Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   another hospital stay... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28043)

geckoed 08-04-2006 05:36 AM

another hospital stay...

my 18 month old is home now after another hospital stay. He has an immune disorder and gets frequent severe infections. He had a kidney infection, perianal strep, and cellulitis of the arm and toe. He was on 3 IV abx at first, down to 2 after the first 2 days. They had to put the IV in his ankle this time. They strapped him with pointed toes to a board. He's so strong they ended up securing it with a strip of plaster! He couldn't stand up then, which is a hardship for an active toddler. It wasn't our longest stay, but it was a hard one anyway, I think mostly because he wasn't as sick feeling. Usually the first few days he just sleeps and whines. This time though he remained strong the entire time. He's such a sweetie. The nurses all know him and ask to be his nurse, so we had all good nurses this time. They provided prefolds this time too :) I only have a handful of fitteds, but always take my fitteds and wool to the hospital. We couldn't use our wool this time though because the IV was in his leg. DH brought up my other wraps though.

We went to Cleveland (4.5 hour drive) over 3 weeks ago. They ran tests and said they would have some answers and a plan to keep him healthier in 10 days. STILL no answers, STILL no plan. I am SO frustrated!

Also does anyone have a durable toy Dr kit they love? In 3 months Lochlan has ONLY left the yard for Dr appts and hospital stays (we aren't allowed to take him anywhere because he gets sick). So all his "friends" are doctors. They brought in a toy stethoscope and he loved to put it on etc. I like the one by HABA, but I may need to get 2 since that one doesn't have a stethoscope or blood pressure cuff and those are a part of his life you know?

jennyofthemoon 08-04-2006 06:32 AM

Re: another hospital stay...

i don't have a doctor's kit, but just wanted to give you and your baby big hugs!

sesa70 08-04-2006 07:27 AM

I was wondering about you and your family Kim! Glad to hear your home again, but sorry it had to be after another hospital stay. But it does sound like Lochlan is in better spirits which is good news :goodvibes:

I can imagine how frustrated you must be about not hearing anything back... I have been watching for a thread from you about that but figured no news must be no news this time! LOL!

Well :hugs: to all of you and glad to see you back!

Sweetforestcat 08-04-2006 08:02 AM

I wanted to give you hugs. We go through the same thing too! We are not allowed to go anywhere or even be in daycare because of his immune condition. We have been to the hospital numerous times since DS was 2 months old. He always has fevers and infections too.

Sometimes the lab tests take a month or more for results. Our tests had to go to only one lab in the country that performed such tests so that is why it took so long!

I do have a fisher price doctor kit but DS has only played with it a few times. In fact we do not know where most of the pieces are located right now. Maybe you could look on amazon.com or Ebay for one? A HABA one would be really nice too!

Audriannasmommy 08-04-2006 03:01 PM

:hugs: My dd gets sick easily also but not that easy. I wish i had a dr set to give you. I will keep my eyes open for one. My dd has a dolly she brings with her to the hospital that has leg braces, wrist braces and even a cd i made. Does he have a dr bear

geckoed 08-04-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audriannasmommy
:hugs: My dd gets sick easily also but not that easy. I wish i had a dr set to give you. I will keep my eyes open for one. My dd has a dolly she brings with her to the hospital that has leg braces, wrist braces and even a cd i made. Does he have a dr bear

Aww the doll sounds cute! No, he doesn't have a Dr bear or anything like that. He um, takes his time learning new things and was slow to warm up to toys in general. He likes these nesting boxes we have and he had a really good time with the toy stethoscope. He plays with people more than things, but is getting more and more interested each day. I thought the Dr kit would be good since he likes to use the small broom when I sweep, or other "real things" and since he is at a Drs at least once a week this stuff is the stuff of his days KWIM?

geckoed 08-04-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetforestcat
I wanted to give you hugs. We go through the same thing too! We are not allowed to go anywhere or even be in daycare because of his immune condition. We have been to the hospital numerous times since DS was 2 months old. He always has fevers and infections too.

Sometimes the lab tests take a month or more for results. Our tests had to go to only one lab in the country that performed such tests so that is why it took so long!

Yeah we've had labs sent to that same lab I bet since we were told "there's only one that does it" Have they said anything about your other kids? If my older kids went to school they would have to stay home any time there was scarlet fever, strep, chicken pox, mono, etc etc etc in either their class or a classmates siblings class and any time there was chicken pox in the school at all. Do you go a little stir crazy? I can't even run errands any more! He can't go to the store or post office or ANYWHERE. At the Drs I have to keep him in a sling or MT and spray the table and we neurotically hand sanitize. Our list of precautions is HUGE and even carefully following it the boy STILL gets sick all the time. He's a GREAT kid and handles it all SO well, he's such a joyful little boy. Its hard to watch though and hard to WORRY all the time.

geckoed 08-04-2006 05:12 PM

Theresa! Thanks :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new pic of Celeste! She's SO pretty! You're so lucky to have her. I wish I could meet her, she always looks so happy and you speak of her with such love.

togg_mama 08-04-2006 05:28 PM

((hugs)) just wanted to give you some sympathy. I spent most of last year in the hospital with my late dd. NO FUN! :yuck: it was so frequent that she would freak as soon as we walked in the door.

I'll keep my eye out for dr. toy sets.

dessismama 08-04-2006 06:10 PM

((hugs)) Hope you find answers soon!!