Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Parenting advice from... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27058)

KnottyLDSMama 07-31-2006 08:22 PM

Parenting advice from...

...a grocery store cashier?? We went to Kroger to do our grocery shopping today. While we were checking out, the cashier asked how old DS was. Then she said, "He's probably not even eating food yet."

I replied that no, he definitely wasn't eating food yet, and that he was 4 months.

She went on to talk about her daughter and her children. How, with her first, she was "afraid" to give the child any food. With the second, she wasn't as afraid, and with the third, it was "whatever". She then went on to say "It's your first, isn't it?"

Well, I'm sorry, but I was offended. After all the time about first-time parents being "afraid" to give their children solids, and then making the comment about DS being our first, it ticked me off! She then said something about children needing solids, and I replied very matter-of-factly that "Children don't need anything but breastmilk for the first year." She scoffed and said that 3 doctors told her to give her child solids because she wasn't getting enough from breastmilk.

And then, in the car, DH had the nerve to tell me I had been rude!! :banghead: He's usually very supportive, but he acted like the woman hadn't said ANYTHING wrong and that I was "dying" to pick a fight!!

*sighs* I'm sorry, but she came across as extremely rude. But then again, people don't think twice about comments like that being rude. I don't doubt that she didn't specifically MEAN to be rude, but when people talk out of ignorance (like about how children NEED food), I just can't let the ignorant comments slip by.

Was I off base here? :headscratch:

titania 07-31-2006 08:31 PM

Re: Parenting advice from...

no, you were not off base--SHE was!! what would a 4 month old do with food anyway? maybe 'whatever' is good enough for her baby, but its not for mine! or yours, than goodness. good for you.

mama23boys 07-31-2006 08:44 PM

:hugs:nope you werent off base! my ds is 6months and STILL isnt ready for food!! so what would a 4month old do with it :headscratch:

even though ds is my 3rd it feels like my 1st bc he's my only BFd baby and EVERYTHING is a whole new ballfield and trust me i have been getting advice and people trying to feed him unwanted foods all the dang time :banghead:

next time just smile sweetly and say "Breastmilk is his FOOD until HE wants something else."

:D

Irishmommy 07-31-2006 09:28 PM

My mom tried to give my dd sweet tea when she was seven months old, so I know about people trying to feed your child things that you/they would not want/need. I got all kinds of unsolicited advice. I just try to let it roll off my back. I just try to comment something like, "Isn't it interesting how ALL babies are different." They can't argue with that and it helps them realize that there isn't one set answer for anything. And, no I don't think you were off base at all. And, I hate it when people are condescending to you just because you are a first time mom; actually I just hate it when people are condescending period.

jennyofthemoon 08-01-2006 05:15 AM

Oh, I cannot unsolicited "advice" from people ins tores. MY biggest peeve is when I have a babe in a carrier with their head smooshed over, and somone tells me I better fix that baby because they are uncomfortable. Does anyone really have babies that sleep soundly whhile they are uncomfortable???