Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Longevity of covers and diaper elastic? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27259)

Raquelita 08-01-2006 03:14 PM

Longevity of covers and diaper elastic?

We're planning to space our kids about 3 years apart (though who knows what it will actually turn out to be).

Anyway, I am curious for those of you who cd'd multiple kids how your covers and fitteds held up during storage. I know my prefolds won't age, but i'd hate to hold on to covers, pockets, and kissaluvs if they won't be usable in a few years.

So if they're in VGUC when i pack them away in plastic storage bins, will they still be in good shape to use with baby#2 in a few years?

Raquelita 08-01-2006 08:38 PM

Re: Longevity of covers and diaper elastic?

Anyone???? Has anyone used covers for more than one kiddo?:headscratch:

cowmommy 08-01-2006 09:02 PM

I would think that it might degrade or dry rot but this is my last baby and my first time using cloth so what do i know lol good luck finding out though

Samantha 08-01-2006 09:49 PM

Hard to say.....I do think about things like the elastic in pants that go through multipul kids....

I think if it were ME I would sell as my child grew out of stuff...because then you could try the latest and greatest when it comes to the next baby. :giggle:

OneFabMama 08-01-2006 09:53 PM

Yeah, I dont know. I personally wouldnt save them. I would sell them for the next size up or whatever...because what if they dont hold up well then you have stuff you cant use and you cant sell. Plus, I agree with Sam who knows where cloth will be in 3 years - I'd definitley want the new stuff. :mrgreen:

nothing_butt_cloth 08-01-2006 09:54 PM

Ive never had the chance to store. When my youngest was born i had 3 in cloth...

Some will do well though, and some will not. it all depends on the brand of elastic. and also if the maker got a good batch or a bad batch...

I would sell personally, except your absolute faves.... then you can buy new again...

z2akids 08-02-2006 06:14 AM

My oldest is 5 1/2. I used prefolds, 1/2 dozen or so Fuzzi Bunz and 6 or 8 Diaperaps covers with him. I only cloth diapered him for about 6 months because the daycare I loved wouldn't use cloth and I couldn't deal with 2 systems. So, I put them away 4 1/2 years ago. I CDd my second child for 6 months (again the daycare issue), so I pulled them out 2 1/2 years ago and put them away 2 years ago. Well, my daughter is now wearing those same FBs and prefolds (although most of those have been dyed and converted to prefitteds) and my daughter has a WAY larger stash than my sons did. I have upgraded from the Diaperaps, but I did sell them and some baby out there is using them.

I actually brought out one of the FBs that all 3 children have used yesterday to show to a customer. I was showing her and her DH how well the FBs had held up over 3 children and 5+ years of use/storage. They were very impressed. They were buying their initial stash for their first baby and we were talking about how much money they could save down the road with additional children.

Anyway, I made sure that they were all good and clean and dry and I stored them in a rubbermaid tote. My smalls are all in one now awaiting baby #4 if he or she ever happens to be conceived!