Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help! Fenugreek? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286388)

mommyofmany 12-09-2007 08:40 PM

Help! Fenugreek?

I've been ebf my 9 wk old. I normally have oversupply issues and forceful letdown. All of the sudden it's like I have no milk. I know it could be my supply adjusting to what he needs,but I am really feeling like I am running low. My period is trying to start and I think that may be the problem. I am just very concerned since the last time my ds tried to nurse he hardly got any. I am not letting down either and I was up until around noon today. I know pumping isn't a good indicator,but I normally can pump at least 2 ounces per side and today I'm getting less then a ounce per side. Should I start taking fenugreek? If I do start it will my milk become dependent on it? My lo has never had a bottle and I really do not want to give him one. I have over 100 oz of bm frozen just in case,but I am really hoping it can stay frozen. Any advice is appreciated!

shastakat 12-09-2007 09:03 PM

Re: Help! Fenugreek?

Do you have to pump? That could be why DS isn't getting enough. Just a thought. Fenugreek didn't help me with DD1, it just made me smell funny(if you have ever smelled a fenugreek tablet, that's what you'll smell like). Not to mention that DS may not want to nurse because of how it will make you smell. Again, just a thought. Sorry I'm not being much help! But what ever is going on with your milk, I hope it's nothing major! :hugs:

mommyofmany 12-10-2007 05:48 AM

Thanks for the support! Everything seems to be fine this morning so not sure what yesterday was all about:headscratch: I'm thinking it was a temporary drop since I was spotting and af was trying to show. I just don't want anything to mess up our nursing so I was starting to panic!

shastakat 12-10-2007 07:08 AM

Oh how I completely understand that! I'm glad to hear that things are better this morning! :mrgreen:

mengmommy 12-10-2007 10:25 AM

I think sometimes you just have days like that. I just got over a major cold (fever for 10 days, stuffy/runny nose, coughing) and my supply (for the first time in 4 years aside from when I was pg with dd) dropped really low. I'm pretty sure that dd was hungry for a few days, but she refused to eat anything else...so I guess she was ok with waiting for my supply to come back up. Its doing lots better right now. Just make sure you drink plenty of water. You can also eat oatmeal. I personally like taking Nettle a lot...it seems to boost my supply quite well. I started taking that last April because I wanted to start donating milk. For a while, the combination of Nettle and Fenugreek was getting me 20 extra oz a day! I'm done donating now though, dd has increased her needs and my body was ready to rest from that.

Oh yeah, and make sure not to take a decongestant either...that can really dry you up.

mommyofmany 12-10-2007 11:02 AM

Nettle? Is that in a pill? How much did you take of each? Also did you have to wean off of them? Thank you for the help! My supply is still low today so I am considering taking something.

ckdasho 12-10-2007 03:06 PM

You can also take "Mother's Milk" tea whenever you feel like your supply is a bit low. You can hopefully find it at a health food store or something like that. I've never smelled funny, but then again, my LO isn't very picky!

Whenever I feel like my supply is low, I just whip up a cup of it and the next day it seems to help. I too find that my supply goes up and down just enough for me to notice. And congrats on BFing!!!

amrijane128 12-10-2007 03:33 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, and took a few fenugreek and got HORRIBLY engorged. Plus I smelled like maple syrup for weeks. Lol. Try to take in alot more fluids, personally, I would try to wait it out before taking fenugreek again. I was so worried about losing my supply that I rushed to it, and I believe it would have been fine if I hadn't taken the pills. Good luck!