baby is doing JUST fine, but thanks for your concern." :mrgreen:

Sorry your relatives are being a bit annoying... hope tomorrow is a better day!:hugs:

geckoed 08-04-2006 06:22 AM

my first walked at 10 months and my mom said I had to put him under an upside-down playpen so he couldn't stand up- otherwise he'd be bowlegged.
My second WAS talking at 8 months, and my mom said I had to ignore her because if you let them talk to you at that age they end up bossy and spoiled.
My 3rd child was very petite, because I nursed him of course.
My 4th is a GIANT... because I nursed him of course.

My 3rd and 4th wear the same size clothes, they have to share or they'll be spoiled. They should never share clothes because they'll have rivalry issues.

My 3rd used a pacifier until he was 2.5. He was never going to talk, but by 2 they thought he never shut up. He was way too old for a pacifier.Pacifiers are "icky"

My 4th never used a pacifier.. but they said he needed one, it would make my life so much easier.

What I'm saying is:
PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!!!