Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why are some people so anti when they should be for it?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27119)

GrowingUpMad 08-01-2006 07:52 AM

Why are some people so anti when they should be for it??

Like a big DUH here!!

The little girl I nanny just turned 2. I was all for cloth diapering her but I was not about to spend my money buying some dipes for her ~ I only have 2 that would fit her. I brought it up to her mom who was totally disgusted and wanted no part of her dd in cloth. I told her I'd launder them and send her home in a sposie, still no. So I stopped using my 2 Ihad and use sposies full time. The wipe thing also grossed her out and since I am not washing anyone elses poo wipes I use sposie wipes for her.

Anyway, she ran out of wipes last week and had a horrible case of the runs. I told her mom I needed more and what did she bring? Those hand wipes you keep in your car. Like the cheap round container that pop through the top. To top it off they are off brand. she said she was flat broke so ~ fine, whatever. So poo just goes through them and it specifically says for hands ~ smells horrid and full of chemicals. I was using my cloth wipes for pee diapers and those for poo followed by a wet cloth wipe. So Friday I mentioned she would need diapers. Monday arrives, no dipes ~ I remind her agian. Today she hands me a stack of diapers and says "I'm broke, you need to make these last all week". They are some off brand that hold NOTHING. So, I am limited to max. 3 diapers in a 10 hour day until Friday (hoping she remembers some on Monday).

So, if she is so broke and can't afford diapers and wipes why not use cloth?? I am willing and able. I will even shop for her and find some deals. Why be so anti cloth when you are sticking your child in the worst of the worst? Ahhh, it's so fustrating. So here is this child in a wet cheap sposie and all I can think is I only have 2 more for the day (1 before nap and 1 after ~ I already changed her this morning), I feel so bad.

Okay, there's my vent!

CheaperByTheDozen 08-01-2006 07:55 AM

Re: Why are some people so anti when they should be for it??

Awwwwww... that poor baby! Maybe you could mention it again????

Namaste 08-01-2006 07:56 AM

Makes me scratch my head as well.

RachelFlores 08-01-2006 08:03 AM

Man, that is AWFUL. I don't know if you are liscensed by your state or are planning on becomming liscensed but if you want it to stop, here is an idea that may work. Print off the liscensing requirements for at home daycare in your state, highlight the applicable sections, give it to the mom and tell her that you are working towards state liscensing and you HAVE TO comply with those rules. EVERY state has rules on how often you have to change a diaper in a daycare situation and I guarentee that it is NOT 3 diapers in a 10 hour period. I know in Texas, for infants it is every 2 hours or every poopy diaper whichever comes first. Once you let her know how often she HAS to be changed BY LAW, you can mention cloth again and maybe she will be more interested in listening. Just an idea. Sorry for your bad morning.:hugs:

Watercolor Ponies 08-01-2006 08:03 AM

My suspicion is that if she has very little money, she doesn't want to have to buy the Cds. To many people it seems like a lot of money. Which it can be, but only once, which is what I have to stress each time I talk to someone about why we CD. As for the "eew that is gross" comments from people, using cloth and washing pooped in diapers in your washer can seem gross. Tbh, I cringe whenever I have to rinse a poopy one!:laugh: But I do it bcs I enjoy the other benefits from CDing, kwim? And I get the feeling that a lot of moms feel as if I am somehow looking down on them if the use sposies (which I don't, to each his own) so maybe she feels like your suggestions is implying that she is making a bad choice for her child by using sposies? Which I am sure you aren't but being a working mama must get her lots of juding looks so maybe she is just feeling like it is one more stick in the fire to be asked to switch to cds? I dunno, just trying many guesses here! But :hugs: to you for being concerned, it sounds as if she def. needs to get you some more diapers whichever kind she chooses!!

lararum 08-01-2006 08:16 AM

That is crazy! I've been broke and we used sposies for a long time, but I would make sure dd had dipes and wipes before I bought anything for me. We never ran out, and I always bought Pampers or Huggies.
I hope you get that resolved.

flowerpotg 08-01-2006 08:19 AM

Some people just don't know any better. You've done your part in planting the seed.

Maybe when she see's her baby with a horrid diaper rash on just 3 sposies a day she'll begin to see the light.

hauser 08-01-2006 08:20 AM

Hmm this raises so many questions, the fact that the child is with you 10 hours even!! SOme people have to work but WOW is that normal for daycare situations!! Not that you could afford this, but I would stop watching her!! NOt that it solves the issue, but that it really not sanitary to leave her in those dipes that long!! I wonder if she even gets changed at home? Maybe you can find a way to approach her with out offending her. I am sure she would qualify for miracle diapers or something?? I am sure free could be attractive to her if she is so broke!!

THat is so sad, it reminds me of a story my cousin told me. THis baby at her daycare came back to daycare every morning in the dipe he left in the day before!! He was convinced of this, and started marking them where the parents could not see. Sure enough the mark was there the next day!! She started taking pics etc and reported them!! Okay enough about the rant that just saddens me!!!

LuAnn 08-01-2006 08:21 AM

I would still print up some sort of contract, even if not licensed parents need to abide by rules....stating that a child MUST HAVE enoguh diapers to be changed every 2hrs when in your care if needed plus a couple extras for the day, just incase. You can make up your own contract, I have a contract saved of mine because when I lived in GA I had a licensed home daycare lmk if you want me to help...good luck

Oh a question, you were willing to use cloth diapers but not cloth wipes?? they still poop in the diapers so whats the difference? (not trying to be snotty just wondering)
LuAnn

ETA: yes 10 hrs is usually normal for daycare...You work 8-9 hrs aday and depending where you work and traffic is the other 1-2hrs.

hauser 08-01-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuAnn
ETA: yes 10 hrs is usually normal for daycare...You work 8-9 hrs aday and depending where you work and traffic is the other 1-2hrs.

Ohh I guess that makes sense, my kids have just never spent a minute in a daycare so 10 hours seems like an eternity to me:giggle: