Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Third tri and need some relief! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2781)

bfoster2000 05-01-2006 12:28 PM

Third tri and need some relief!

Hey everybody, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. My preg with DJ was SOOO easy and I've never felt better in my life. Plus, he was born at 34.5 weeks (after a whopping 5 hour labor!) so I never got to that really miserable wanna pop stage. This time, I think my body is making up for it!! I have been just miserable the entire time and I hate feeling like this! I want to be happy about the new baby and enjoy the anticipation and all that, but I just don't feel it...I mostly want to crawl under the covers and not come out for a few more months or something!

Anyway, I'm 27.5 weeks now and already I'm bigger than I was when DJ was born. That's not too encouraging for the next three months! I started having regular contractions at 23 weeks and the midwife sent me to the hospital for monitoring. They said that my cervix was thinner than it should be but not dilated so they gave me several options, I chose the lesser evil which was to go home and keep an eye on things while taking a hands off approach. So I've been drinking water till my eyes are floating, resting as much as possible with a toddler running around, trying to stay relaxed and watching for signs that things might be progressing. The midwife is watching closely too, but so far nothing has really alarmed her. A couple of times I've gotten a little worried and rushed in to be checked but it's turned out to be nothing and I feel like I'm crying wolf. :( It's always a relief to hear that things are ok and everything's the same, but at the same time, it makes me feel silly for worrying. My MW is very understanding but she keeps laughing and telling me that I'm going to drive myself crazy worrying for the next three months and then she'll wind up having to induce me in the end. I seriously doubt that!!

Anyway, I'm looking for natural ways to ease the discomforts of these next few weeks. Honestly, I feel like I'm walking around with a bowling ball between my legs already...it really is painful to even walk. I remember feeling that way with DJ but only a week or so before he was born and not nearly this bad. I'm seeing my chiropractor about once a week (sometimes more) which sometimes helps with the pain in my hips and back, but not always. It's painful to sit too...and it's painful to lay down (just a different kind of pain!) I've been alternating between sitting at my desk (which feels something like sitting on a bowling ball), laying on my side with my laptop (achy hips, back, etc...can't get my breath, heartburn), slouching on the couch with my laptop, and taking warm showers. Luckily, I telecommute with my job so I have some flexibility but I'm supposed to be online during business hours so I have to stay pretty close to the computer. In the evening, I'm chasing a toddler (and doing laundry, etc., because after all "d"h worked all day...don't even want to go there!)

I've been looking for one of those donut shaped hemmorhoid pillows wondering if that would help with the pain and pressure 'down there' but I haven't been able to find one. I also haven't managed to find a position that is even remotely comfortable for more than about 5 minutes at a time! I've been using a warm rice sock for the low back pain and hip pain...tylenol when it gets really bad but I feel so guilty about that! And dh makes fun of me for waddling when I walk but it really does feel like this baby is hanging halfway out of me! My MW thinks I'm joking when I say it feels like the baby is falling out...of course my OB thought I was exaggerating last time too and she barely made it in time to catch him!

Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated...I don't think there's any way I'm keeping this little guy cooking till the end of July, but it's going to be a very long couple of months if I don't figure out something soon!

Carrie 05-01-2006 01:12 PM

Re: Third tri and need some relief!

No advice, you are already doing everything I would recommend. (((HUGS))) to you though!

bethanyjoy 05-01-2006 01:23 PM

Sounds like you're doing mostly all you can. My favourite lift-me-up for third trimester is to get into the fun baby stuff...sort and wash baby clothes, do some shopping, maybe make something for the baby if you knit or crochet or sew...I make each of my boys a special blanket, it was so nice to pick it up and work on it, sort of reminded me of why I was going through all the icky things of pregnancy. Or you could start a scrapbook for the baby, or journal...make a belly cast...have some great belly pics taken...have henna done on your stomach.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there may not be a lot you can do to physically change things at this point...but maybe you can find some ways to boost your spirits and connect with your unborn babe. :hugs:

raversangel 05-01-2006 02:08 PM

with my second i had horrible pain down there towards the end...what helped was geting an excercise/birthing ball ($12 or so at walmart) and leaning over it with my chest on the ball and on my knees...that helped ALOT...i also found that when i sat on the birthing ball it helped too...funny i know...lol

mamato5angels 05-01-2006 02:40 PM

Excercise or birthing balls are great. I use one at my computer ( and I'm not even preggo) .

Thought I would suggest maybe a Bobby pillow to sit on (If you have one that is) Laying on your leftside might help also.

Go pick yourself some fresh flowers to brighten things up.

Sorry I can't be any more of a help.

rliszkowski 05-01-2006 04:54 PM

I really enjoyed laying in the tub with my big tummy down in the water. Sort of on my hands and knees. My butt would stick out of the water because my tub is so shallow but it really helped.

I also used to work on homework in the tub when I was in college. I had a wood shelf I layed across the sides of the tub. Then I put my laptop or books on my "desk" and sat in the water while I worked. You just have to be very careful to not splash water on the computer. I keep a dry towel within reach so I can dry my hands before I touched anything on the "desk".

zonapellucida 05-02-2006 04:21 PM

I feel the same way. The only time I am semi comfortable is when in the pool or on my hands and knees.

mamamac 05-02-2006 08:39 PM

I totally know what you mean! I am having #2 in 65 days (July 6th) and I am chasing #1 (only 14 months) around ALL day!! I cry at night because my back & tailbone hurt so bad. The little relief that I have had is going to the rec center and walk around in the pool and laying on a heating pad. I also make my dh rub my back before I go to bed. He keeps telling me to go get a massage, but the pregnancy ones are so expensive! The chiropractor seems to help a little, only problem is that he doesn't have a Preggo Table for the belly. So it makes adjustments a little harder. I also just keep telling myself that it will be all worth it in the end. It can just make for very long days, especially with my daughter, when you feel cruddy! My doc actually told me to "take it easy" and "don't lift a lot". I told him that wouldn't work (my husband works 24 hour shifts and my daughter weighs almost 30 pounds) and that he should take a break for 8 weeks and come over and help me out. His response was that he'd love too, however he didn't think that I would like it when he would tell me to stop doing whatever I wasn't suppose to. Which is correct, I can't stand it when someone tells me I shouldn't be doing that.

Hang in there!

bfoster2000 05-03-2006 07:10 AM

Thanks everybody. I did finally find a donut pillow and it has actually helped a lot. I still hurt a lot, but I was able to sit at my desk and work for a couple of hours straight yesterday which is a huge improvement from having to change positions every few minutes. I'm going to look for an exercise/birthing ball too. I know I've seen them around...just probably won't be able to find one now that I need it! Otherwise just counting down and trying to stay positive...pregnancy is SOOO different when you have a toddler! Even the emotional/psychological aspects are totally different. In the grand scheme of things it's only a few more weeks and I know it will be worth it all when the time comes...just gotta hang in there... :)

offlikeapromdress 05-09-2006 07:42 AM

I completely understand how you feel. I have a 3 yr old, an 11 mos old and am due the same time as you. My last baby was early and I was on bedrest for most of the pregnancy so this pregnancy has been like starting all over again. Im already outgrowing my maternity clothes and by 6pm Im sooo tired from chasing the girls around that I can barely stay awake. Last week I have noticed that Im slowing down and my house isnt staying as clean as it should. I also work from home for 4 hrs a day and I havent done that in a week. Im with ya sister. We can be complaint buddies..lol. Plus my boobs are really leaking all of a sudden, which a friend said could mean that my baby isnt that far off. I dont even want to get off the couch now..lol