Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Oh my aching nipple! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27816)

MommyMommyMommy 08-03-2006 09:36 AM

Oh my aching nipple!

My son is 10 months old and lately it seems like one problem with breastfeeding after another :cry:

First it was a sore (crack) on my nipple. Well, I didn't know it was an open sore, I just knew it hurt like heck but one time it got really bad so I unlatched the baby and along with the milk running down his chin was bright red blood!!!! I was able to get through that one by alternating positions so that it didn't get torn open again.

In the last couple of days on that same nipple, I've developed a kind of a sore. I don't really know how to explain it. It's kind of like a callous (sp?) it feels like a hard little bump. It's directly under the nipple (so still on the areola part) and hurts all the time, not just when I'm nursing. But when he nurses on that side, it's all I can do to not scream in agony!

I'm pretty sure he has a crappy latch. I could never get my first two kids to latch on so when this one started nursing, I was so happy that I've put up with a lot that I should have fixed. I don't think he brings his tounge down enough when he nurses and that's why I am getting the sores 'cause he has 7 of the sharpest teeth ever!

So I'm looking for advice and suggestions from anyone! Help my poor abused nipple please! I want to nurse this guy until he's ready to quit but I can' do it like this :cry:

bgjmhg03 08-04-2006 06:49 AM

Re: Oh my aching nipple!

I would definitely have a Lactation Consultant or LLL Leader check his latch. I am a Breastfeeding Counselor for WIC and it really does sound like a latch problem. Or maybe he is teething and that is causing the problem. For moms with younger babies I usually suggest a nipple shield which can help with correcting latch problems and also it can give you a chance to heal, but I don't know if a 10 month old would take the breast with a nipple shield on. They can be kind of set in their ways at that age! It might be worth a try, though.

MommyMommyMommy 08-04-2006 02:08 PM

Thanks for responding, I'll contact my LLL leader to see if she has advice for me. It's getting worse and now there is a red line from my nipple across my breast toward my armpit. I dread nursing and just really want to get this straightened out. :cry:

vick 08-04-2006 02:35 PM

Oh, you poor thing!

The red line *sounds* like it could be mastitis so I hope your LLL leader has some good guidance for ya. Nipple shields were the first thing that cam to my mind, but I know some folks don't like them ...

titania 08-04-2006 08:39 PM

could you have a milk blister? i had one and it was all i could do to even think about nursing on that side! i finally peeled it off (i know--yikes!) and it was heavenly, the relief. milk had become backed up because it couldn't get out due to the blister. from my understanding, a blister happenes when skin grows over a milk duct opening, so the milk can't get out. and it jsut hurts. all. the. time.

MommyMommyMommy 08-04-2006 10:10 PM

That might be it....or a clogged duct (that's what my LLL leader suggested over the phone). I went to urgent care and got a perscrip. for antibiotics because it turned into mastitis (thus the red line running up my breast). I'm still working on this sore/blister/clogged duct. Someone suggested nursing from over the baby to let gravity clear it out and that way actually feels great! Ds isn't too thrilled about that position so I have to kinda nurse him to sleep on the other side and then crouch over him. Looks crazy but hopefully it's working.

Yikes, boob problems are the worst!

Julesmom23girls 08-06-2006 11:56 AM

You may even try laying down on your bed or couch to nurse that side, just for a change of position. I hope it heals quickly. I had lots of latching problems w/ DD#1 so Know how painful it can be. I always thought they said nursing wasn't painful just to get women to do it. But w/ DD#2 I never had any pain, so now I know that it doesn't have to be that way. Just depends on if they learn to latch correctly, and having good professional support definately helps w/ that.

Good luck and feel better soon. Just a bit of advice, take it or leave it, try putting a bit of ice on it just before you nurse to numb it up a bit until he settles in, that way the beginnig latch won't be quite as painful. That was always the worst part for me at least.