Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Large Family Daily Meal Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28870)

ZooCrew10 08-07-2006 10:29 AM

Large Family Daily Meal Planning

seeking some input from momma's of families with 6+ children (ESP those larger families with teens!!!). Not that I don't value the input of momma's with smaller families, you just might not have the kind of grocery bill and needs that a larger family would! Anyway, I am trying to become more time efficient to help organize my days, and figured I'd give meal planning a whirl as I have heard good things about it being great for the wallet. I usually buy most of our groceries in large amounts, I thought I'd do it a bit differently with dinner meal planning (I still need bulk for after school and weekend snacks, yk? they plow through the food!!). Does meal planning really help with a large family? Will it save me some money in the long run? I've already gotten my plan for the week on my bulletin board....we'll see how it goes!

Willys Woolies 08-07-2006 11:02 AM

Re: Large Family Daily Meal Planning

I'm gonna "watch" this one too! LOL!!! We currently don't really "Plan"...it's more a fly by the seat kid of thing. I shop/buy only what is on sale and store brands to help save money. I also make most of our foods "homemade" and don't buy any processed stuff...that helps cut the bill down quite a bit too.

allycat 08-07-2006 12:43 PM

Some of my favourite, easy, I'm-not-a good cook meals are:
Chicken breasts(boneless) either plain or with breading or shake and bake
spagghetti
chili
hamburgers and hot dogs
beef stew (crockpot)
Crock pot meals
pizza-home made or out
breakfast foods-use a large plugin skillet for this)

Lunches
sandwiches
pb and celery
mac and cheese
pizza-home made
cheese and crackers
salads

Breakfast
oatmeal
pancakes
waffles
cereal
eggs
muffins
french toast

snacks
crackers
veggies
fruit
nuts/seeds
popcorn
etc.

We have whatever veg., fruit, or bread that we have around the house with meals.

ZooCrew10 08-08-2006 09:47 PM

Well I sat down and figured out how much dinner costed last night. We had chicken and rice with a cream of chicken soup sauce, and green beans (canned). I figured that the dinner came to roughly $7.00 probably less as I'm being generous. That fed 9 of us as the oldest is still in Army Bootcamp at Ft. Sill, and the youngest doesn't eat a whole lot (smushes it around her high chair more than actually consumes it, yk?). Not bad for a lot of mouths. I couldn't figure out tonights' as we had hot dogs with chili and mac-n-cheese and I had bought the dogs in a large box previously and can't recall what I spent! We'll see how this turns out. It's nice having a plan for the evening meal tho as I know in advance how much time I'll need to prepare it.

TwinKristi 08-08-2006 10:03 PM

I'm gonna be watching this too. I have 5 boys and they eat a LOT! I am spending quite a bit and it all gets eaten! I plan our meals out ahead of time and shop per weekly menu and then do big stock ups at Costco as often as we need/can. It helps a lot for us!

jkelstaten 08-08-2006 10:17 PM

I don't have 6 six kids, but because of our budget I am extremely into eating and living frugal. Meal planning will help because you will be able to plan using similar ingredients throughout the week and continue to buy in bulk. Really watch sales and always use coupons combined with a sale if you can (esp. double coupons) Also, I suggest "google"ing things like:
frugal living
low-cost meals
cheap meal planning
frugal cleaning

You can find lots of great tips.
Use a lot of things that are very cheap to buy in bulk (non-processed) like
long grain rice, dry beans, pasta, etc. With a little practice making homemade bread can save you a lot also. You can make several batches in one day doing all but the baking step and freeze the dough so the next time you need a loaf you just pull it out, thaw and bake. Also focus more on fruits and veggies than on the meat because it's so expensive. Figure out the cheapest price you can buy meat for and refuse to buy it for anything more. Buy it in bulk and the sale will come around again in a few weeks.

Hope some of these tips help!

zonapellucida 08-09-2006 05:21 AM

thanks! I like making their sanck foods too!

Namaste 08-09-2006 07:21 AM

Smaller family here too but I have a great "recipe" for American Chop Suey (it is a northern New England favorite) that rocks! LMK! I make enough for two days when I make it.