Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Suspicious of new diaper website (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2809)

Ashley 05-01-2006 01:40 PM

Suspicious of new diaper website

I came across a new website
which is located in my home state of NC with grand opening specials and low shipping rates. I was just about to buy some HH's via paypal, but then got cold feet and thought, maybe this is a setup/scam. I spoke to the owner on the phone and she said she'd been open about 1 month.

Any suggestions/advice?

kugrinic 05-01-2006 01:42 PM

Re: Suspicious of new diaper website

wierd, so she isnt opened yet, but her site is promoting a sale through the 7th! she needs to update her website if she isnt ready

findingmyself 05-01-2006 01:43 PM

what is giving you the willies about it? as long as you pay with PP you should be ok.

Ashley 05-01-2006 01:44 PM

She is open...she opened about 1 month ago.

Samantha 05-01-2006 01:48 PM

Well, I looked through her site and didnt notice anything that sent up red flags for me?

Her HH's are on sale but not by TOO much (that would make me suspicious) Shipping over 65$ being free....thats nothing new...lots of wahms offer free shipping on orders over 25$ or 50$ etc.

I guess I dont know what is making you feel uncomfortable...

MomsHelpingMoms 05-01-2006 01:50 PM

I don't think it looks overly suspicious. Almost every store opens a few weeks before a Grand opening. That is what we are taught. You are supposed to create some sales first, that way, you don't go into a grand opening blindly and not know what to expect. Just my :2cents:

Ashley 05-01-2006 01:56 PM

Well, I'm wigging out a little b/c when I phoned she just answered "Hello" instead of with the diaper store's name. It just seemed weird that she has a toll free # listed, but answered with a plain Hello.

I'm not a real techie, but could she have that website set up to watch me log into my paypal account or something? Identity theft really scares me.

MomsHelpingMoms 05-01-2006 01:59 PM

There are so many other stores and WAHMommas out there that you don't need to be bothered with her site if it givies you the heebygeebies. Thanks for the heads up!

EasterBun 05-01-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley
Well, I'm wigging out a little b/c when I phoned she just answered "Hello" instead of with the diaper store's name. It just seemed weird that she has a toll free # listed, but answered with a plain Hello.

It's not that weird! A lot of the time WAHMs get 800 #'s as an addition to their home phone... and depending on the phone you are using, you don't always get the "special" ring that signifies it's an 800 # call. So odds are good she just got the call at home, and answered as she would any other call ;)

Samantha 05-01-2006 02:03 PM

Well...the reason she probably answered "Hello" is because she probably doesnt have a dedicated 800 number (like having 2 lines run into her house) You can get an 800# and just have it ring through to your main phone line...the only difference is the caller doesnt have to pay long distance charges. If people call me I will just say "Hello" because its my cell phone and I dont want to answer "Slightly Crunchy" when my MIL or Dh calls :giggle: Many WAHMS just use their existing phone line/cell phone for buisness use that way is just absorbed into the household costs rather than having the expense of a dedicated phone line just for the buisness.

As far as the "watching you" If you are worried about this just make sure that when you are forwarded to paypal make sure it is actually paypal (and look for the little lock to tell you its a secure website)

Otherwise, if you are worried, just order from somewhere else. Plenty of places have HH's you may not get them on sale...but I am sure you can get within a few $$ somewhere else.