Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27029)

Kellyd 07-31-2006 07:31 PM

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

Need some advice from you ladies that may have tried this.

I'm 37.3 weeks and due to be induced next Tuesday. I'm already dilated to 3 cm and am about 70% thinned out (as of last week's appt.) I have always had fairly easy labors- and short ones as well. My first was 6 hours, my second barely 2.5 hours, and my third (induced without pitocin) was 3 hours. So- I'm wondering if I get some of the tea or the tea capsules if taking them now would likely go ahead and get some contractions going enough to put me into labor- or just help get things really toned up and help this labor go well too.

Advice?

aliks 07-31-2006 07:43 PM

Re: Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

It worked well on me, but I only drank it the day before my due date. I didn't have any false labor or any contractions before then so my friend told me to drink it. Within 12 hours I had my first contraction, then 12 hours later Tony came into the world. Another friend tried it and it didn't even get things started, she had to have pitocin when her baby was 2 weeks overdue. Good luck!

Severine 07-31-2006 07:54 PM

RRL is more of a uterine toner than contraction-inducer. At this stage, it's probably safe for you to take Evening Primrose Oil, though, which does induce contractions.

boobyfeeder 08-01-2006 08:28 AM

RRL and EPO do not induce contractions. RRL strengthens and tones the uterus, and it is great to take throughout the pregnancy (though that's a moot point for you now!). It is said to make the contractions when you do go into labor more productive and shorten labor. Though again, that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. If you take an infusion of RRL tea when you start labor (make a pint with a handful of loose leaves, let steep for 30 minutes and drink hot), it is supposed to help. EPO ripens the cervix, especially when placed directly on the cervix, and can help soften and dilate to prepare for labor. If you decide to take EPO, it is recommended to take one in the morning and one at night, both orally, as well as placing one (punctured or not) directly on the cervix (or as close to it as you can reach).

Severine 08-01-2006 09:22 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Meghan! :D

I knew RRL was not a contraction-inducer, but I thought EPO was because it's suggested that you do not take it from Ovulation forward when TTC.

boobyfeeder 08-01-2006 10:35 AM

No problem, I hope I didn't come across like I was trying to sound like a professional. I have just done a lot of research on these things, for myself. EPO is definitely not something you want to take while TTC b/c of that very reason. You WANT a hard cervix in the beginning so the pregnancy remains viable. :)

Kellyd 08-01-2006 11:34 AM

I don't need the EPO- I'm already dilating and pretty soft, so I think I'm okay in that dept!:giggle:

At this point I don't really care if the tea were to send me into labor- I'm only a week away from my induction date anyway, so I'm not worried about preemie type situations. I kind-of need to avoid tomorrow- my sister has an important court date that my parents have to be at with her- so I was a little worried that if I started drinking it today it might push me into labor tomorrow when my mom and older sister wouldn't be able to be with me.

Maybe I'll get it today and start drinking tomorrow!

Bare Bottom Gear 08-01-2006 11:40 AM

If you want to start your labor drink Papaya juice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried the tea and it doesn't/didn't work for me! I drank a 32 oz deal of papaya juice from the natural foods section and the next day I went into labor!!!!!

boobyfeeder 08-01-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAHMTo2
If you want to start your labor drink Papaya juice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried the tea and it doesn't/didn't work for me! I drank a 32 oz deal of papaya juice from the natural foods section and the next day I went into labor!!!!!

That does it, I'm going to the store when DH gets home tonight and getting me some papaya juice! Thanks for the tip! ;)

I can't wait to have this baby, my edd according to *them* is next Wednesday, but according to *me* (I know when I conceived, tyvm) it was last Wednesday. We'll see what happens. How far along were you when you drank the juice?

MamaLove 08-01-2006 03:53 PM

I drank a quart of red raspberry tea every day of pregnancy. I didn't have any complications, but I was in labor for 3 days! This herb is very good for the womb, but certainly not for speeding up delivery!

Here's a good link to natural labor inducers:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html