Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Did your mom breastfeed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274234)

cakeums 11-21-2007 09:42 AM

Did your mom breastfeed?

I saw a mama on another thread mention that she breastfed although she had never been exposed to it growing up. I was just wondering how others here were influenced by their exposure to or lack of exposure to BF'ing.

My mom breastfed me and my brother, me for 9 months and him for 6 or 7. Not for an extended period of time, but longer than most at that time. She was young (19 with me, 21 with him) and didn't grow up seeing others breastfeed. She says that although she knew BF'ing was a good thing to do, it was really the rebellious teen in her that led to her BF'ing in the first place since it wasn't really "the thing to do" back in the 80's. :giggle: Now that there is more information available on BF'ing and why it is best for baby, she is very pro-BF'ing and I think she would've been disappointed had I chosen not to BF. Although she says that she doesn't think she would've had the determination to stick it out like I did. (DD and I both had a lot of trouble in the beginning.)

Knowing that my mom BF'ed definitely planted that seed in my brain, and I'm sure I would've at least BF'ed DD for a few months on that information alone. But what I have learned from others in online communities and from reading up on BF'ing is what really made me push through all the difficulties we had in the beginning. I also don't think I would still be BF'ing at 13 months if not for the women I've "met" over the past few years who practice extended BF'ing/CLW.

this_mel_rocks 11-21-2007 09:46 AM

Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

Yes she did with both my bro and I, but only until she went back to work.

connorsmama 11-21-2007 09:47 AM

I mom breastfed all nine of us~~ (me and my 8 siblings) for at least three months each~

Mommy2bagain 11-21-2007 09:51 AM

My mom did not breast feed me but 7 years ago when my little sis was born she breast feed untill about 15 months but she does not encourage me to! What a shame!

saongiri 11-21-2007 09:54 AM

My mom bf'd all of us (she had 8 bio kids) for some period of time and is definitely pro bfing so when I discovered I was pg when I was 17 there was no doubt I was going to bf,I also had another teen mama friend who bf'd her babe so that helped, I also did a ton of reading and knew it was the best thing to do for my baby.I joined LLL when dd was 6 weeks old and that did influence me to continue nursing through pg and beyond.

courtney_adkins05 11-21-2007 09:57 AM

my mom nursed me and my bro for 2.5 yrs each...and we are 2.5 years apart. i didnt know what formula was until i was in HS and a friend had a baby and asked me to make her a bottle :headscratch: i was like uh...ur boobs are attatched to you dude :blush:

i had my girls and knew id be nursing...my 28 months old is saying mommy boobie as i type this and my 5 month old jsut fell asleep after nursing...

i did *NOT* think id nurse past 6 months but dd1 needed me still...then i didnt think id go past 1 yr haha @ that! then i figured dd1 would wean while i was pregnant...uh....yeah that didnt happen. never knew what tandem nursing was until i had dd2 and both had a boob in the birth center :)

:wub: :wub: :wub:

RockinClothBunz 11-21-2007 09:59 AM

No she didn't. She isn't anti-breastfeeding but isn't for it either. I knew it was the best thing for my babies. I regret not sticking to my ground and breastfeeding bradley longer (I had ppd and was pushed to stop) and I am so happy I have breastfed ava for an entire year. I give my encouragement props to out ped. She is like our breastfeeding angel and probably wouldn't be doing extended breastfeeding if it weren't for her knowledge, encouragement, support and enthusiam. She rocks!

afishwithabike 11-21-2007 10:00 AM

All three of us were bfed and CLW. It's wonderful to have that experience in my past.

huntersmomma 11-21-2007 10:54 AM

My mother did not BF us and she did not want me to either. At first, she always wanted to give Hunter a bottle and now she thinks I should start him on baby food:banghead: So I know she is going to have a problem with him nursing a year or longer:mrgreen:

Calideedle 11-21-2007 11:02 AM

My Mom Breastfed all 6 of her kids. Each for at least 2years (thats when the next baby came) EBF for the first year and BFed twins too!

I grew up with BFing as the norm and only option!

I was so thankful for my Mom because when I had DS and my nipples were bleeding and my boobs were huge so sat with me and helped me and wrote me a 4 pages letter on the benefits of BFing! My Mom is awesome!