Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Newbie (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27240)

KKDJLJA 08-01-2006 02:03 PM

I have now 5 children and am intersted in CD for my baby. He is now 5 months old and in size 3 almost 4 disposables. I havent the first clue where to start. I have read A LOT and still am clueless:blush: I would really appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what to get for a complete supply. TIA

travelinmom 08-01-2006 02:25 PM

Re: Newbie

It depends on what you want to do, all in ones, pockets, prefolds and covers. I would look on the fsot and try a few things out before you make a final decision. If you don't like it you can always sell it. I don't know if money is an issue but the cheapest way to go would be a couple dozen pf's and about 6 covers. You can wash the cvers in the sink if you run out and that should be enough pf's to last a couple days.

ShannaMarie 08-01-2006 02:33 PM

Are you wanting to go the "most like disposable" route? For that, you'd want either pockets (have a waterproof outer layer and some kind of soft inner layer next to baby's skin, with an opening for stuffing the absorbant part) or AIO/AI2's (Waterproof outer, snap in (ai2) or sewn in (aio) absorbant part.

Your baby will likely wear mediums in most styles of pockets and AIOs, but look for the weight and measurements of each particular dipe to be sure.

We just started CDing about 6 weeks ago, and so far LOVE it. You'll definitely want to try all kinds of different dipes to see what works best for you!

KKDJLJA 08-01-2006 06:04 PM

I guess what is hard for me is there are so many different brands and styles, not knowing what is what is VERY overwelming. I like the prefolds with the cover idea, not that cost is that big of an issue but it just seems like they are the most practical. At least where I have read about cleaning and drying times.

KKDJLJA 08-01-2006 06:13 PM

Also what is the difference in the soaker material. Snap in liners, trifold, quickdry, hemp, sherpa. I am so CONFUSED!!!..lol.

looking8186 08-01-2006 07:51 PM

Well.... I'm pretty new also but I think I can answer a couple questions..
The difference in the soaker material just means more or less absorbancy and/or different feel (I think lol) , snap-in liners actually "snap" into the inside of the dipe... there are some snaps on the soaker/liner and some snaps on the inside of the dipe and you just snap them togethor, trifolding liners just means that you either trifold them and lay them in the dipe to add extra absorbancy or you can trifold and stuff then in the dipe if its a pocket.

As for quickdry, hemps and sherpa... I'm still learning too so I cant help ya there lol....... well I hope that that helped and also all you other mamas reading this please correct me if I'm wrong cuz i'm not totally sure on this info.

Well good luck to you mama and stick with it, it's a great thing to do for your baby and also for you!!(shhhhh don't tell anyone put cloth diapering is LOTS of fun!!! :giggle: )