Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   help with supply (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288566)

xois 12-13-2007 07:59 AM

help with supply

so...i'm working full time and emerson is in daycare from about 7:15 to 3:45.

I pump at 9 (around 4 oz) and then I go to the center and nurse her at 11...then I pump again around 2 (about 2-3 oz), then we go home and she nurses on demand (and seems satisified) until she goes to bed between 6:30-7:30. I pump 3 hours after she goes to sleep...(3-4 oz)...she gets up once in the night (between 2-4) and nurses. On weekends, she nurses on demand.

i give her about 3oz of solid food at dinner time too...then she nurses right after (and seems to nurse the same)

she is 6 months and 2weeks, weights ~14lbs.

Right now, I pack her 2 bottles for daycare that are 4oz. I nurse her at 11. She also has 2oz of applese with 1tbs of rice cereal mixed in for morning and 2oz of yams or squash and 1oz of peas for the afternoon...she also takes water from a sippy cup

however, I'm not sure Im packig her enoug milk...but I don't know when to fit in an extra pumping session...

Help...I don't have much frozen...i'd like to avoid supplementing with formula if possible.

how much do you think I should put in her bottle..and how can I get more out of each pumping session :( and how can I fit in an extra pumping session?

amcess721 12-13-2007 08:14 AM

Re: help with supply

I found this site last night...
workandpump.com

I plan to look through it before I go back on Monday...

mcpforever 12-13-2007 09:40 AM

I did the pump and work business with my DS (now 5) until he was 12 months old. I worked as a music teacher and my schedule was different every day. I could always get in two pumping sessions (and it sounds like you're doing great if you can get in two sessions during the day and also nurse her once :thumbsup: That kind of adds up to 3 sessions!)
I did pump first thing in the morning at home AFTER DS did his morning nursing. Your body has a lot of milk then and it is helpful to get the "leftovers." I did it on the weekends too. It was a PITA, but it made me feel more secure to have those extra ounces. I also got nervous about supply and pumped after he went to bed, too.
I too sent DS two 4 oz bottles of BM and I didn't get the chance to nurse him during the day the way you do. I did send some frozen in case of growth spurts, etc. and it mostly just sat in the freezer. Once he weaned at 12 months, I had TONS of frozen milk that I ended up throwing away. (I stored it in bags and then put the bags in empty boxes that used to have those little stuffed chicken thingies in them from Sam's club. I threw away at least 2 of those boxes full! :banghead: )
My friend who had a baby the day before me and had a more regular schedule pumped at 7:30 (right before the students came to her classroom) and at 10:30 (when her class went to PE every day). Sometimes she pumped at 2:45 (when the kids left) and then left as soon as she was allowed to at 3:15.

It sounds like you are doing great. If she seems hungry the people caring for her at the daycare center will let you know and you can send more. Until then, keep on keeping on and just freezed any extra you have. (Then be sure and send the oldest frozen stuff before it goes off so that you can still make use of it and continue to stockpile.)
If you really want to add a pumping session, try right after the first morning's feed.

Jujubazooka 12-13-2007 01:46 PM

As the PP mentioned, pumping the early morning is great. You could also pump while you're nursing.