Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How often to nurse an 11 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27288)

riandkymommy 08-01-2006 06:01 PM

How often to nurse an 11 month old?

My DD is 11 months and still nursing lots! And I mean lots!! Well over 10 times a day. More so, somedays, than she did as a newborn! Now I am in no hurry to wean, I am enjoying it, but I went to work out today and she couldn't last the 1 hour I was gone with DH!! I nursed before I left and then again when I got home!

Just wondering how often your 11 month olds nurse(d)? My DS weaned himself at 13 months, much to my chagrin, so this is new territory for me!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Silverfairy2 08-01-2006 06:15 PM

Re: How often to nurse an 11 month old?

Sounds like it is comfort nursing. If she can't go an hour without you then maybe she is teething or just needs to suck? My daughter is only 6 months old, but she nurses all the time, too. She won't take anything but me, so I can relate.
All things come to an end...so, enjoy it while you have it cause she will certainly outgrow it.

riandkymommy 08-01-2006 06:23 PM

Oh it is DEFINITELY comfort nursing, lol! Since I posted, she has gone to bed and then woke up to nurse again!! LOL!

I am definitely enjoying it. She is a mama's girl :mrgreen: I do wish I could take a shower without feeling guilty though, she doesn't sleep without me either!

Kellyd 08-01-2006 06:33 PM

Has her pattern changed- such as did she used to go longer and now all of a sudden she's wanting to nurse more frequently? If so- then she probably is teething or having a growth spurt, etc. If she keeps it up you may want to try and give her alternate ways to help her comfort herself- if you're wanting her to get back to her more usual pattern.

riandkymommy 08-01-2006 06:40 PM

Do you have any options on alternative ways to comfort herself? Any ideas would be great!

She has been in this pattern for a while now....we were on vacation and I think it actually started with all the changes, and she is teething now so that is adding to everything too. DH is starting his training for overseas now, so he is gone lots too....so much is changing in her poor little life....poor baby.

Irishmommy 08-01-2006 08:16 PM

Something that has helped both of my kiddos is a VERY soft bunny (velour - ds's was a giraffe) that has long ears or a tail in the case of the giraffe that they rubbed on themselves or between their fingers. HTH, goodluck!

SugarBunsWool&More 08-01-2006 08:24 PM

I have a 12 month old and he nurses 4-5 times in a 24 hour period. He eats 3 meals a day of solid foods too. :)

Jeanie 08-01-2006 09:44 PM

I think every 4-5 hrs seems reasonable at this age if she is eating solids. I can't imagine nursing all the time..I am sore with every four hours. Good luck!

dessismama 08-01-2006 11:34 PM

My 11 month old nurses every 3-4 hours when I am around and a few times at night. He eats solids once a day.

Ontariomama 08-02-2006 07:05 AM

Katie, Nathan still nurses just as often as Kyla and he's 15 months now.

He's still going 6 or 7 times a day and then ALL night long - like literally waking up and hollering if he unlatches! ;)

It's for comfort and he's growing so fast, I think it might be more for MY comfort than his - if he's tired or upset, or cranky or even when *I* am tired, I'll offer to nurse (gets him to sit for a few mins! lol), so I'm quite the enabler, I suppose. ;)