Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Weird Cut that won't heal (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28334)

driftymaer 08-05-2006 07:25 AM

Weird Cut that won't heal

A few weeks ago-when we took dd to the hospital my ds stayed at my parents. He came home with a little scratch/cut on his leg-it looked like when your in the woods and get poked with a branch or stick. It got a little bigger and I thought that maybe he was messing with it-normally he plasters bandages all over himself. I watched him like a hawk and he wasn't even touching it at all. He said it hurt a little to touch. It was very red and a little swollen. I was worried about infection-I cleaned it with peroxide twice a day and used the neosporin etc. on it and it seemed to be getting better-it was weird because the skin was peeling away but underneath looked like good new skin. Yesterday he woke up and I checked it and now there are two new spots starting and open. There right on the edge of where the big one stopped. Anyone have a clue? I'm taking him to the Dr at 11:30 to check it out but this is really weird. He's never had a cut or scratch like this before. We were thinking it could be a tick bite but it really didn't look like one-plus there were two scratch marks almost the same and only one is going wonky. I knew I should have taken him last week, stupid me listened to my mom and sister when they said I was silly for taking him in for a little cut on his leg. I even showed my mom when she was here sunday. Ugh I'm never listening to anyone else again-every time something happens. Thanks.

Julesmom23girls 08-05-2006 08:17 AM

Re: Weird Cut that won't heal

Sounds weird. Maybe whatever he got scratched w/ had some germ on it that isn't responding to the neosporin. Anyway, I hope it is nothing serious, but I would take him it too just incase and since it isn't healling properly.

Keep us posted.

driftymaer 08-05-2006 12:41 PM

We just got back -finally. It's a staph infection-Impetago (sp?). Good thing I've been putting TTO into the wash just in case. He's on amoxi TID X 10 days. I just called my mother and told her that I'm never listening to her or my sister again about these things and that I don't care if my sister is a nurse. Every time I ask for advice on a health issue with my little ones I'm told that I have them at the Dr's too much. Aeddon is a very healthy child and is maybe at the Dr's once a year if that. Deme is another story-I try to keep her out of the Dr's and hospitals as much as possible since she catches everything, but with her breathing problems I don't have a choice. My super nurse of a sister keeps telling me that I'm stunting her growth with the breathing treatments-I finally got fed up and said "Yea? Well not breathing is gonna stunt her growth too!" She finally shut up about it. Sorry this turned into a rant.

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 08-05-2006 12:57 PM

Oh good thing you took him it!!! Hopefully it heals up real quick for you!! :hugs:

driftymaer 08-05-2006 01:08 PM

Ok next question. What do I use to disinfect my house? I just told dh that I have to disinfect the whole house and clean it just in case-who knows what he rubbed up against. Of course Dh told me that I'm nuts-I almost hope he gets it for his stupid remarks. Will TTO work? I have bleach and antibacterial stuff but what will work the best? When I started to get suspicious about it I started putting TTO into our regular wash, except for the whites I just bleached those.

I"m gona snap-what do I do about the furniture and the carpets? I have to go strip his bed and mine and wash the comforters. I can take the covers off of the couch cushions but the pillows are really big. I need chocolate-any advice would be super appreciated. Thanks

skayers01 08-05-2006 06:29 PM

Could the staph been introduced when he first got the scrape, and only now began to show signs? My dh got cellulitis in his leg all the way up to his groin from a mosquito bite on his ankle! I don't think I would worry about disinfecting the whole house. Germs are everywhere and you can't get rid of them all. I would just do the bathrooms and kitchen. I also spray DD's toys down with Clorox Everywhere spray, oh, and the doorknobs and charging table area. I'm glad he's okay.

When we to DH to the hospital, he was aleady running a fever and limping, the Army doc said to give him Benadryl for the mosquito bite! I said "And maybe something so his leg doesn't rot!" Geez! Hailyn also got bit by a cat the other day and we had to take her to her ped. the next day (Sat.) because it had swelled and was warm. She had to get a shot because in the time it took to get there, it had doubled in size!"

Julesmom23girls 08-05-2006 10:22 PM

I would use Lysol on furniture and other stuff that can't be washed. Lysol is supposed to kill Staph germs. Otherwise I would stick to scrubbing the bathtub stripping his bedding, spray his mattress w/ Lysol. I would imagine TTO would do the trick w/ your laundry, maybe google TTO and Staph to see if it is effective on that germy. Probably should keep it covered w/ a bandage until it heals, unless Dr said otherwise, that way he won't be bumping it on stuff and spreading the germs.

Glad you found out the problem, definately easier to treat when you know what it is. Hope it clears up soon.

skayers01 08-06-2006 01:39 AM

Does staph really spread that easily? :headscratch:

Julesmom23girls 08-06-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skayers01
Does staph really spread that easily? :headscratch:

I dunno??

driftymaer 08-06-2006 10:23 AM

It can spread quickly. If you have an open scrape or a break in your skin and touch it after either touching the spot on his leg or using the same towel, etc. Then you could also get it too. It is contagious. My sister works at the hospital and brought me a few cans of the spray stuff they have there-it kills almost everything. I'm still going to use the TTO and bleach in the wash for quite a while now since I can't remember what he's worn in the last few weeks-or what went into the wash with his stuff. I'm just kicking myself for not taking him in sooner-now it's going to be harder to heal. Thanks or letting me vent and your help-it just was a bad week. I think that I have it all under controll again. lol:laugh: :lostit: