Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I don't get EBF for 12 months? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287178)

mcpforever 12-11-2007 07:34 AM

I don't get EBF for 12 months?

:wub: Please, no flames.
I am just trying to figure out why so many moms here choose to EXCLUSIVELY bf all the way to 12 months. Now, I understand about those babies who are not developmentally ready, have super sensitive tummies, or prefer to bf. They obviously don't need/want the solids.
But what about the babies that DO show an interest and ARE developmentally ready? Why withhold solids? I'm not advocating stuffing baby, just experimentation.
Is it to ensure proper supply?
Help with the birth control situation?
Let mom eat that bowl of ice cream without guilt? (Hey, I've done it! :blush: )
Please, gently enlighten me. :wub:

doberbrat 12-11-2007 08:16 AM

Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Well, first off, there’s a convenience factor. I found feeding solids to be a royal pia. You have to carry it, warm it (dd wouldn’t eat it room temp) feed it and clean up the mess. Personally, I will NEVER see the appeal of starting solids early.

But more importantly, for allergy-prone kids, the sooner you introduce foods, the more likely it is your child will develop allergies to them.

plus, bm is the PERFECT food. so why trade off 'lesser' foods for the perfect food?

~Peach~ 12-11-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 2295936)
:wub: Please, no flames.
I am just trying to figure out why so many moms here choose to EXCLUSIVELY bf all the way to 12 months. Now, I understand about those babies who are not developmentally ready, have super sensitive tummies, or prefer to bf. They obviously don't need/want the solids.
But what about the babies that DO show an interest and ARE developmentally ready? Why withhold solids? I'm not advocating stuffing baby, just experimentation.
Is it to ensure proper supply?
Help with the birth control situation?
Let mom eat that bowl of ice cream without guilt? (Hey, I've done it! :blush: )
Please, gently enlighten me. :wub:

Right now Im exclusively bfing my 7 1/2 month old. We do it for no other reason then baby food stops her up and nothing works without some pretty bad side effects (prune juice makes her puke and i hate putting suppositories up her butt). Honestly I think if you are denying your child baby food for the sake of birth control or some other reason its selfish and wrong. But if its for baby then I get it.

ceilismom 12-11-2007 11:16 AM

I think EBf for 12 months can mean a couple of different things. For some, it means that breastmilk is the only food that baby gets period. For others, it may mean that breastmilk is the only thing that baby gets to drink. No formula, cow's milk, juice, water etc. I can see the reasoning behind it beyond medical reasons or baby's preference though. It seems logical that if a baby were meant to eat solids they'd have molars to chew food with. That said, EBF for 12 months wasn't for me, but I can see why some families might choose it.

iKim 12-11-2007 11:31 AM

My son had some solids at 6 months, but not too much.....He preferred the breast, which IMO was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier for me.....

sbolen 12-11-2007 12:06 PM

We started solids a few weeks ago, but really only doing it because she would stare at us when we ate and would reach for our food...so we figured she is ready. We feed her solids really only for the experience though and not for the nutrition. She gets all of that through bm.

Psychomom 12-11-2007 01:00 PM

Well, for us it was because my baby refused all solids until he was 14 months old. We did try many times to give solids but time and time again he refused. So that's why, for us.

Also, I agree that messing with baby food is a PITA! We did purposefully wait until 9-10 months when we thought he could handle finger foods to avoid the mushed up baby food stage.

mcpforever 12-11-2007 02:01 PM

So far, these seem like valid reasons-
Baby doesn't want solids
Baby doesn't tolerate solids well
Allergy prone

I have seen threads here where ladies post about EBF meaning no solids-just BM. Both my babies love to eat so I guess I'm just baffled. :headscratch:

ETA: I personally don't find the babyfood work to be any more troublesome than CDing or BFing every 2-3 hours.

sarahpotter 12-11-2007 02:20 PM

My son simply was just not interested in anything but the breast!

luvmy2girls 12-11-2007 02:43 PM

I think it's important to tout the benefits of exclusively BFing (EBF=Exclusively Breastfed=Nothing but breastmilk, nothing) because so many people are so anxious to start at 6 or even 4 months. Breastmilk is the superior infant food and should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year, so why replace that with something less? I'm not against offering some solids for experimentation/touch/texture, but I nurse to fullness first. :2cents: